Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does LH ever upgrade UA Prem Plat Members?

Old Jul 8, 15, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *Gold

I have a biz class ticket on UA (operated by LH) Class C. SFO-FRA-BLR & back. Does LH ever upgrade UA Premier Plat fliers to First? I have done this route many times and LH seems to never want to even entertain the idea of upgrades. Anyone with different experience?
Old Jul 8, 15, 2:17 pm

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
IME the only way to upgrade on LH is through a GPU and you won't get a chance at F until close in (T-10 days or closer)> If there was ever an oversell, they would op-up their SEN and HONs from C -> F, but on a 380 with it's half a million C seats I can't imagine they have to do very many op-ups
Old Jul 8, 15, 2:21 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Rare but it happens. Got bumped up to LH C FRA-DEL last year (pretty meaningful bump on the A388). Didn't see how full Y was so hard to tell if op-up or random act of CS kindness -- boarding gate just spit a little receipt back out at me with the new seat assignment.
Old Jul 8, 15, 2:39 pm

very rarely and no rhyme or reason to it. happened to me once ever in 6 years and i had a flight that was delayed and was getting onto a flight just as it was about to leave so there was manual tweaking involved.
Old Jul 8, 15, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
LH is fairly firm in following rules. F cabin upgrades can occur in rare cases but they really guard the premium seats in F.
Old Jul 8, 15, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Did you book it yourself or through a TA? Our agency, and I'm sure we're not the only one out there, offers free Y-J and J-F upgrades on LH. Always book a premium cabin ticket through a well connected agent so you get access to better amenities and benefits vs just booking solo online....the price is almost always the same (except for some Asian carriers with web fares).

For this to work, you need to be ticketed on LH and fly LH operated flights - no codeshares. I would say an op-up is not going to happen because if the need arises, they will op-up their own FF customers before any *A partners.
Old Jul 8, 15, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
LH only does op-ups when oversold. If you got a Y-C upgrade, you can bet that Y was oversold. I got an op-up from the automated gate in FRA last year. Scanned my BP and the glass doors didn't open right away. After a couple seconds, a piece of paper came out of the reader and told me to sit in C

I'm not clear if LH actually prioritizes their SEN or FTL members over *G when doing op-ups.
Old Jul 8, 15, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FB, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I was upgraded last month on the BLR-FRA flight from C to F as a UA 1K (although I think LH only sees me as a *G, don't think they notice if someone is 1K, plat or gold). Was on full fare J ticket. At checkin they offered upgrade to first for 50.000 miles, which I declined (if I would have accepted, I don't think they could have taken my UA miles). At the gate I got the upgrade for free. Business was oversold I guess.
Old Jul 8, 15, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by UTex09 View Post
If there was ever an oversell, they would op-up their SEN and HONs from C -> F, but on a 380 with it's half a million C seats I can't imagine they have to do very many op-ups
Actually, LH gives op-ups based on fare class, not status. No status on a Y gets upgraded before Sen on a B. This is an extremely unpopular policy over on the LH forum.

For example:

Originally Posted by xandern View Post
I was upgraded last month on the BLR-FRA flight from C to F as a UA 1K (although I think LH only sees me as a *G, don't think they notice if someone is 1K, plat or gold). Was on full fare J ticket.
Old Jul 8, 15, 3:41 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Personal anecdote: I was "upgraded" from Economy to Premium Economy on a recent FRA-JFK flight. I was on an "S" ticket. I suppose the flight was oversold. Somehow I doubt that C->F happens very often.
Old Jul 8, 15, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
FRA-BLR has a decent chance with a GPU IMO. Whenever I fly this route I see go out w/ empty seats.
Old Jul 8, 15, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA GS
Last month, I was upgraded to Business on an inexpensive "K" class ticket, IST/FRA.

Side note- When I checked in for the flight (several hours before the flight), the Coach cabin was only 30-35% full, at least according to the seat map. I changed my seat assignment to a row near the back because it was in an area with several empty rows. I forgot that LH doesn't assign seats until the day of departure. I am used to United seat maps in which passengers are able to obtain a seat assignment.

Last edited by PBAudit; Jul 8, 15 at 7:15 pm Reason: correction
Old Jul 8, 15, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PBAudit View Post
Last month, I was upgraded to First on an inexpensive "K" class ticket, IST/FRA.

Side note- When I checked in for the flight (several hours before the flight), the Coach cabin was only 30-35% full, at least according to the seat map. I changed my seat assignment to a row near the back because it was in an area with several empty rows. I forgot that LH doesn't assign seats until the day of departure. I am used to United seat maps in which passengers are able to obtain a seat assignment.
there is no First IST-FRA AFAIK.
Old Jul 8, 15, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
there is no First IST-FRA AFAIK.
You are correct. It is Business Class.
Old Jul 8, 15, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Back when I was 1k I was upgraded many times on flights within Europe. I've never flown LH in the back cabin on long haul and never been upgraded from C to F so no data to share on that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: