Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SAA Seat assignment for UA ticketed flights to South Africa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus

Is there any way to book a UA ticket to South Africa and get an advanced seat assignment? I booked a flight departing 9/24 (IAH-IAD, IAD-JNB, JNB-CPT) and returning 10/2 (CPT-JNB, JNB-LHR, LHR-IAH). United couldn't give me a seat for the segments operated by South African Airways, so I first tried SAA's website, then tried calling. Even on the phone, all SAA could do is assign a seat from JNB-LHR; they said I'd have to get a seat assigned in Dulles for the 16-hour IAD-JNB flight.

I was within 24 hours of booking, so I cancelled. Does anyone know of a way to book this trip with assigned seats? Is my only option to book this directly with SAA (which would mean no silver status for my spouse, who needs more PQDs)?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:47 am

it's a bit hazy, but i seem to remember being able to assign seats through the egyptair site. random, i know. but i think possible. Sorrym don't have time to dig around and find the answer.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Won Kay
You'll certainly pay a lot less if you book this through SAA. Probably save more than 50% based on my experience with the IAD-JNB routing.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
This was a few years ago, but I remember being able to call SAA to request seats on an award ticket.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Thanks for all of your replies. I tried calling SAA for my original booking through UA, and they could only assign JNB-LHR, not the IAD-JNB flight. One option is certainly to try booking again through UA, and try calling SAA.

But given the other comments above (and the fact that my spouse is willing to forgo the PQDs he needs for silver status), I may just book directly with SAA. If I do it over the phone, I might be able to get a booking class that will get me 100% PQMs.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Just remember your going through ACC or DKR
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Still can't get SAA seat assignments on codeshare

Resurrecting an old thread, I'm having the same frustrating issue; my wife and I have a flight LHR-JNB this coming Tuesday, and I'm told by SAA phone agent that there's no way to select a seat, even paying to do so, because they have no way to take my money (really???) and seat selection is not part of either an award or "S" fare class ticket. Have to wait until 24 hours prior to flight.

I've left a message via FB Messenger.

By the way, I did try the EgyptAir trick. You can access your record and get really, really close! But not close enough. When it displays the seating chart, they're all "x" and a nondescript error message pops up.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by pinks
Is there any way to book a UA ticket to South Africa and get an advanced seat assignment? I booked a flight departing 9/24 (IAH-IAD, IAD-JNB, JNB-CPT) and returning 10/2 (CPT-JNB, JNB-LHR, LHR-IAH). United couldn't give me a seat for the segments operated by South African Airways, so I first tried SAA's website, then tried calling. Even on the phone, all SAA could do is assign a seat from JNB-LHR; they said I'd have to get a seat assigned in Dulles for the 16-hour IAD-JNB flight.

I was within 24 hours of booking, so I cancelled. Does anyone know of a way to book this trip with assigned seats? Is my only option to book this directly with SAA (which would mean no silver status for my spouse, who needs more PQDs)?

Thanks for your help!
Call UA they should be able to give you the SAA confirmation number. Then you should be able to pick seats unless SAA doesnt allow advance seat purchase
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Still won't matter (having SAA# won't help)

Originally Posted by jp12687
Call UA they should be able to give you the SAA confirmation number. Then you should be able to pick seats unless SAA doesnt allow advance seat purchase
You don't have to call UA for the SAA number.

MY TRIPS> MANAGE> view additional confirmation numbers (which will be on the line below your United Confirmation Number XXXXX).

That will show all other carrier flight record numbers on your itinerary.

And, in the case of SAA, it won't matter. They still won't give a seat assignment, unless your fare class is high enough that it gets one for free. All because they say they have no way to charge you for one. No problem if not a codeshare. Then (I guess?) you have a direct relationship with them.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
... And, in the case of SAA, it won't matter. They still won't give a seat assignment, unless your fare class is high enough that it gets one for free. All because they say they have no way to charge you for one. No problem if not a codeshare. Then (I guess?) you have a direct relationship with them.
This has been an issue with other airlines, such as LH group. There will not / cannot touch a codeshare flight if it involves a financial transaction or a change (such as fare class).

It is interesting UA can do this (E+ fees, upgrades, ...) when they are the flight operator of a codeshare but the above has been reported by many for multiple airlines. A definitive downside for codeshares as more and more airlines are charging for seat assignments.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This has been an issue with other airlines, such as LH group. There will not / cannot touch a codeshare flight if it involves a financial transaction or a change (such as fare class).

It is interesting UA can do this (E+ fees, upgrades, ...) when they are the flight operator of a codeshare but the above has been reported by many for multiple airlines. A definitive downside for codeshares as more and more airlines are charging for seat assignments.
Thankfully, LH itself has remedied that situation; I had no issue on my two LH flights (CPT-FRA & FRA-LHR) paying $46 (total) for seat assignments. As in the past, my wife's award ticked included free seat assignments. Booking class was S.

In my opinion United should be more proactive in letting people know seat assignments will not be available until T-24 on relevant codeshares.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... In my opinion United should be more proactive in letting people know seat assignments will not be available until T-24 on relevant codeshares.
Does not UA actually say that when looking at seating assignments on united.com for codeshares?

It just we-in-the-know have found ways to get around that in many cases.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
more and more airlines are charging for seat assignments
Yes, it's now extremely common. The US legacies are quickly becoming outliers on this point.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:24 pm

Seat assignments a big deal for the always-Y traveler

Does not UA actually say that when looking at seating assignments on united.com for codeshares?

It just we-in-the-know have found ways to get around that in many cases.
UA says seat assignments aren't available; anyone who's been flying for a few years is used to being able to call the operating carrier and getting a seat. Or doing so on-line. If you called UA, they would even tell you that.

Not getting service that used to be the norm, and that you're even willing to pay for, is taking things to a new low. Those traveling in C, not such a big deal, but if you're in Y, a seat assignment can make the difference between being barely tolerable and complete misery. We (those of us in Y) are willing to pay to mitigate that misery.

This 61 year old male is willing to admit that seat guru's "negative" of a seat in proximity to lavatories is a positive. An aisle seat within 3-4 rows of the lav is my preference. The thought of an 11+ hour flight with turbulence scares me almost as much as having blood drawn. Actually, it scares me even more since I've had to get used to the vampires (getting older is not for the weak!).

I almost sound like I'm speaking for the 2P folk again!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:29 pm

... Not getting service that used to be the norm, and that you're even willing to pay for, is taking things to a new low. ...
True, but the issue is not with UA. It is the other carriers.

The interesting thing is it is less of an issue with awards as they are not codeshares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.