Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,... only AVML, GFML, Kosher, VGML meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,... only AVML, GFML, Kosher, VGML meals

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:24 pm

Also that you will get it even if you sit in the last row of Y
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Vegan vs vegetarian (can include diary , eggs, cheese, ...)
Maybe this is an unrelated question/comment, but is there any actual evidence that United provides a different meal when you order a Lacto-ovo vs. Vegan meal? They're both shown as different special meals on the website, but every time I've ordered a Lacto-ovo vegetarian meal (which could theoretically include dairy/eggs), I've been given a tiny and tasteless vegan meal. I get that it makes sense from an operational perspective to provide a single meal that technically meets both criteria, but it's a little annoying that they act like a lacto-ovo vegetarian meal is a real option when I seem to always end up with a vegan meal instead....
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Cissigys
Maybe this is an unrelated question/comment, but is there any actual evidence that United provides a different meal when you order a Lacto-ovo vs. Vegan meal? They're both shown as different special meals on the website, but every time I've ordered a Lacto-ovo vegetarian meal (which could theoretically include dairy/eggs), I've been given a tiny and tasteless vegan meal. I get that it makes sense from an operational perspective to provide a single meal that technically meets both criteria, but it's a little annoying that they act like a lacto-ovo vegetarian meal is a real option when I seem to always end up with a vegan meal instead....
In my experience this happens with multiple airlines. To get a less tasteless meal, ordering an AVML has helped for me.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:33 pm

My wife flew SFO to LHR today and was able to and did request an AVML meal. She reports, unfortunately, that AVML consisted of plain rice and boiled vegetables and definitely not South Asian. I am sure I will be sad when I hear of what her breakfast consisted of. Looks like United is sending out vegan meals as the lowest common denominator.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goatee87
My wife flew SFO to LHR today and was able to and did request an AVML meal. She reports, unfortunately, that AVML consisted of plain rice and boiled vegetables and definitely not South Asian. I am sure I will be sad when I hear of what her breakfast consisted of. Looks like United is sending out vegan meals as the lowest common denominator.
This would be super disappointing as having some flavor is the point of how UA defines AVML. It traditionally has a slight Indian vibe (curry, veggies, sometimes even paneer). My go-to choice.

Hope it is an aberration and the meals out of LHR are better - they know curry in London!
abaheti likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
This would be super disappointing as having some flavor is the point of how UA defines AVML. It traditionally has a slight Indian vibe (curry, veggies, sometimes even paneer). My go-to choice.

Hope it is an aberration and the meals out of LHR are better - they know curry in London!
Same here on LAX-NRT. AVML was vegan for both meals. To United's credit the breakfast wasnt bad.

I agree this is to common - happens with ANA too, but Delta's vegetrarian meals to/from Japan have been far superior and include dairy.
abaheti likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by excinit
Same here on LAX-NRT. AVML was vegan for both meals. To United's credit the breakfast wasnt bad.

I agree this is to common - happens with ANA too, but Delta's vegetrarian meals to/from Japan have been far superior and include dairy.
Worth risking avml from London to SF? Flight departing tomorrow
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Unclear what you are risking. Flight is over 10 hours. Even without eating whatever meal UA decides to serve, there will be some other items to eat. If you don't think that's ok, you have the option of bringing items on board either from LHR or before you arrive at the airport.

This is FlyerTalk. Everyone should be rationally assessing their travel situation and responding accordingly.

David
Old May 1, 2022, 2:49 am

I would risk it and trust London catering knows what to do (Indian style mains) - they know curry

But carry on a snack just in case Kirby has derated the offerings
Old May 1, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hyatt-ist, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by excinit

Could any who have ordered AVML since its recent re-introduction give descriptions/examples/photos of what they were served as AVML, especially on Polaris or premium transcontinental/P.S. routes? Just curious what I could expect if I wanted something other than "beef, fish/chicken, pasta" to break the monotony of the past couple of years.
Old May 1, 2022, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I would risk it and trust London catering knows what to do (Indian style mains) - they know curry

But carry on a snack just in case Kirby has derated the offerings
That's what I am thinking/hoping. Boiled vegetables and rice would totally ruin the experience.

