Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"for those of you not connecting please remain seated so those who are can get off"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"for those of you not connecting please remain seated so those who are can get off"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by fastair
You can disagree, but search these forums and you will find that my statement is true. Plenty of 1st hand accounts by FTers who have a)had flights held for them or b) been on flights held for others. Lack of personal 1st hand experience doesn't make it untrue. I've never gotten a royal flush, but they exist (and odds of a flight being held for customers is far greater than a natural royal flush.)
Of course, as in most things, actions create reactions. Va plane held impacts not just the passengers and crew on that flight, but it may make an inbound waiting for the gate during a bank wait longer, causing as many problems on another flight as it solves on the original, it may delay a tight turn of the aircraft on the other end, and many more smaller, but significant issues. So it isn't the norm, but it's far from unheard of.
2 flights stand out:
1) AUS-SJC on Alaska: though AUS is not a hub, one security section was closed due to a broken gate that couldn't be raised, causing mile long lines at the other lanes - took me one hour to get through security. Alaska held the flight for 30 minutes, to ensure those who got stuck in security could make the flight.
2) DFW-AUS (last flight of the day) was not held, even though 50 of us were coming from a delayed SEA-DFW flight. We were rebooked for the next day and thus spent the night at DFW (no compensation from AA because the delay was due to weather)
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Like the previous poster, I play it by ear. If I'm in the aisle, I usually just go anyways. Even if I'm in the window, if there's a huge slow down and I have a window, I go too. If I'm not slowing down the line, whats the difference.

In the end, although the pressure can be on when a flight is delayed when you have a tight connection, how long does it really take to get off a plane and how often has it really come down to the last second?

I've lost count the number of times where we get to the gate and the person next to me is freaking out that they "only" have 60min to get to their gate.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are no absolutes about holding flights. It's rare, but it's not never. There are many considerations and the decisions are not made by GA's or flight crews, but rather at Operations.

As others note, more often than not, holding a flight is pointless as flights are deliberately overbooked and carriers count on misconnects to avoid oversale. No use holding a flight when the seat is gone.

Beyond that, it may be possible to hold when enroute WX is favorable or ATC can do a faster reroute and still arrive on time. Conversely, if the crew is going to time out, an ontime push may be critical to the flight going at all.

It's all about the best for the most and it's not about judging the other guy.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Austin787
2 flights stand out:

2) DFW-AUS (last flight of the day) was not held, even though 50 of us were coming from a delayed SEA-DFW flight. We were rebooked for the next day and thus spent the night at DFW (no compensation from AA because the delay was due to weather)
You don't say how long the hold would have been but, if it was within reason, where is the harm in them holding the last flight of the night, rather than leaving 50 booked pax behind? Delaying the flight would have done nothing to further delay that plane or other flights as it was terminating in AUS.

I realize a very lengthy delay could jeopardize crew duty time but that's a about the only reason not to hold the flight.
Geeezz!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eng3

I've lost count the number of times where we get to the gate and the person next to me is freaking out that they "only" have 60min to get to their gate.
Same here. If the person appears to be truly concerned, rather than just trying to get attention, I will usually politely ask where they're headed, and what gate they're going to, then tell them how long it should take to get to the gate. I might credential myself by saying "I fly every week" or something like that. I'd say it calms them down 90% of the time, and about 20% of the time I might get a thank you.

Act concerned for them, rather than annoyed, and they're usually appreciative.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by eng3
Depending on the airport and type of connection, 60 minutes may be insufficient. Maybe they're getting off a regional jet and have to wait 10 minutes to get their carry on bags. Maybe they have a looooong walk to their connecting gate (DFW, IAH, MSP, ATL are notorious for connecting gates placed far apart). Maybe their connection requires going through customs/immigration (international to US domestic). Maybe they have to change terminals and reclear security (ie JFK, T1 to T5 at ORD, T6/7/8 to TBIT in LAX, etc).

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
You don't say how long the hold would have been but, if it was within reason, where is the harm in them holding the last flight of the night, rather than leaving 50 booked pax behind? Delaying the flight would have done nothing to further delay that plane or other flights as it was terminating in AUS.

I realize a very lengthy delay could jeopardize crew duty time but that's a about the only reason not to hold the flight.
Geeezz!
Holding the flight 15-20 minutes would have been sufficient enough for us to make the flight. No other connecting flights were held either. I guess the most likely reason is holding connecting flights, even last ones of the day, would result in them showing as "departed late" which hurts AA's ontime performance. I'd be surprised if 20 minutes hold would cause the crew to time out. Since the SEA-DFW was delayed due to icy weather in SEA, it doesn't cost AA anything to rebook connecting passengers the next day (passengers would have to pay for their hotels) so AA might as well push those last flights of the day out as scheduled to boost their on time ratings.

Last edited by Austin787; Jul 15, 2015 at 12:02 pm
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
That is the official corporate progress plan...While Gordon authored the "Go Forward Plan", Jeff authored the "Tomorrow Will (Hopefully) Be a Better Day Plan".

Of course when your official policy is to look at high performing metrics as a 'waste of money' with 'diminishing returns' and 'normalizing to the industry' is the epitome of achievement, you get to sleep in the bed that you make.

If UA is still filling airplanes will dismal product and performance stats like these, then shame on the traveling consumer.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If UA is still filling airplanes will dismal product and performance stats like these, then shame on the traveling consumer.
We don't all have choices. Corporate contracts govern most of us rank and file business travelers. And often business-to-business relationships and trade of goods play a part in those corporate contracts.

If 90% of my travel has to be on UA, it doesn't make sense to not put the other 10% of personal travel there.

But for those who do have legitimate choices, I would agree that I don't see why people would choose UA over another airline right now, all other things being (relatively) equal.

