Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How early can I check bags at HNL (for mainland)

How early can I check bags at HNL (for mainland)

Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
We routinely accept bags early in LIH for flights that depart at night.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Any recent experiences with extra-early check in of bags @HNL? We're going to be on the 10 pm red-eye to SFO and were hoping to check in around 11 am - as we'd have to leave our rental accommodation @10 am on Windward Oahu.

I see there's luggage storage as a fallback, but it's going to be $15-$20 per bag.
I haven't done it myself but the only kickback I've ever gotten from early check-in is that they won't hold your bags overnight. For all they know, you're dumping the bags and going to enjoy the United Club for the rest of the day ...
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I haven't done it myself but the only kickback I've ever gotten from early check-in is that they won't hold your bags overnight. For all they know, you're dumping the bags and going to enjoy the United Club for the rest of the day ...
Thanks for the input! I will report back in about one month's time on my experience.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the input! I will report back in about one month's time on my experience.
Not at all. Thanks for the idea ... I may do that when I come back from HNL next month. I prefer the flight to DEN over ones going to LAX or SFO as you have a chance to get more sleep but I hate the departure time. Checking my bags in early would give me peace of mind to go to dinner and get to the airport in time to breeze through security (Pre-check plus Premier/F status).
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I'm very happy to report that early check-in (about 12 hours early) worked great for my HNL-SFO-YVR flights this week. Dropped two bags, and caught The Bus into town. Day passes for the bus can be purchased from the driver and were $5. The fare went up on Jan. 1, but it's still a great way to get to Chinatown/Ala Moana/Waikiki for the day before returning to HNL for an overnight flight.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...caught The Bus into town. Day passes for the bus can be purchased from the driver and were $5. The fare went up on Jan. 1, but it's still a great way to get to Chinatown/Ala Moana/Waikiki for the day before returning to HNL for an overnight flight.
The fare structure changed October 1st and it really only went up for those who make a single trip in a day that includes a transfer (or connection in the airline world). TheBus did away with transfer slips and started selling the $5 one-day passes. The single trip is now $2.50 if you can where you're going on a single bus or $5 if you have to make a transfer(s). If you make two (incl. round-trip) or more trips a day, you come out even or ahead buying the pass, respectively.

Edit: I do see now that fares went 1/1/18 up by 25 cents (single ride) and fifty cents (1-day pass). 1 day pass is still a bargain.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 1, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm very happy to report that early check-in (about 12 hours early) worked great for my HNL-SFO-YVR flights this week. Dropped two bags, and caught The Bus into town. Day passes for the bus can be purchased from the driver and were $5. The fare went up on Jan. 1, but it's still a great way to get to Chinatown/Ala Moana/Waikiki for the day before returning to HNL for an overnight flight.
Just a comment to say that I like riding The Bus to the airport. Lots to look at!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.