Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Question regarding Air Japan -- upgrades, mileage earning, seat assignments, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question regarding Air Japan -- upgrades, mileage earning, seat assignments, ...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP

We have just booked an itinerary from YQR - SGN , via DEN and NRT. NRT - SGN. NRT-SGN (UA 7973) is operated by Air Japan. From my reading of FT Air Japan is actually ANA and according to the MP website all ANA fare codes should earn 100% PQM. We are in Canada so PQD are not a concern at this point at least. I'm not overly fussed about RDM either.

My reservation says that this segment of 2700 miles is not eligible, which seems to run contrary to what is said on FT. When I called the MP service centre their answer is that Air Japan is not a UA partner so no miles are awarded. I tried to explain that if you go to the Air Japan website the ANA logo is everywhere and the reservations page is pure ANA but she insisted that it is not ANA.

We may try cancelling and booking a different route to avoid Air Japan completely but any other advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:42 pm

I flew NH911 and NH912 back in 2014, also operated by Air Japan, and got UA RDM and PQM on these flights. On my ticket receipts these were UA9727/UA9726 code shares.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Fizzer
My reservation says that this segment of 2700 miles is not eligible
That functionality is broken. As acknowledged by UA Insider.

The Air Japan flights will credit if otherwise eligible.

When I called the MP service centre their answer is that Air Japan is not a UA partner so no miles are awarded. I tried to explain that if you go to the Air Japan website the ANA logo is everywhere and the reservations page is pure ANA but she insisted that it is not ANA.
MOLA (mistaken or lying agent).

We may try cancelling and booking a different route to avoid Air Japan completely but any other advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
Not necessary.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You'll get PQD. Don't expect much from the flight: it's regional equipment & for me a miserable 5~6 hours.

Rant
I had a non life threatening but miserable medical emergency on Air Japan last Feb while we were in turbulence that lasted 2 hours (iow: seat belt sign on). None of the FAs would get out of their seat to help. They kept pointing at the sign & looked away. Some wonderful fellow passengers came to my aid. The FAs just yelled at them to get back to their seats.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Thanks to everyone. That's all reassuring. I just wish the website would show what to expect at the time of booking but I guess that's being overly optimistic.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: DL (Platinum), AA, CO, US, SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Silver), Hilton (Diamond)
UA Miles on ANA Japan Air-operated flights

Hi, has anyone recently been successful with earning United miles for ANA flights that are operated by Air Japan? I have heard mixed messages. I called United and they said I won't earn miles b/c it's operated by Air Japan not ANA, even though it's an ANA flight number. Just wondering if anyone has actually had success with this or know of any workarounds? I'm flying them from Tokyo to Hong Kong in business class and it kills me to take a flight that won't earn miles. Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:51 am

It credits just like ANA in my experience. No problem at all. It is like flying on United/SkyWest or similar.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by sbm12
It credits just like ANA in my experience. No problem at all. It is like flying on United/SkyWest or similar.
+1. Air Japan is indistinguishable from ANA.

Like flying SkyWest, on an immaculate widebody with great service and excellent food.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
Air Japan (ANA)

I flew an Air Japan (ANA codeshare) from NRT-TPE as part of a SFO-TPE itinerary in V class in April.

For the Air Japan segment (NRT-TPE), I received 710 RDM base miles + 1K bonus as well as PQMs and PQDs into my MP account.

I've flown them in the past and I haven't had any prior problems receiving RDMs or PQMs.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ny2london
I called United and they said I won't earn miles b/c it's operated by Air Japan not ANA, even though it's an ANA flight number.
The agent was wrong. There was another recent thread on this. UA giving out bad information again.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: DL (Platinum), AA, CO, US, SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Silver), Hilton (Diamond)
Thanks everyone for the responses. This is great news!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Thanks everyone for the responses. This is great news!
Yes it is and please don't worry about it - I have never not received credit for an air Japan flight! They make united express look like a joke....
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Hi, has anyone recently been successful with earning United miles for ANA flights that are operated by Air Japan?
I flew Air Japan from HNL to HND recently. Miles and PQD credited, but were 38k miles and $2000 PQD short. Had to email GS to get it fixed.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:53 pm

Thanks again. My flights aren't UA # flights though. They are marked as NH (which I assume is ANA's symbol). Does this still qualify for earning me miles?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks again. My flights aren't UA # flights though. They are marked as NH (which I assume is ANA's symbol). Does this still qualify for earning me miles?
Flight coding is a non-issue -- flight operator is all that matters inside *A.
(and of course ticket stock due to UA MP rules).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.