United vs ANA in Business?

Old Jan 24, 13, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, BA Silver, HH Gold, Starwd Gold
United vs ANA in Business?

Hi,

Planning C class trip to NRT. Any substantive soft or hard product differences?

EWR vs JFK is not an issue for me.

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 13, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
I think NH operates JFK-NRT on a 77W. If so, they have the "Staggered" business product which is going to be miles ahead of the UA business seats. NH service is also better.
Old Jan 24, 13, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
this isn't even a comparison, IMO. NH all day, every day.
Old Jan 24, 13, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, American Airlines, Marriott Gold LT, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
UA= Honda Civic with the seats folded flat (used car with a surly used car salesman but you'll get there).
NH= Infiniti G35 (not the absolute top-of-the-line product but you will like it and enjoy the ride).
Old Jan 24, 13, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
TBH I found the NH seats to be a little cramped and kept banging my leg on the underside of the cocoon. I prefer UA 747 upper deck window. This was on a NH 787 though so maybe their 777s are different. UA wins IFE by a mile.
Old Jan 24, 13, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I didn't like the old NH C seats, but the soft product was fantastic.

I'd fly NH over UA any day.
Old Jan 24, 13, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA1K .6MM
I'm no fan of the ANA seats either. They may be staggered and afford more privacy, but they are also very cramped and don't have any sort of leg extension, which I find to be a huge problem. The Food and service is in another league.
Old Jan 24, 13, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
NH every day + Sunday. Hard product to me is F-light...very private (esp. the seats right by the windows). Soft product is not even worth comparing.

Plus IMO, JFK T7/BA lounge combo is light years ahead of EWR.

Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
TBH I found the NH seats to be a little cramped and kept banging my leg on the underside of the cocoon. I prefer UA 747 upper deck window. This was on a NH 787 though so maybe their 777s are different. UA wins IFE by a mile.
No 747s n/s out of NYC on UA
Old Jan 24, 13, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold, National Emerald
I Have flown both and the old and new configs on NH and UA all in C. While the soft product is much better with NH. The lie flats on UA, PMCO 777 especially, are much better than the old config on NH. The staggered NH is much better although if you are over 6' you will feel cramped on NH.
Old Jan 24, 13, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
During the "sleeping" part of the flight UA tends to be darker and colder in the cabin, NH warmer and not as dark, in case that makes a difference. Personally I like cooler and darker. If you take EWR-NRT try for row 8, with priority to 8E as my preferred business class seat on the sCO 777s.
Old Jan 24, 13, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
I'd say NH in a heartbeat. The NH hard product is better for me (5'10" and slim) but I can appreciate it might be cramped for larger people. Soft product is significantly better on NH even when UA are having a good day. I don't recall a significant difference in the IFE between the two.
Old Jan 24, 13, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tuolumne View Post
I'm no fan of the ANA seats either. They may be staggered and afford more privacy, but they are also very cramped and don't have any sort of leg extension, which I find to be a huge problem. The Food and service is in another league.
Completely agree. The NH seats are also very very hard. But the service is impeccable.
Old Jan 24, 13, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
This is no competition - NH is just miles ahead in soft product. The staggered new C seats are roomier versions of the DL/LX seats and don't descend like a coffin. They also feel more designed and elegant.
In cabin temp varies I find, I've been on hotter UA long haul and cooler NH long haul.
NH all the way.
Old Jan 24, 13, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, BA Silver, HH Gold, Starwd Gold
Thanks to all for the input.

NH it will be.
Old Jan 24, 13, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K
I've flown all the seats. As people say the NH seats are a little cramped but the service is better on NH. I'm tall so for me, I'd probably go with UA, but if you're under 6 feet, NH is probably a better choice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: