Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgraded but recieved "We are not yet able to confirm your request ..." message ???

Upgraded but recieved "We are not yet able to confirm your request ..." message ???

Old Jul 8, 15, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL Gold Million-Mile

I bought my SFO-MUC round trip late last month at UAL.com. After I had paid they pitched my an upgrade to business first for the MUC-ORD return leg and I bit. After payment I was re-directed to the seat selection page where I picked out a seat in the business first cabin. The confirmation email said MUC-ORC class R. The upgrade amount was charged to my CC right away.

I thought I was safe but today (in MUC) I received from UAL an email subject "United Airlines Upgrade Status Update..." informing me that "We are not yet able to confirm your request for an upgrade on your flight from Munich...". This is for tomorrow's flight!

Silly me I thought the upgrade was a done deal. Do I have reason to be worried? Did I get outbid?
Old Jul 8, 15, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Does the reservation still show you booked in biz?

If not I'd call in ASAP and also get ready to claim the EU 261 downgrade compensation.
Old Jul 8, 15, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL Gold Million-Mile
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Does the reservation still show you booked in biz?

If not I'd call in ASAP and also get ready to claim the EU 261 downgrade compensation.
Situation was a bit unclear. I knew I was on the waitlist for the ORD-SFO leg. When I looked at the seat selection screens during online checkin just now I am still seated in 7B MUC-ORD. Which is definitely R class. So it appears that I am now "confirmed" for 7B but ORD-SFO is up in the air. Maybe the online checking nailed down the one confirmation.

The wording of the message I received earlier was a bit alarming, since I had not "requested" an upgrade, I had bought one:
"We are not yet able to confirm your request for an upgrade on your flight from Munich, DE (MUC) to Chicago, IL, US (ORD - O'Hare). While your upgrade request will no longer appear in your reservation, you will automatically be added to the upgrade standby list after you complete check-in and receive your boarding pass for this flight."
Old Jul 8, 15, 7:20 am

As long as you have the seat still assigned you should be fine. I certainly understand the concern, but I think you'll be OK.
Old Jul 8, 15, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bervol View Post
I bought my SFO-MUC round trip late last month at UAL.com. After I had paid they pitched my an upgrade to business first for the MUC-ORD return leg and I bit. After payment I was re-directed to the seat selection page where I picked out a seat in the business first cabin. The confirmation email said MUC-ORC class R. The upgrade amount was charged to my CC right away.
I knew I was on the waitlist for the ORD-SFO leg.
Was this exclusively a cash purchase or a miles + cash upgrade award? It sounds like the latter. I have never heard of pax being waitlisted for a cash upgrade.
Old Jul 8, 15, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Situation was a bit unclear. I knew I was on the waitlist for the ORD-SFO leg. When I looked at the seat selection screens during online checkin just now I am still seated in 7B MUC-ORD. Which is definitely R class. So it appears that I am now "confirmed" for 7B but ORD-SFO is up in the air. Maybe the online checking nailed down the one confirmation.

The wording of the message I received earlier was a bit alarming, since I had not "requested" an upgrade, I had bought one:
"We are not yet able to confirm your request for an upgrade on your flight from Munich, DE (MUC) to Chicago, IL, US (ORD - O'Hare). While your upgrade request will no longer appear in your reservation, you will automatically be added to the upgrade standby list after you complete check-in and receive your boarding pass for this flight."
Same thing happened to me prior to CDG-ORD-LAX this week
I got the email 2days prior
I was confirmed upgraded for the CDG-ORD leg at booking and wl for domestic leg. I got the same strange email but all was fine for the upgrade but I did babysit it like all unites flights
Old Jul 8, 15, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Crazyboutflying View Post
I got the same strange email but all was fine for the upgrade but I did babysit it like all unites flights
There is nothing at all strange about that e-mail. It is sent as a matter of course at T-24 anytime a waitlisted BF/GF upgrade has not cleared.
Old Jul 8, 15, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
It's unusual (in my experience) to be booked into R class when buying a class upgrade immediately after purchase. I've previously been upgraded to P and A here, but never R or ON.
Old Jul 8, 15, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skycrab View Post
It's unusual (in my experience) to be booked into R class when buying a class upgrade immediately after purchase. I've previously been upgraded to P and A here, but never R or ON.
Were those domestic upgrades, or international?

It is easy to imagine United booking a cash upgrade into R for a long-haul flight to avoid paying the extra redeemable/status miles for P or A.

Does anyone else have information or experiences about this? I'm about to start flying to Europe for work, and it would be good to know about the class of service cash upgrades book into.
Old Jul 8, 15, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Lori_Q View Post
It is easy to imagine United booking a cash upgrade into R for a long-haul flight to avoid paying the extra redeemable/status miles for P or A.
There are no longer bonus RDM awarded based on fare class. It's all based on spend.

It's not unheard of for purchased upgrades to book into R. Although I still suspect this was a miles + cash upgrade rather than a pure cash purchase.
Old Jul 8, 15, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA

This sounds entirely ordinary on a multi-leg itin where not all legs clear, except for the error in the email about which leg hasn't cleared.
Old Jul 8, 15, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
There is nothing at all strange about that e-mail. It is sent as a matter of course at T-24 anytime a waitlisted BF/GF upgrade has not cleared.
Understood, but I definitely (and I think the OP) had already cleared the upgrade for the international part of the trip and that was the segment referenced in the UA email...so it was a little strange
Old Jul 8, 15, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyboutflying View Post
Understood, but I definitely (and I think the OP) had already cleared the upgrade for the international part of the trip and that was the segment referenced in the UA email...so it was a little strange
Ok you've got me there

(Although it could be argued there's nothing "strange" about getting nonsensical e-mails from UA )
Old Jul 8, 15, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
This sounds entirely ordinary on a multi-leg itin where not all legs clear, except for the error in the email about which leg hasn't cleared.
yup, happens quite often for me as well. The Email just picks the first leg even if that has already cleared.
Old Sep 29, 17, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Strange Upgrade Status Update from UA

So, I thought that this Upgrade Status Update e-mail that I received from United yesterday was a little weird. And I just thought I would share:

We are not yet able to confirm your request for an upgrade on your flight from San Antonio, TX, US (SAT) to Houston, TX, US (IAH - Intercontinental). While your upgrade request will no longer appear in your reservation, you will automatically be added to the upgrade standby list after you complete check-in and receive your boarding pass for this flight. Check in now

Rest assured that your position on the upgrade standby list will be preserved, even during the period before you check in and are added to the lists shown online and at the airport.

After checking in, use the United mobile app or go to united.com/info to view real-time upgrade standby lists.
Nothing too strange there, even though I've never received such an e-mail. No, the odd part is that I already have a confirmed seat in F on that flight!

Has anyone ever seen something like this? Any thoughts on what happened? Note that this is the first stop of a two-flight itinerary. And I called UA to ask that an RPU be applied to the second flight; I believe that I got the SAT-IAH upgrade as a UDU. Perhaps that really confused the system? Only I still see the upgrade request for flight #2 .

Search this Thread
Search Engine: