Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Different pricing/fare buckets depending on billing country / point of sale

Different pricing/fare buckets depending on billing country / point of sale

Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Just buy the flight on Expedia.... Dont see a problem.

Or use your AC points - oh wait, there you will actually get SCAMMED, since they charge fake taxes on transborder award bookings.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:10 am

Try being in the UK and booking foreign stuff. Every country scams us.
ilcannone likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1k
there are other booking sites through which you can book where you will pay the US-Dollar price (and can use your Canadian credit card). On the airline's site, it will change your location, not based on your credit card bank, but based on the billing address of your credit card. There isn't much you can do about that...
I am surprised that the price would be so dramatically different for the same flight - usually I see major price differences only based on the point of origin, not the currency or billing address. It's possible (but unlikely) that there is a promotion going on that excludes Canadian residents.
It may be worth calling united actually to point this out -- call the US number, have them quote the US price, then ask to pay with your card (don't even say that it's Canadian), and see if they also switch the price to CAD, or if they stay at the USD price that they quoted you - I suspect they won't switch the price. I'd think for LAX-YVR it should be reasonable to request the US-Dollar price since it originates in the US.

I agree with the other posters -- it's not "SCAMMING", it's either a pricing glitch that's unintentional, or some kind of promotional fare that isn't available to Canadian residents. Using this kind of hyperbole is not helpful, when the point is just to figure out what's going on and find a way around the problem.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Just as a data point, I have both Canadian and American credit cards and I find that ex-YUL, a lot of my flights to Asia are cheaper when paying in CAD. Most recently I booked a fare to Singapore a few months ago for $1100 CAD when the price on the US website was $1050 USD
jsloan and X31 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MTan
Just as a data point, I have both Canadian and American credit cards and I find that ex-YUL, a lot of my flights to Asia are cheaper when paying in CAD. Most recently I booked a fare to Singapore a few months ago for $1100 CAD when the price on the US website was $1050 USD
Same for flights from Canada to Hawaii. Pricing differentials really are market specific. I like the fact that United offers pricing options - to those who have credit cards in multiple currencies, unlike Delta where it's all in USD.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
It’s a scam whatever you wanna call it. I never noticed it on Air Canada. Even if it is, the diff was so small I didn’t notice. To charge me 179 for 99 is ridiculous.

Thanks for Expedia suggestion. Will try that.
Follow up. If I go and cancel the ticket (within 24hrs). Do the cheap seat rates get allocated back so I can rebook on Expedia right after or it’s not worth the risk? Current rate for same seat is $180 USD.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 2, 2019 at 10:17 am Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s); merging consecitive post my same member
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. It is not a scam. It simply shows a complete lack of understanding of how air tickets are priced. Different markets = different prices. You can circumvent the pricing system by making it appear that you are buying in the US. If it were a huge issue for UA, UA could work to end that too, but doesn't bother because few people do it.

2. As to where your seats go if cancelled, they go back into inventory as a seat and are reassigned to a fare bucket by UA's RM/IM software based on the its calculations at that moment. There is no way you or anyone can predict what will happen to your seats if cancelled. This includes whether the seats are sold at all, e.g., the flight is overbooked and UA now wishes to reduce the oversale risk.

It is not a scam and a bit of research will show that pretty much every major international carrier sells at different prices in different markets.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:42 am

It’s a scam if price diff is 50% or so. I’ve seen it before with 10-15% diff, NOT this high. I call it a scam, you guys are all ok with it. Fine. Call it normal.

I might just cancel and book American instead. This really pissed me off. I’ve done exactly the same flight with them and booked with my CC they didn’t change the price on me, same as AC.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by alexbc
It’s a scam whatever you wanna call it. I never noticed it on Air Canada. Even if it is, the diff was so small I didn’t notice. To charge me 179 for 99 is ridiculous.

No, not defending UA or anyone. It is a fact of many, many web sites POS decides the pricing (which has it's own logic). I maintain 2 Hertz accounts and usually I can rent a car in the USA for less using my NZ account. This is not a new arrangement (or your perceived scam) but around for years.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 2, 2019 at 10:18 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:49 am

American does this too. Controlling both fares and inventory by point of sale is standard practice for all airlines.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
It’s a scam if price diff is 50% or so. I’ve seen it before with 10-15% diff, NOT this high. I call it a scam, you guys are all ok with it. Fine. Call it normal.

