Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread: United vs ANA in Business? {Archive} (pre-Polaris)

Print Wikipost

United vs ANA in Business?

Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by wco81
ANA is rolling out new F and J products, called The Suite and The Room respectively. Both will have doors apparently.

First flights with the new seats will be Japan to Honolulu.

Unknown if or when they'd upgrade their flights to/from US with these new seats.

By the time they do, the MP redemptions may be unaffordable. Apparently it would be a better redemption transferring points to VS and redeeming through their program.
First route is actually HND-LHR starting August — https://www.ana.co.jp/group/en/pr/201907/20190711.html
Given how the new config is 8F 64C suspect we'll also see it on FRA and JFK (which currently get the 8F 68C 77Ws), but might not see the new cabins on other US routes any time soon.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:11 pm

United Polaris vs ANA business?

I'm looking at award flights from NRT to the US and I can do United Polaris to EWR or ANA business to JFK for 10k more miles. It seems like the NRT-JFK route on ANA has those new "the room" business class seats. If anyone has flown the 2 different seats before, how do they compare? And is ANA business worth the extra 10k miles?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Sorry, I know you specifically asked people who flown both but I'll answer anyway.
I've never flown ANA business but based on my experience with them in Economy, I wouldn't think twice to spend the extra 10k miles. And their new "the room" seats look much better than Polaris.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Sorry, can't answer you specific question either, but having flown their domestic F several times and their international F once, I would go all in on ANA vs. UA.

BTW, you might keep checking ANA F mileage prices, if on your route. I would not be surprised if F opens up with all the cancellations that are occuring.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by shadoworb
I'm looking at award flights from NRT to the US and I can do United Polaris to EWR or ANA business to JFK for 10k more miles. It seems like the NRT-JFK route on ANA has those new "the room" business class seats. If anyone has flown the 2 different seats before, how do they compare? And is ANA business worth the extra 10k miles?
I have not had an opportunity to try the new seats, but I can't think of any reason how UA Polaris would be even nearly equivalent - I would spend the 10K miles without thinking twice. You're comparing Target to Neiman Marcus and wondering which is better when there is a negligible price difference. Just book ANA
onthesam likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:49 pm

I've flown both and I think the extra 10k is worth it. You can look up the route on ANAs website and it will tell you if it's the room. I actually set myself up for a terrible JFK to EWR transfer to try that seat and have little regret doing that even though it took me 1.5 hours to get from airport to airport.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is such an easy call. NH is worlds better for literally everything. My favorite business class product of any carrier (and that's not even counting the new seat, which if reports are to believed, is the new "best" J seat in the world).

The only advantage to flying UA is you would get Polaris Lounge access at EWR if connecting onwards.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Ordinarily I would make a case for YMMV since the miles can be good for other things (and honestly there's nothing wrong with the Polaris seat) but UA miles are inflating faster than the bolivar at the moment so I would spend them and get the better product while you still can.
Kacee and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
Sorry, can't answer you specific question either, but having flown their domestic F several times and their international F once, I would go all in on ANA vs. UA.

BTW, you might keep checking ANA F mileage prices, if on your route. I would not be surprised if F opens up with all the cancellations that are occuring.
absolute NH and agreed on watching F award availability ...
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Another vote for NH over UA Polaris. Old NH seat trumps Polaris. New NH seat is even better.

And if NH F is available, would recommend jumping on that as well.

While it is true that if you are connecting elsewhere, you will be able to use Polaris Lounge @ EWR, not sure if however many hours in the lounge would trump the 12 hours you'll be spending flying with ANA.
onthesam likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
And is ANA business worth the extra 10k miles?
NH is so much better than UA that 10K extra miles seems like a bargain.
Spend it and enjoy it.
onthesam likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
ANA over UA no matter what all day long.

But doublecheck which seat you'll have. I thought ANA was doing something weird where the new seat was only on HND-JFK and then JFK-NRT. I could be mis-remembering or they may have changed it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.