Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
How to change from Kosher?

Hello,
Flying EWR to NRT next month and trying Polaris Business Class. In my profile I have Kosher listed, but want to try the menu offered for the flight. I do not see any way to change the special meal option back from Kosher to the standard meal. Any tips??

Cheers!
JudyJFLA
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Hello,
Flying EWR to NRT next month and trying Polaris Business Class. In my profile I have Kosher listed, but want to try the menu offered for the flight. I do not see any way to change the special meal option back from Kosher to the standard meal. Any tips??

Cheers!
JudyJFLA
Call reservations and have them remove the special meal request.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Flight change in J, but special meal didn't register

Changed flight via app. in J class. Special meal (Veggie, lacto/ ovo) that was in original flight, did not update in new flight and therefore had no meal that was entirely edible loaded. This isn't the first time that if I didn't call 800# and specifically check and request if it was in the reservation for each segment, I ran the risk of it not being accommodated. Any one else have this issue? Seems like it's a software glitch....but it's an annoying and inconvenient one...especially on my recent 12 hour flight in paid J where I really couldn't eat.....
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I can't imagine a paid J flight on a GS, that UA can't get this one right.

How close was the change of flight versus the day of departure?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:04 am

If you haven't already then you should definitely file a complaint. United will almost certainly give you some compensation and you deserve it too.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
I can't imagine a paid J flight on a GS, that UA can't get this one right.

How close was the change of flight versus the day of departure?
>2 days
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Their database for special meals doesn't work properly at all. Even with no changes, I only get my GF meal c 90 per cent of the time. But when I book a trip for my wife (logged in to my account but using her profile which is set for a regular meal) she normally gets given a GF meal.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ryder1650
Generally been getting AVML for years on my SFO to Asia flights. The meals have always been really good, especially the pre-arrival breakfast. However, the last 2-3 times I've flown, the breakfast meal has turned into this non-Indian style sugar bomb of poorly cooked oatmeal and syrup. It is vegetarian, so I guess it counts, but really hope they go back to the Indian style breakfasts which were awesome!
as an aside, first time in 20+ years flying UA (besides flights to/from India) where an Indian vegetarian meal was offered as one of the STANDARD choices in Y — chicken, pasta, or IVML. On SFO-AKL two weeks ago.

The main hot dish was almost the same as my special meal AVML but with a different wrapper. Bravo United! But not a route where I would have expected it!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:47 pm

Got $200 travel cert. btw.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Best Special Meals to Order

Following this thread, as I am flying (later this year), Polaris soft product for the first time. As an Air Canada Elite 75K/Star Gold, I realize I'll be down the pecking order in terms of meal choice on UA....

So, if I were to pre-order a special meal, which are the better ones, and which ones should I avoid on LAX - SIN and return?

Does anyone have experience with the Asian Veg, or Vegan options?

Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA, LH, BA
is it possible to see a record of special meal request on UA's website or via email?

is it possible to see a record of special meal request on UA's website or via email?

I get the feeling that UA's special meal request system is either not very good or simply broken. I always make the request during booking and then follow up with a call to a live person at the Premier desk at least 2 to 3 weeks before the flight.

However, chances of me actually getting the requested special meals have been hovering around 1 in 5 at best. (all international flights 12 hours or longer, mostly out of the SFO, ORD, IAD)

is it possible to see a record of special meal request on UA's website or via email? Not that it makes any difference when I'm in the middle of the ocean starving or filling up on cookies or crackers as my main meal.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by geometry
is it possible to see a record of special meal request on UA's website or via email? ...
Have never heard of anyone having that sort of access.
Originally Posted by geometry
... I always make the request during booking and then follow up with a call to a live person at the Premier desk at least 2 to 3 weeks before the flight....
The historical recommendation on this forum is to call about 2 days prior, but before T-24.

From the thread's wiki
Special meals must be requested at least 24 hours in advance and if requested earlier, it seems a good practice to verify again at the 24 hour point. Note, if the special meal is of importance, it may be appropriate to have a backup plan, just in case.
In looking at the wiki history, appears I wrote that recommendation
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
does anyone have an opinion for domestic F, what the best special meal is, i know it is a matter of choice, but who's experienced decent meals

recently
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by lehms
does anyone have an opinion for domestic F, what the best special meal is, i know it is a matter of choice, but who's experienced decent meals

recently
Special meals domestically only exist on P.S. and some Hawaii flights
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by N104UA
Special meals domestically only exist on P.S. and some Hawaii flights
False.

I actually quite enjoyed the KSML that I had from CLE-SFO, pictures near the beginning of this TR on my blog:
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...t-2-days-maui/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.