Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,... only AVML, GFML, Kosher, VGML meals

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,... only AVML, GFML, Kosher, VGML meals

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 24, 22, 12:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
We are working hard to return our special meal program to more flights across the United network. Check for the latest updates on special meal availability below. As a reminder, vegetarian options are offered on all flights where a meal service is provided. Regular vegetarian options do not require a special meal request. However, these options are available for pre-order on select flights. Refer to the Preorder Meal page for further details.

Special meals

Special meals must be requested at least 24 hours in advance and if requested earlier, it seems a good practice to verify again at the 24 hour point. Note, if the special meal is of importance, it may be appropriate to have a backup plan, just in case. For a variety of reasons, the special meal may not be actually available and the crew may not be able to provide any acceptable alternatives. Don't take a chance in a critical situation, have an backup alternative.

See the website for the current list of options.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 27, 22, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
anomaly for sure. Iíve flown 837 SFO-NRT many times going back to the 744 days <sigh> and it has always been a logically paired Indian meal. Plus sometimes a salad, which doesnít really match but I like anyways.

I just returned SIN-SFO and ironically my Indian entree was paired with a western bun instead of naan. SIN catering should know better
In SIN, yeah, for sure.

we just flew AC/NH SFO-SIN, and had the weird AVML with western style bun for some meals on both. I forget which exactly, but definitely ex-SIN, wife got naan (I think she actually had a Jain meal for that one, but canít remember for sure). At least one of the ex-NRT meals on AC had naan as well, but most had the same roll as everyone else.

no Indian desserts of any kind either on AC. Ex-YVR we got vegan cookies (choc. chip for one meal, cranberry oatmeal on the other), and Kit Kats for both ex-NRT (I realize the KitKat thing in Japan, but really, for an AVML!)

Point is, apparently itís not just a UA thing to mix and match AVML with western-style.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Aug 8, 22, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I had a decent (not great) Kosher meal and a surprisingly tasty quartet of gluten-free meals last week in J. I'll post pictures when I can.

In short, special meals are the way to go right now, especially on premium transcontinental flights (Polaris too).
fed planner likes this.
Old Aug 8, 22, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I had a decent (not great) Kosher meal.
"Decent leads the way"
CJ99 and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Aug 16, 22, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Here's a review of my kosher meal:

https://liveandletsfly.com/kosher-meal-united-airlines/

(disclaimer - link to blog)

I'm not going to post more here to avoid cross-posting, but will post pictures in the Let's Eat thread.

In short, Regal/Bornstein caters out of LAX, which means a frozen meal, but on my LAX-JFK flight I found the kosher meal still better than the two regular choices.
Old Aug 16, 22, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Here's a review of my kosher meal:

https://liveandletsfly.com/kosher-meal-united-airlines/

(disclaimer - link to blog)

I'm not going to post more here to avoid cross-posting, but will post pictures in the Let's Eat thread.

In short, Regal/Bornstein caters out of LAX, which means a frozen meal, but on my LAX-JFK flight I found the kosher meal still better than the two regular choices.
Fresko KSML meals ex-EWR (when they're fresh and not frozen) will be lightyears better than Regal's KSML frozen meals. Regal's fresh meals, which I think are only served on LY, are actually quite good as well.
MatthewLAX and Flying Machine like this.
Old Aug 17, 22, 11:25 am

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g/special.html
I think I could see the lists of available and unavailable special meals on the page above,
but now United has removed the lists (just saying "We are working hard....").
Old Aug 24, 22, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
Has anyone ordered the Asian Veg or Kosher meal DEN-HNL? Prepandemic I had good luck ordering these as much better alternatives to the standard meals.
Old Sep 15, 22, 12:07 pm

Question What is the "Asian vegetarian" meal? Flying U.S. to Germany

I am flying from Washington Dulles to Frankfurt and I would like a vegetarian meal. I can request an "Asian vegetarian" meal - does anyone know what this means? I am a vegetarian but I hate Chinese, Japanese, etc. food and I can't eat soy. I love Indian, but I feel like they would've called it "Indian" rather than "Asian."

Anyone know what the "Asian vegetarian" meal is or might be? You would think a flight from the U.S. to Europe would be a western meal, but apparently not. My other choice is to hope they are offering something vegetarian and pick that while on board. Anyone know what the standard vegetarian option might be?

I'm flying Premium Plus. Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 22, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by oreocookies View Post
I am a vegetarian but I hate Chinese, Japanese, etc. food and I can't eat soy.
Then you will not like it.

Originally Posted by oreocookies View Post
I love Indian, but I feel like they would've called it "Indian" rather than "Asian."
They used to have a separate "Indian vegetarian" as well, but maybe no longer?
Old Sep 15, 22, 12:22 pm

^ The only options seem to be "vegetarian Asian" and "vegan." I'm kind of wondering if they are the same thing, haha
Old Sep 15, 22, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
AVML is all over the continent generally (sometimes even on the same tray), and a healthy dose of soy (i.e. a slab of tofu) isn't uncommon.

The VGML is both vegan and also strict vegetarian.

Generally the "normal" meal choices include something meat-less, often cheese-heavy.
Old Sep 15, 22, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, Hertz PC
It's always been Indian in my and my family's experience on SFO-LHR-SFO, EWR-LHR-EWR, and any domestic flights. That's not conclusive, but none of us have ever seen anything else.
Old Sep 15, 22, 1:59 pm

In my experience, the Asian vegetarian meal is often Indian. But that's not 100%. And most times I can recall there has been soy/tofu somewhere in the meal.

Also, the only time as an adult I have puked on an airplane was immediately following the Asian vegetarian meal out of MUC a few years ago. The FA had even suggested I decline the special meal because they're not great out of MUC. I should have listened.
Old Sep 15, 22, 3:11 pm

So it's the airport and their chefs there that decide this? I guess I need the skinny on Dulles then. I really don't want a block of soy. I love a cheesy pasta, so maybe I roll the dice and hope that's available?
Old Sep 15, 22, 4:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
I can't speak specifically to UA, but on other international airlines, there's often a choice lacto-ovo vegetarian, which obviously includes cheese and eggs. From my wife's experience, the unspecified vegetarian meals are often Indian or Asian-focused, so if you're not a fan of those cuisines, I'd pack something just in case they don't have the meatless option in the mains (though they often do). Obviously, others on here are more in the know to UA specifics.

Search this Thread