Wiki Posts
Search

Motivational slogans observed at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Motivational slogans observed at EWR

I had a seat in 2F on a 739 departing EWR today, which gave me a great view of the light board that flashes messages to the rampers, and pilots.

Here's a sampling of the slogans that were flashed before our flight departed the gate (a bit late, but we arrived SFO early).

"We must work together to keep our flights on time."

"Be Predictable, Be the Solution, Be Gracious, and Be the Brand!"

and my personal favorite:

"VIP Priority Bags first, first bags at belt within 15 min, all bags within 20 min."

Sounds like UA is trying to beat Delta at the 20 minute bag delivery promise at EWR!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Sounds more like someone was trying to be funny.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
What a horrible thing to do. In a hazardous workplace where there's risk for accidents, the company should be encouraging safe work practices, not distracting employees with "rah rah" messages when they're operating motorized equipment.

There's a time and a place for everything, and the tarmac ain't the place for this.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by channa
What a horrible thing to do.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
all apart of the flyer friendly program.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:55 am

What a horrible thing to do. In a hazardous workplace where there's risk for accidents, the company should be encouraging safe work practices, not distracting employees with "rah rah" messages when they're operating motorized equipment.

There's a time and a place for everything, and the tarmac ain't the place for this.
Don't worry, they obviously aren't paying attention to the messages.

I'm pretty sure I can count on one finger the amount of times I have received my bag in under a half hour at EWR. As far as keeping flights on time...good grief.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:55 am

What if those same screens are also used for legitimate safety messages? I'm just guessing, but that might be the system used to quickly notify ramp workers of things like ground stops due to lightning. Perhaps someone with airport operations experience might be able to provide details.

Regardless, if an innocuous message on a screen were truly detrimental to pilots or ramp workers, I'm certain their respective unions would say something.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 3:34 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM

Where are you getting this "horrible" sentiment from?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
What if those same screens are also used for legitimate safety messages? I'm just guessing, but that might be the system used to quickly notify ramp workers of things like ground stops due to lightning. Perhaps someone with airport operations experience might be able to provide details.
That would make sense. But if the system is to be used for emergency communication or critical safety alerts, it's probably not a good idea to use the signage all the time for motivational garbage. That just trains people to ignore it.

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Regardless, if an innocuous message on a screen were truly detrimental to pilots or ramp workers, I'm certain their respective unions would say something.
It's likely they have. I understand grievances are up across many work groups, mostly due to alleged contract violations. And something like this may not even rise up to the level of a grievance, as it's more of a safety concern to address with management.

Originally Posted by TA
Distracting staff who are operating equipment on an active tarmac with moving carts, trucks, and aircraft for non-critical messaging is horrible. This is not a locker room or breakroom where there would be much less safety risk from motivational signage.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
These boards do display multiple messages about weather, operational issues, etc.

btw, it's ramp, not tarmac
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TA
because there are some people who would condemn UA if they donated their entire year's profits to charity. Probably call it a "publicity stunt" or "tax evasion" or something.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
That would make sense. But if the system is to be used for emergency communication or critical safety alerts, it's probably not a good idea to use the signage all the time for motivational garbage. That just trains people to ignore it.
The systems are not used for critical safety alerts, though. The displays simply broadcast relevant flight information and customer service-oriented reminders in an easy-to-locate spot. In fact, when Continental installed the systems at EWR and IAH in the mid-2000s, the manufacturer even reported that CO saw a reduction in safety-related incidents on the ramp. I'll see if I can dig up more on that in the interwebs.

As a method of disseminating important operational safety information, though, it is more of a backup or supplement than a primary source.

EDIT: found it, from 2008... http://www.mediatile.com/sites/defau...inentalAir.pdf

Last edited by EWR764; Jul 16, 2015 at 8:20 am
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cargojon
because there are some people who would condemn UA if they donated their entire year's profits to charity. Probably call it a "publicity stunt" or "tax evasion" or something.
No, it's that if United DID donate their profits to charity, it is their past performance and history of not giving a damn about people in general that would make people look at such acts with serious skepticism. It is the reputation United created for itself that makes people assume the worst from them, and United usually delivers!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
This kind of signage and usage of motivational phrases is extremely common whenever you have a service industry with front line employees. It's a cheap and surprisingly effective way to get buy-in to your values.

Of course, management has to appear genuine for it to work.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by DWFI
This kind of signage and usage of motivational phrases is extremely common whenever you have a service industry with front line employees. It's a cheap and surprisingly effective way to get buy-in to your values.

Of course, management has to appear genuine for it to work.
Yes and the "Be Predictable, Be the Solution, Be Gracious, and Be the Brand!" phrase is in big letters on all of the agent login screens.

And the 'Flyer Friendly' advertising campaign is in large part done for employees as a way to get them to feel publicly accountable for delivering on it.

Though 'be predictable, be the solution, be gracious, be the brand' is a bit long and corporate ese. They could probably simplify that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.