I might just cancel and book American instead. This really pissed me off. I’ve done exactly the same flight with them and booked with my CC they didn’t change the price on me, same as AC.
United should charge Canadians more. Air Canada charges Americans more. Reciprocity.
bmacke likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by whlinder
American does this too. Controlling both fares and inventory by point of sale is standard practice for all airlines.
Nope it doesn’t. I’ve booked it many times in the past. Even if they did, price diff was so little I didn’t notice.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I've noticed this twice and it's outragous... when booking a flight LAX-YVR, the quoted price one way was $99 USD including taxes, I picked and went to pay, AS SOON as your credit card is Canadian, it changed the entire price to CAD, at a MUCH higher exchange rate and taxes, resulting in $99 USD = $179 CAD! How is that possible? In the taxes, they doubled the US transportation fee, other ones remained the same, BUT the actual ticket price shoot up in CAD.

How the heck does this work and how do I get around it? Has anyone else noticed it? Do you have to have a USD Credit card with US billing to avoid this scam?!

Thanks!
different point of sale offers different fare availability and pricing. Without knowing specific dates and flights, I’d guess what you saw were two different fare classes, with it initially showing say, an L in US point of sale, but say, a T in the Canadian.

Originally Posted by sannmann
Airlines offer different fares based upon the point of sale. So, what United is doing is not out of the norm for the industry. Get a U.S. credit card and billing address if you want U.S. prices.
UA, to be fair, does do it differently than most carriers. they use card billing address. Most use the POS of the departure city. Difference is you can truly see the difference the way UA does it (and note, it can work both ways, where the price may be lower, depending on availability in the different points of sale).

Originally Posted by kilo
On Flyertalk it’s best to present this as a problem looking for an explanation from experienced users, rather than going down the ‘SCAMMING’ route. (Unless you have clear evidence of a scam).
Good advice. I’m way more likely to give folks the benefit of the doubt when posed as a question, vs. wheb it sounds like they are screaming.

Originally Posted by rrgg
Air Canada "scams" too. They charge $25 US to pay for a bag on the US site and $25 CDN to pay on the Canadian site.
most carriers, including UA, do the same. It’s no different. Bags are listed at par for US-originating transborder fares (in USD) and Canadian ones (in CAD). For both carriers.

And you’re a bit behind...checked bags were raised several for months ago for both. $30 USD/CAD for the 1st bag, $50 for the second.

see above - that’s why you never noticed it on AC. Doesn’t change anything. It’s not an exchange issue, but an availability one, based on a different point of sale.

And I don’t see anyone defending the practice UA uses, just explaining it. There’s a huge difference.

Follow up. If I go and cancel the ticket (within 24hrs). Do the cheap seat rates get allocated back so I can rebook on Expedia right after or it’s not worth the risk? Current rate for same seat is $180 USD.
no one here can tell you that. You can take your chances. But you can canceling your booking certainly doesn’t guarantee that seat will being back previous availability. Particularly across different points of sale. Since fares are dynamic, things change all the time - for whatever reason, UA could have zerod out the cheaper buckets for now, or a purchase threshold for the cheaper fare could have passed. So it might come back at the lower price, or it might not.

book American if you want. Again, it’s not going to change anything. I agree UA is shooting itself in the foot making this difference transparent (and helping in the case where it’s cheaper on the other point of sale, which also happens). But American prices differently based on different point of sale - that it doesn’t show it to you directly on their website isn’t going to change things.

Originally Posted by whlinder
this.

Example, I’ve had several instances of needing to book India-Thailand (or beyond) fares on TG. The Indian point of sale (via TGs website, or Indian OTAs) is always much cheaper than booking through a US point of sale (Orbitz, Expedia, United, etc.). Often half as much through India or less. so guess how I book?

Nope it doesn’t. I’ve booked it many times in the past. Even if they did, price diff was so little I didn’t notice.
again, they do it, you just don’t notice because of the way they implement it. If it makes you feel better about booking it that way, all good and just do that. But it’s not, in the end, really any different.

jsloan and daisyatl like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 2, 2019 at 10:22 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:50 am

I understand the point of sale. If I booked on India’s site vs. US site but the fact that United does it based i your CC and no one else does is the problem. Plus the diff in fare is ridiculous.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand the point of sale. If I booked on India’s site vs. US site but the fact that United does it based i your CC and no one else does is the problem. Plus the diff in fare is ridiculous.
Then be an informed consumer and take your money elsewhere.
chavala and JMBResona like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.