Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,... only AVML, GFML, Kosher, VGML meals

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,... only AVML, GFML, Kosher, VGML meals

Old Jul 27, 2023, 7:46 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by UAFAM
Do they offer Freshko kosher meal out of IAD, (since IAD is pretty close to NJ)?
ex-EWR only.
Pre-COVID there were plans to expand to IAD, but those were tabled.
SPN Lifer and UAFAM like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 1:18 am

AVML SFO-LHR 19 Aug 2023

Pretty disappointing. Lentils were plain and flavorless, curry was a little better but definitely not the Indian style I was hoping for.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skykilometers
AVML SFO-LHR 19 Aug 2023
Pretty disappointing. Lentils were plain and flavorless, curry was a little better but definitely not the Indian style I was hoping for.
Wow, out of SFO no less? The UA AVML used to be so good. That looks like something I would see out of FCO.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skykilometers
AVML SFO-LHR 19 Aug 2023

Originally Posted by abaheti
Wow, out of SFO no less? The UA AVML used to be so good. That looks like something I would see out of FCO.
this has been my experience out of SFO since COVID as well

It used to be a lentil/dhal, paneer, veggies rice all Indian spiced. Now it’s bland and limp entree and cold lentils on the side. But they still give naan and plain yogurt like nothing has changed.

SIN does it right. I would hope LHR does as well. Good luck!

Until SFO fixes this problem I would pre-order the menu vegetarian option outbound and request the AVML for the return.

To add insult to injury, they wouldn’t give me grilled cheese or soup because a (crap) special was loaded for me for the midflight snack. It was the same cold lentils and cold raw veggies! I wanted the bread/soup!
abaheti likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
ATH-EWR gluten free pre-arrival meal/snack. Rather sad looking "salad". The two "sides" were the same from the lunch service.

Old Jan 13, 2024, 8:55 am

AVML DEN-MUC 19 Dec 2023
United Economy

The Asian vegetarian meal was a vegetable curry and rice. Some spices -- fairly tasty. Plus a salad and a yogurt.
There was also a gluten-free roll -- which was barely edible.
The curry container said "Rajbhog Foods Chana Masala Mixed Vegetable Curry"
My son had the regular meal and it was a bland chicken pasta. He said he wished he had gotten my meal.

Breakfast was a fresh watermelon and blueberries and a muffin (I think it unfortunately was also gluten-free -- but it was OK).
(For comparison, the regular breakfast was an egg sandwich.)

The specials meals came out ahead of all the regular ones.

LHR-DEN 2 Jan 2024 United Economy
It appeared that since there was a vegetarian choice on the regular meal service there was no "special" meal. (AVML has been in my profile for years and I've never had to make a special request).
There were a very few special meals that got distributed but weren't close enough to me to see what they were.
I should have followed up with the crew, but didn't.
At any rate -- it was an unremarkable lentil and rice dish. But again...comparing meals with the family -- we agreed the AVML was the preferable choice.
Jm0115 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ElementK
The Asian vegetarian meal was a vegetable curry and rice. Some spices -- fairly tasty.
[...]
At any rate -- it was an unremarkable lentil and rice dish. But again...comparing meals with the family -- we agreed the AVML was the preferable choice.
I have a request for the Asian vegetarian in my profile.
I started doing that as it initially was more spicy and tasty than other options. However, over recent years I've found them to be very bland.
I find that disappointing as a main point of a curry is that it should be at least moderately spicy!
I mainly fly IAD/CDG, but also a variety of other routes.
abaheti likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:10 am

Kosher meal booked and marked but not served on route?

We flew Houston to Quito Ecuador recently. I ordered us kosher meals by calling into United.

On the flight, the meals weren’t there (we are okay eating vegetarian, so the normal main veggie option was fine, so we were okay).

But I am curious. The flight attendant saw the KSML on their paper work, but she said she was surprised they let me as they don’t serve it on that route and that I “must have booked with a partner or that shouldn’t have happened”.

Given this wasn’t a partner flight, but a United one that I even called in on:

* is there a way to tell which routes have Kosher special meal options and which don’t?
* any specific reason this route doesn’t?
* when calling into United, is there a way for the rep to tell me or know that they don’t offer it vs book me and tell me that I was all set up?
* or if I called back a few days before, would they know then?
* Or any other way to know they wouldn’t in fact offer it and even put on the flight paperwork for the flight attendants?

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
UA states "most flights over 2000 miles", which at least distance-wise should have qualified (just).

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...l-meal-service

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.