Originally Posted by travelingman79
Could any who have ordered AVML since its recent re-introduction give descriptions/examples/photos of what they were served as AVML, especially on Polaris or premium transcontinental/P.S. routes? Just curious what I could expect if I wanted something other than "beef, fish/chicken, pasta" to break the monotony of the past couple of years.
See my post above, AVML out of SFO on polaris was functionally equivalent to a western-style vegan meal.
Old May 1, 2022, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by travelingman79
Recently had Asian Veg on EWR-ZRH.
The dinner was not worth to be photographed. It was Indian style - Taste and presentation were both terrible.
Dinner was Flattened rice (Poha) with some spinach and veggies on side.

Food taste/quality has dropped so severely. Incredible!!

For "breakfast" on that flight, was offered the French Toast from the regular menu as "Vegetarian".
Since it is basically bread cooked in eggs, I did not partake.
Was surprised there was no special meal for the breakfast. (Way In the past it used to be a frozen Bagel packed in plastic).
Old May 1, 2022, 11:28 pm

That breakfast is a miscater and should be reported (complaint) - special meal means all meals, even a midflight snack if applicable
Old May 2, 2022, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What is the difference between a special veggie meal and the veggie meals they already offer?
a ‘guarantee’ that you should get what it is. May or may not be different than the, say, veggie pasta already offered. But they won’t run out (unless they forget to cater it or lose the order…unfortunately more common on UA than other carriers based on anecdotal evidence…stories here for sure), and also, you’ll get served earlier and can finish/sleep earlier if you want.

Originally Posted by Cissigys
technically, any vegan meal is vegetarian (or more specifically, a vegan meal by default meets requirements for lacto-ovo, but not the other way around). I agree that it would be nice to have different options for each, but the descriptions say it ‘may contain’ dairy, eggs, cheese, etc. for lacto-ovo and not ‘will’. So technically, providing a vegan for those ordering Lacto-ovo is not out of scope.

interestingly enough, UA also, at least per-pandemic, did their meals a little differently than most others. Technically, their ‘Hindu’ meal is AVML, vs. others which typically have the Hindu as a meat option (no beef/pork).

Originally Posted by thesmiler
In my experience this happens with multiple airlines. To get a less tasteless meal, ordering an AVML has helped for me.
Agreed - pretty much everywhere I’ve had/seen lacto-ovo seems just pretty sad, plain veggies, unless they do something like a pasta. One example, ordered veggie on TK once, and despite having some of the best Y catering of any airline Ive flown, the lacto-ovo was really disappointing. Didn’t make that mistake again.

due to the AVML style of meals, as in usually an Indian-style curry or similar with flavorful sauces/spices, these are almost always better.

I wonder if it was a mis-cater? Did she look at the code on the special meal she received - they always have it and would indicate if she got something different than ordered.

tomorrow? Better be quick - special meals need to be ordered prior to T-24 hours, IIRC.

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Recently had Asian Veg on EWR-ZRH.
The dinner was not worth to be photographed. It was Indian style - Taste and presentation were both terrible.
Dinner was Flattened rice (Poha) with some spinach and veggies on side.

Food taste/quality has dropped so severely. Incredible!!

For "breakfast" on that flight, was offered the French Toast from the regular menu as "Vegetarian".
Since it is basically bread cooked in eggs, I did not partake.
Was surprised there was no special meal for the breakfast. (Way In the past it used to be a frozen Bagel packed in plastic).
yup - that French Toast was not AVML.

interestingly enough, and this was a few years back, we were ex-pats in BOM and so did the EWR-BOM and vv. in J. Wife, who is from South India and grew up in MAA, so knows good Indian food, was way more impressed with the ex-EWR AVML than the ex-BOM.
ft4lyf likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Anyone have experience with GFML since the restart. Have requested this for my wife for a trip in a couple of weeks (IAH-MUB/MUC-IAD in Polaris)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.