Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Smisek interview in "Buying Business Travel" article

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smisek interview in "Buying Business Travel" article

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by BearX220
What is he going to do next time the economy goes south?
Easiest question in the world!!

Answer: File for bankruptcy protection.

Dave
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by bseller
File for bankruptcy protection.
Oh, God, you're probably right. And misuse BK to dodge obligations while ramping up the complaining about how government regulation and taxes are killing them.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Yes, but for instance cruise line and hotel CEOs don't make such unintelligent statements denoting a complete inability to understand the competitive landscape, drive their companies to the bottom of customer service rankings or make policies that lead to extremely poor operational performance, not to mention of course the fact he has a profound inability to yield higher profits than competitors.

In my book, given Smisek's consistent tendency to underachieve in everything he does, he is the most overpaid CEO in the history of aviation. Even Frank Lorenzo pales in comparison.
I think there are some fundamental structural differences between cruise lines, hotels, and airlines. Ignoring labor, regulations, franchise and ownership structures and trying to make a blanket comparison is he pinnacle of oversimplification.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fly18725
I think there are some fundamental structural differences between cruise lines, hotels, and airlines. Ignoring labor, regulations, franchise and ownership structures and trying to make a blanket comparison is he pinnacle of oversimplification.
So you really think that Smisek understands the competitive landscape, and that his actions did nothing to drive United to the bottom of customer service rankings or make policies that lead to extremely poor operational performance? That all of United's current problems are due to factors beyond his control?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by halls120
So you really think that Smisek understands the competitive landscape, and that his actions did nothing to drive United to the bottom of customer service rankings or make policies that lead to extremely poor operational performance? That all of United's current problems are due to factors beyond his control?
I hope that's a rhetorical question, because it is unrelated to what I posted.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by halls120
Oh, he understands it clearly - it's just that he doesn't care. He is achieving the metrics that matter to the board and Wall Street, while planes are full, capacity is trimmed, competition is swept away, and he can actively and illegally collude with other airlines to keep capacity low and fares high - the latter will hopefully soon blow up and splatter all over the industry if the DoJ does what it's suppose to.

The UA of today is not a product of incompetence, it's a result of deliberate planning to take advantage of lower costs and almost non-existent competition.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Oh, he understands it clearly - it's just that he doesn't care. He is achieving the metrics that matter to the board and Wall Street, while planes are full, capacity is trimmed, competition is swept away, and he can actively and illegally collude with other airlines to keep capacity low and fares high -
+1 This exactly.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Off-topic here but... You don't understand the funding of the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. It's not taxpayer funded.
That depends if you believe there is an implied federal guarantee that the fund will be bailed out if it becomes insolvent.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by spin88
United held its own with its First Class Product for a long time, was competitive with its IPTE product, the slashes to the soft product did start to exist before Jeff was taking over, but they ramped up after he came, and the competition got better, as UA got worse. The arc down got much sharper in 2011/2012 and has gone down from there.

IAD was a special case as "the capital of the free world" and that drove in more airlines that the market would suggest. But at e.g. SFO or ORD United held its own, and certainly did in Asian markets, no longer. The influx of foreign carriers at each (and more and more at IAD, and EWR) is due to United's weakness as much as anything else.

Anderson may, or may not be overpaid, but he is certainly badly underpaid compared to Jeff.

For all of Jeff's "savvy" work he got a 39% pay raise to $11.3M. http://fortune.com/2015/04/28/united-airlines-ceo-pay/

Anderson got a 42% raise to $17.6M. http://www.ajc.com/news/business/del...-millio/nk6mh/

United is being ripped off blind...
I would say UA had a better first class product than AA.

But at no point in the last 10 years has it had a better first class product than Cathay, ANA, Singapore, Air France, or any Gulf carrier.

It took 12 years to catch up with BA and even start to add flat beds to Business.

US carriers have lagged for a long time as first class has been upgrade class and served accordingly.

UA and AA peaked in quality around the mid to late 90s. And it's been a painful road down since.

