United at NY Penn Station

Old Jul 20, 15, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Virgin Gold, Marriott Gold
United at NY Penn Station

Just saw this on Twitter - has anyone been here and knows what it is?

https://twitter.com/united/status/623214275411222528

There's another tweet (https://twitter.com/united/status/623219088135974912) that sorta suggests you can check luggage there? Anyone know about this? If it's true, that'd be a pretty good deal for UA folk in NYC.
Old Jul 20, 15, 5:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
UA @ Penn Station is one of the few remaining CTO (City Ticket Offices)

The bag comment is probably related to the Amtrak link. (ZYP is the Penn Station code but not sure that is still available for UA itins)

older thread = http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-station.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 20, 15 at 5:10 pm
Old Jul 20, 15, 5:14 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by kon104 View Post
Just saw this on Twitter - has anyone been here and knows what it is?

https://twitter.com/united/status/623214275411222528

There's another tweet (https://twitter.com/united/status/623219088135974912) that sorta suggests you can check luggage there? Anyone know about this? If it's true, that'd be a pretty good deal for UA folk in NYC.
I would not assume that the UA twitter response about checking in your bags four hours before departure had any clue that you were talking about at NYP, and not at an airport.
Old Jul 20, 15, 5:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
And don't forget that United Club members get admitted to the Club Acela at Penn Station.
Old Jul 20, 15, 5:39 pm

They will only check-in or touch domestic tickets for me. They refuse to touch anything international (even in IRROPS situations).

No luggage check-in either.
Old Jul 20, 15, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
It's some kind of promotional pop-up exhibit promoting UAL service. Up from 9am-5:30pm with UA staff discussing various products and services.
Old Jul 20, 15, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
It's some kind of promotional pop-up exhibit promoting UAL service. Up from 9am-5:30pm with UA staff discussing various products and services.
Penn Station is one of the few transportation terminals that makes any UA station look good. And Amtrak's on-time performance compares favorably with UA. I can see why they're trolling for new customers there.
Old Jul 20, 15, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
And don't forget that United Club members get admitted to the Club Acela at Penn Station.
And, if you happen to travel in INTL GF or BF and stumble upon NYP (or any station with Club Acela for that matter),

Who is Eligible for Access?
  • Amtrak Guest Rewards members with a valid Select Plus or Select Executive member card.
  • Amtrak passengers with a same-day ticket (departing) or ticket receipt (arriving) in First Class or sleeping car accommodations.
  • Complimentary ClubAcela Single-Day Pass holders. Same-day travel ticket not needed.
  • Private car owners/lessee and party between time of arrival and departure specified in the reservation. Provide reservation number to Club representative upon entry.
  • United Club Members with a valid United Club Card are entitled to access ClubAcela locations and may bring in two guests or their spouses and children under the age of 21. United Global First or United BusinessFirst passengers with a flight coupon or boarding pass with a same-day, international segment in United Global First or United BusinessFirst are also entitled to ClubAcela access.
http://www.amtrak.com/station-lounges

Note sure about p.s. BF access (probably not). Would be great, though.
Old Jul 20, 15, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Saw it this morning. Didn't seem like there were any visitors inside though.
Old Jul 21, 15, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Virgin Gold, Marriott Gold
Ah bummer - ok nevermind. Thought they were ahead of the curve here, but that may have been asking a lot.
Old Jul 21, 15, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by kon104 View Post
Ah bummer - ok nevermind. Thought they were ahead of the curve here, but that may have been asking a lot.
I am sure that if you stood near the UA ticket window at Penn Station for more than a few minutes, someone would offer to take your luggage off your hands. Whether you would ever see it again is another question.
phkc070408 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 15, 10:28 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
The UA ticketing office at ZFP closed years ago. NJ Transit now occupies those ticketing windows as of last week with the old United signage removed a week prior.

I work a block away & have spotted it over weeks, it's purely marketing. No luggage, no ticketing.

I tested the 2 ladies there a few weeks ago with questions like:
  • What's is K class worse than N class?
  • Where's Taipei: North Asia or South Asia?
  • Is the 777-200LR 3-4-3 seating?
No answers to any. They're just there to chirp dumb marketing, mostly with the message of "flier friendly" & "check our site for the lowest fares". I feel so sorry for these ladies.
Old Aug 26, 15, 10:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Richard Chen View Post
The UA ticketing office at ZFP closed years ago. NJ Transit now occupies those ticketing windows as of last week with the old United signage removed a week prior.
ZYP is the airport code for NY Penn. NJ Transit moved out of the Amtrak ticket offices on 8th Avenue long ago and consolidated to the 7th Ave concourse.

AFAIK UA has no plans to close the New York Penn CTO, although it may have been consolidated in the new 'pop-up' marketing space, and it most certainly did not close "years ago."
Old Feb 15, 16, 10:49 am

United penn station

Can anyone tell me what the UA retail outlet in Penn Station is for - I walked by it today and someone handed me a Lily coffee drink???

is it pure promotions?
Old Feb 15, 16, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
I thought a Lily was a flower, or do you mean an Illy? That's the new coffee coming to UA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: