Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Different pricing/fare buckets depending on billing country / point of sale

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Different pricing/fare buckets depending on billing country / point of sale

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Ah, that's true. It's pretty rare though - the fare table itself is filed based on the ticket's origin city and then individual fares could be sales restricted.
buckets can be restricted by point of sale.

Buying ICN-SAN-ICN could have K availability using a Korean POS, but the US POS may zero out inventory up to, say, W so only offer a W fare. Therefore, there may be a valid K fare, but it won’t allow you to buy in the US.

As ive explained multiple times in this thread - it seems to get brought up about once a month or so - there is a difference between the way UA and other carriers determine point of sale. Buying direct from a carrier, UA is alone, as far as I’m aware, in forcing you to buy from the POS that matches your billing card address. Most use he origin for the point of sale, and the only way to get a different POS than that of the origin is to use a TA based in another country.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: None anymore
Right as others have said you will pay the same amount (as in, what gets charged to your card) whether it is in KRW or USD, but what matters is your departing city. I live in Korea and frequently get great fares but in order to book I have to use my Korean address otherwise it won't give me that price.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:51 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback & explanations about the KRW fare ICN-SAN-ICN. That routing is still a possibility, but I've found some more options to explore, too.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:19 pm

I'm trying to book this itinerary through United, which is listed on GF as $309 but winds up repricing to $398.91 when I attempt to pay (with a US card). Is there any way around this?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2018 at 7:59 pm Reason: moved to master thread
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rmannion
I'm trying to book this itinerary through United, which is listed on GF as $309 but winds up repricing to $398.91 when I attempt to pay (with a US card). Is there any way around this?
See if you can get the price from an OTA.

My but that's cheap for a RT to Europe.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:29 pm

When you initially hit the United site (but before you pay) does it still show theprice as $309? If so what country is listed on the United site (shown at top of page like Canada - English). If it's not the US site you're at (e.g. Canada edition), simply go to that country's version of Expedia to book the flight (I.e. Expedia.ca) to get around United's point of sale restriction!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
When you initially hit the United site (but before you pay) does it still show theprice as $309? If so what country is listed on the United site (shown at top of page like Canada - English). If it's not the US site you're at (e.g. Canada edition), simply go to that country's version of Expedia to book the flight (I.e. Expedia.ca) to get around United's point of sale restriction!
This is precisely the issue. If you hit the link, you end up on the Belgium site. An OTA based in Belgium should work, or a Belgian payment method. UA determines point of sale based on the billing address of the credit card.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:16 pm

Thanks! Booking through Belgian Expedia worked perfectly.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I'm trying to book this itinerary through United, which is listed on GF as $309 ....
WOW, this post should also be in the MILEAGE RUN DEALS forum. Nice score!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
United SCAMMING Canadians! Charges WAY MORE with Canadian CC

I've noticed this twice and it's outragous... when booking a flight LAX-YVR, the quoted price one way was $99 USD including taxes, I picked and went to pay, AS SOON as your credit card is Canadian, it changed the entire price to CAD, at a MUCH higher exchange rate and taxes, resulting in $99 USD = $179 CAD! How is that possible? In the taxes, they doubled the US transportation fee, other ones remained the same, BUT the actual ticket price shoot up in CAD.

How the heck does this work and how do I get around it? Has anyone else noticed it? Do you have to have a USD Credit card with US billing to avoid this scam?!

Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 2, 2019 at 10:13 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Airlines offer different fares based upon the point of sale. So, what United is doing is not out of the norm for the industry. Get a U.S. credit card and billing address if you want U.S. prices.
JMBResona likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:13 am

On Flyertalk it’s best to present this as a problem looking for an explanation from experienced users, rather than going down the ‘SCAMMING’ route. (Unless you have clear evidence of a scam).
jsloan and lhrsfo like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Try booking through a third-party website, like Expedia.

It's disappointing that your first instinct was "United SCAMMING Canadians."
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
This happens all the time and is standard practice in the business. I can usually chose the more advantageous of US or Japan Point of Sale (POS), so that works nicely for me sometimes, however I also quite often fly originating in Korea or China. Both of these POSs are frequently $100 or so cheaper than US POS, but I don't have a credit card based in either country so have to pay the Japan or USA rate if I want to book on United.com (usually this is because I'm using e-Certs, or I'd book on a 3rd party site that is neutral to billing address).
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:28 am

Air Canada "scams" too. They charge $25 US to pay for a bag on the US site and $25 CDN to pay on the Canadian site.
jsloan, onthesam, chavala and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.