What this cycle reminds me of is the 1994-2000 Greenwald / Goodwin era. Back then United made record profits after a terrible period of losses but they were not a cohesive, reliable operation - it was simply riding a broader aviation recovery.

Greenwald was labeled a hero by the Street but they made the employee ownership mistake, took on too much debt for the massive 777 order, and simply rode the broader wave - leaving them terribly exposed when their unions asked for more and their core HVF market - California - turned hard in 2001. 40% of their revenue was from California at one point.

I would put Goodwin's multimillion cash parachute while the carrier was on the brink of liquidation in the tone deaf department - and that was the board's fault, not his.

And the problems from 20 years ago continue to haunt the airline. Blame the unions, blame management. But it was the biggest debacle in US aviation history.

My fear is there is something systemic about United and its workforce that eats management alive whenever there is a whiff of profitability.

At least they and the industry have kept leverage well below what it was back then.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Jul 19, 2015 at 11:47 am
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Oh, he understands it clearly - it's just that he doesn't care. He is achieving the metrics that matter to the board and Wall Street, while planes are full, capacity is trimmed, competition is swept away, and he can actively and illegally collude with other airlines to keep capacity low and fares high - the latter will hopefully soon blow up and splatter all over the industry if the DoJ does what it's suppose to.

The UA of today is not a product of incompetence, it's a result of deliberate planning to take advantage of lower costs and almost non-existent competition.
Exactly. And this is why the board is happy and Smisek isn't in any danger. Had the economy worsened, it might be a different story now. By the time the environment changes, he'll have made his money and gladly make way for the next CEO.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
Exactly. And this is why the board is happy and Smisek isn't in any danger. Had the economy worsened, it might be a different story now. By the time the environment changes, he'll have made his money and gladly make way for the next CEO.
There is precedent for a management team being forced out during 'good' times.

Dick Ferris in 1987 lost the support of the Street and the unions when he created Allegis and tried to turn UA into a technology company.

And Steven Wolf in 1994 when the employees decided to buy out the airline.

But so far this team has stuck to aviation knitting.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
There is precedent for a management team being forced out during 'good' times.

Dick Ferris in 1987 lost the support of the Street and the unions when he created Allegis and tried to turn UA into a technology company.

And Steven Wolf in 1994 when the employees decided to buy out the airline.

But so far this team has stuck to aviation knitting.
I think the only way management is going out will depend on the price collusion scandal. If the airline lobby forces the govt to throw up some dust, stomp and clap, then go away, nothing will change...but if the investigation has its own legs and results in quantifiable issues that result in heavy sanctions and perhaps even criminal investigations, then Smisek and team could be out for no other reason than the board covering its own behind.

Plus we still have the Chairman's Flight scandal to work through with possible criminal charges down the road.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

exactly!!!! people on this board don't seem to understand that the UA of today is not an accident. they choose not to invest in on time performance or good service because they don't feel they get a financial return on it. fares are high and planes are full, so why bother to spend money. smisek may be a genius. everyone here complains yet keeps flying them and giving smij money.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
everyone here complains yet keeps flying them and giving smij money.
So untrue. For those of us who aren't in the fortress hubs, it has been very easy to stop flying UA. My company pulled its contracts out of UA nearly two years ago and I know many others that have done the same. Every now and then we may have to fly UA due to a pure timing issue, but 99% of our business is going to AA, B6, and DL.

Bottom line, UA is still profitable because there is little competition after so many mergers and capacity has been drastically cut, but make no mistake, UA still isn't and I'm certain will not be nearly as profitable as its competitors.

Originally Posted by wanderingkev
It's quite a compelling POV
Why, thank you.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 19, 2015 at 7:12 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
I will regret the loss of first class but it does seem that none of the US carriers will keep that as a long term model. I guess US based companies just throw the executives on private airlines instead of springing for F like Europeans? Or maybe all the US airlines are nuts and there really is a domestic market for an airline with a true first class international offering.

In any case what I wonder is if the continued improvements in J class hard product will open space in the middle for a 'premium economy' that effectively overtakes J? I know the bean counters at every company I have worked at would probably jump at putting us into $2-3k barcalounger over a $6-9k J class seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.