Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best practices / experiences for making claims based on Israel Aviation Services Law

Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Israeli Aviation Services Law - English version

United - Rights established under Israeli Aviation Services Law (Compensation and Assistance for Flight Cancellation and Change of Conditions), 5772-2012 (“Aviation Services Law”) (2012)

United - Rights established under Israeli Aviation Services Law (Compensation and Assistance for Flight Cancellation and Change of Conditions), 5772-2012 (“Aviation Services Law”) (09/2016 version)

Israeli Aviation Services Law

Denied boarding or cancellation or delay

Israeli Aviation Services Law (IASL) requires airlines to provide notice if you are denied boarding or if your flight is canceled or delayed for at least two hours. Ask the check-in counter or boarding gate for the text stating your rights, particularly with regard to compensation and assistance. Please refer to United’s Contract of Carriage for the general terms and conditions applying to your transportation.
Print Wikipost

Best practices / experiences for making claims based on Israel Aviation Services Law

Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mdobbins
Please try to keep us informed of the outcome!
You bet! I will post all steps here so that others can follow if needed.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
I really hope you get satisfaction. United shouldn't be allowed to pull this b.s. with passengers and I'm so glad you have the time and the patience to pursue this. Go get 'em!.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:04 pm

I got a 6 hrs delay from EWR TLV...

UA at the boarding announced that they will give us some compensation when we logged on toconsumer page. As a 1K...they offered me $250 or 10000 miles.
I wrote them, telling them to start with, I was booked on the nonstop IAH MUC then MUC TLV on LH, they took that flight off the schedule that week. I accepted the protection to go IAH EWR TLC.
They wrote me back to give me a $400 e-cert. Little did I know, I logged back into the customer service page, I still could claim the original $250.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I'm just waiting for the speculation to begin of when the Israeli government will impound a United 777 for non-payment under the passenger rights law...
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Do they have any authority or power regarding another country's laws?
No, they don't. The US DOT is, believe it or not, a US agency and Israel isn't in the US.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Forget Israeli law, doesn't UA have a company policy that would address this? Or is it all about them calling this "force majeure" (is that the same as act of god?)? I think Air Canada's policy in this situation is if you're delayed more than 8 hours you max out at $800, but I'm also not sure why they wouldn't let you on another carrier's flight.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
No, they don't. The US DOT is, believe it or not, a US agency and Israel isn't in the US.
They have regulatory authority both over United as a US based airline and doubly over this flight as it was scheduled to land in the United States.

They might not be willing to enforce specific EU or Israeli passenger compensation rights, but you can still complain about them via the DOT, even if it's just for being jerks that won't provide a substantive response to a major customer service failing.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dickerso
They have regulatory authority both over United as a US based airline and doubly over this flight as it was scheduled to land in the United States.

They might not be willing to enforce specific EU or Israeli passenger compensation rights, but you can still complain about them via the DOT, even if it's just for being jerks that won't provide a substantive response to a major customer service failing.
I repeat. DOT has zero authority to enforce Israeli law. DOT only has authority to enforce specific US laws where Congress has provided that authority to DOT.

If you believe that UA has violated US law, than by all means complain to DOT about that violation.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dickerso
Agree completely. DOT always has jurisdiction to review, compile, and pass along to the carrier any consumer complaint about air travel. Even if DOT determines that the complaint falls outside its enforcement jurisdiction, it will note the complaint for inclusion in its published statistics on consumer complaints.

And the fact that DOT passes the complaints on to the carrier is significant. UA has special cs personnel who respond to DOT complaints, you are much likely to get an intelligent, meaningful response following a DOT complaint than through the normal channels, particularly if not 1K or GS.

Last edited by Kacee; Jul 23, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TT-Jones
The BBB has no real authority
That's being generous. The BBB is completely useless.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NYTA
I'm just waiting for the speculation to begin of when the Israeli government will impound a United 777 for non-payment under the passenger rights law...
I believe all the OP has to do is win their award in court, go to the airport to collect their cash award, and if the airport office (UA) doesn't pay, he can personally seize and impound the next UA aircraft that shows up - this assumes the Israel civil process model maps closely to the US model.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I believe all the OP has to do is win their award in court, go to the airport to collect their cash award, and if the airport office (UA) doesn't pay, he can personally seize and impound the next UA aircraft that shows up - this assumes the Israel civil process model maps closely to the US model.
If OP does impound United's plane , wouldn't he be liable for subsequent parking fees at TLV? These could add up quickly.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
If OP does impound United's plane , wouldn't he be liable for subsequent parking fees at TLV? These could add up quickly.
Not if he flips the aircraft to a buyer for a quick profit...I'm sure offering it out for 5MM would find a willing taker in a few hours.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I have had similar experiences with refund.me - filed two claims with them - both over a year ago against Alitalia and against El Al for EC 261 claims resulting from cancelled flights ex-EU. Neither one resulted in anything other than a quarterly update email from them. That said, if the airlines don't pay then they have to sue them and this takes time.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Forget Israeli law, doesn't UA have a company policy that would address this? Or is it all about them calling this "force majeure" (is that the same as act of god?)? I think Air Canada's policy in this situation is if you're delayed more than 8 hours you max out at $800, but I'm also not sure why they wouldn't let you on another carrier's flight.
Yes, UA has a policy. I posted a link to it in my first post. It can be found here

A "force majeure" generally covers more than an act of God. Used to cover things out of the airlines control. It covers wars, labor disputes... none which were applicable as far as I know.

The Israeli law does not define what circumstances would not be covered by the law. Since it is based off of the EU law, it is widely understood that maintenance issues are not excluded.

DOT complaint has been submitted. On the complaint form you must consent to the DOT sharing information with other parties. One of the parties listed is "International organizations outside the U.S. that might also have jurisdiction over aviation issues or that facilitate the investigation of airline consumer complaints"

Credit Card dispute filed.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 27, 2015 at 5:04 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.