There's no incentive for UA to get better unless there's a mass exit of corporate business.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
If 90% of my travel has to be on UA, it doesn't make sense to not put the other 10% of personal travel there.
For status, you are right, but beyond status, it may very well make sense to fly another carrier even if you don't have status on them or earn miles/status on the flights...if reliability is way higher, one would actually owe it to themselves.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Same here. If the person appears to be truly concerned, rather than just trying to get attention, I will usually politely ask where they're headed, and what gate they're going to, then tell them how long it should take to get to the gate. I might credential myself by saying "I fly every week" or something like that. I'd say it calms them down 90% of the time, and about 20% of the time I might get a thank you.

Act concerned for them, rather than annoyed, and they're usually appreciative.
A couple years back I was sitting next to a fellow from Europe on a SAN-ORD; I had a couple hours to make my connection to CLE but he had about 45 minutes to make a connection to a flight to Europe and had never been to ORD. He was getting nervous as we were running a little behind schedule, but a little concern for him like pulling out the terminal map from the magazine and circling the gates, describing the route via the neon tunnel and stuff, and making sure he got off the plane as soon as possible made him feel a lot better. I had over two hours to kill at ORD and let many people get off before I merged into an open spot in traffic, so why clog things. I visited the gate of his flight just to see, and they were about to close the door--so unless he got really lost, he must have made it.

On the opposite side of the coin, I was on a MHT-PHL on a US 737 once where a really annoying family was concerned about their connection and decided to stand up and start opening overheads WHILE STILL MOVING ON A TAXIWAY right after landing. Plane came to a dead stop while captain asked everyone to be seated (if you could hear him over passengers screaming "sit down!" as FAs ran from both ends of the plane), and when we finally did arrive the gate, the people in front of them showed NO HURRY specifically to make them wait. It was really funny...that family was so self-important as to flaunt the rules that it backfired pretty good. (They showed signs of such attitude all the way from the gate in MHT--lots of DYKWIA behavior and stuff like refusing to stow bags for a long time, reclining constantly at the gate and again right after push back from the gate...idiots.)

A little courtesy and common sense goes a long way. On the aisle and there's a break in traffic? Go! Go! Connecting or terminating, just go! The plane will turn around for the next flight sooner if everyone is off sooner. Traffic not moving in the aisle and you are waiting for checked bags because this is your destination? Might as well let some connecting people get by if possible. There's not a fixed answer; it takes some judgement.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I'm sure I'll catch some flack for saying so, but I'm almost always in a rush to get out, even when getting back to my home airport. Although I may not be connecting to another flight, it doesn't mean that I'm not trying to catch a bus home, make a meeting, etc. Late flights are late flights, and they're an inconvenience to everyone.

Having said this, I don't mind the announcement -- if I really have no reason to rush I wait until there is a break in the flow (which usually happens very quickly). No harm in me getting off of the plane if I'm not holding anyone up. If you're just getting off of the plane to waltz to your car and drive home, then it really is a 5-minute inconvenience.

Last edited by GBadger; Jul 15, 2015 at 5:57 pm Reason: Incorrect moderator edit resulted in mixup of posts
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:44 pm
Suspended

I'm sure I'll catch some flack for saying so, but I'm almost always in a rush to get out, even when getting back to my home airport. Although I may not be connecting to another flight, it doesn't mean that I'm not trying to catch a bus home, make a meeting, etc. Late flights are late flights, and they're an inconvenience to everyone.

Having said this, I don't mind the announcement -- if I really have no reason to rush I wait until there is a break in the flow (which usually happens very quickly). No harm in me getting off of the plane if I'm not holding anyone up. If you're just getting off of the plane to waltz to your car and drive home, then it really is a 5-minute inconvenience.
We don't all have choices. Corporate contracts govern most of us rank and file business travelers. And often business-to-business relationships and trade of goods play a part in those corporate contracts.

But for those who do have legitimate choices, I would agree that I don't see why people would choose UA over another airline right now, all other things being (relatively) equal.

There's no incentive for UA to get better unless there's a mass exit of corporate business.
totally don't agree you don't have a choice. travel departments are there to serve the employees and the company. if every employee tells the travel agency they don't want to or refuse to fly united, the travel policies will change. i work at a large company (>100k employees), and for years we had to use amex travel. enough complaints (and an employee showing him how when he had to be rerouted, it was inefficient to call amex and pay a $35 charge when everyone else on the plane just walked next door, rebooked a ticket and moved on) - and now all employees are allowed to just book what makes sense.

there are always options in life. you may not always like them, but you always have an option.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 15, 2015 at 2:04 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Kensterfly

Geeezz!
Airline are being judged more harshly on on-time statistics these days, so there is a disincentive to hold flghts.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:44 pm

Like most I do this on a case by case basis. One person, maybe five, OK I'll probably sit down. But half the plane? Sorry I'm getting out of my aisle seat. Please don't lecture me about "common" courtesy because we obviously don't agree what that means. I try to be nice to people but there is a limit. If you had a 2 hour connection and it's now tight, I would try to help you out by sitting down. But if you booked a 30-45 minute connection you shouldn't be surprised if you miss a flight. Sorry.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by zitsky
Like most I do this on a case by case basis. One person, maybe five, OK I'll probably sit down. But half the plane? Sorry I'm getting out of my aisle seat. Please don't lecture me about "common" courtesy because we obviously don't agree what that means. I try to be nice to people but there is a limit. If you had a 2 hour connection and it's now tight, I would try to help you out by sitting down. But if you booked a 30-45 minute connection you shouldn't be surprised if you miss a flight. Sorry.
I have had this announcement made when we were 8 minutes late! Seriously, telling everyone to stay seated that's not making a connection? I'm sorry, but at T+8 on the arrival time, if you've made a connection that close on United, you should have known you'd miss it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.