Search

PHX-LAX SkyWest CR2's only??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Angry PHX-LAX SkyWest CR2's only??

Seriously? No mainline for this route? WHYYYYY United Why??

I have to fly this route often. This is the worst plane in the sky.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA
maybe it's a summer thing - I can see the CR7s for the 7a flight in September
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greatmoosy
maybe it's a summer thing - I can see the CR7s for the 7a flight in September
Meh. Still Skywest and still a plane I have to gate check my 20" Kirkland rollerboard.

Funny when I lived back here in the '00's I used to dread the Ted 320's. Now I would give anything to have them back.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The competition WN,AA, and DL fly all mainline aircraft.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
At least they're still flying PHX-LAX and at least you aren't on a CRJ200 SFO-YYC as has been the case in recent years.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:52 pm

Every flight is full and always plenty of commuting crew on board. There used to be at least five daily flights, these have been sharply reduced. The late evening flight is gone. Soon they will down to one a day ( I hope not ). By the way the fares are up to
$ 400.00 for the r/t depending on the time of day.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Every flight is full and always plenty of commuting crew on board. There used to be at least five daily flights, these have been sharply reduced. The late evening flight is gone. Soon they will down to one a day ( I hope not ). By the way the fares are up to
$ 400.00 for the r/t depending on the time of day.
Well I booked this flight today for next Wednesday back Friday and was all in $291

Why would United pull back on this (obviously) busy route? They should be adding 738's and frequency not the other way around.

Worst comes to worst I will fly phx-SFO-sna. Those flights are oddly enough cheap.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
The competition WN,AA, and DL fly all mainline aircraft.
competition is the key word as to why UA handles this route the way they do. heck, PHX-SFO is basically the same story and in that case there is a UA hub on one end.

UA has no desire to compete, particularly when there is an OAL hub on one end of the route.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
fly WN or AA, they fly mainline, no problem!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
competition is the key word as to why UA handles this route the way they do. heck, PHX-SFO is basically the same story and in that case there is a UA hub on one end.

UA has no desire to compete, particularly when there is an OAL hub on one end of the route.
PHX-LAX is the second busiest domestic route out of PHX. WN and US/AA run
about 20 dailies, plus add the five DL offerings incl. mainline. UA is just not willing to be competitive on that route and with 4 dailies to SFO ( only one mainline ) they don't seem to be willing to put much effort into that market as well and have downsized already.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
No mainline for this route?
UA repeated several loops of (1) down gauging, (2) people realizing this and booking other carriers, to get to where we are today on this route. So that's the answer.

Don't continue to punish yourself by choosing UA for this route. Don't reward UA for using equipment that does not suit your needs.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Honestly just fly WN or AA on that route
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
UA should just bail on this route. When they bailed on JFK and reduced service in SEA these knuckleheads from Texas showed their true colors.

Largest cities in the USA:
LAX is #2
PHX is #6

UA come on!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
It is too bad to see how small United is in LAX now. I flew them for years out of LAX to places like PHX and others and UA was the airline for me to travel to LAX. It seems since the merger United has really reduced its historical presence on the West Coast. I guess they only have an interest in maintaing their strengths in IAH and EWR. United used to be the airline for me out West and now it just continues to shrink.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Miggles
UA repeated several loops of (1) down gauging, (2) people realizing this and booking other carriers, to get to where we are today on this route. So that's the answer.

Don't continue to punish yourself by choosing UA for this route. Don't reward UA for using equipment that does not suit your needs.
This is exactly what happened to my 6-10 trips to PHX a year. They were all UA, then it went RJ, and after showing up and finding the CRJ7 was now a CRJ2 on one flight, and not happy to start with, I started booking US on this route. Far better in Coach (and OT) than even getting an RJ upgrade (and being late...). Now I fly US and credit to my AS account.

And I'm not the only one, I know several regular commuters to PHX from SFO, all used to fly UA, now none do, and its the exact same RJ issue. Before the merger United was 55% of the size it is now, and it would run 5-6 mainline each day to PHX, now its three RJs and a single mainline. Pathetic, and really shows how many elite passengers Jeff has chased away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.