FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Flight Attendant Rant (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1691187-flight-attendant-rant.html)

xzh445 Jun 29, 2015 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL (Post 25043032)
She is really angry. I feel bad for her because she doesn't seem like she enjoys working at UA.

+1

Originally Posted by minnyfly (Post 25043824)
Exactly what I was going to say. She needs to quit or be fired. Not only is it completely unprofessional, but she's also is wrong in some of her beliefs, and she has the "I know better than management" attitude that you can't have as an employee. I don't feel bad for her at all.

+1 And not only unprofessional; I am not sure that I would want to rely on someone this undone in an emergency. Sounds like this one is over the edge, and needs to dial back in, or leave.

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 25043865)
If you fired every United Airlines employee guilty of that syndrome, there'd be tumbleweeds and cobwebs in the concourses.

In most organizations it is possible to manage employees into greater productivity and accountability via a program of respect, empowerment, and rewards. United, however, pursues a program of threats, bad faith, and disenfranchisement, so it will be a lot harder to change the atmosphere, if indeed it's at all possible.

It's called Professionalism. There is a time and place for spouting one's discontent. If one is that disenchanted with their work that they are spouting like an undone child in clear proximity of those contributing to one's livlihood, the behavior is not professional, and they need to go.

EWRFlyerAL Jun 29, 2015 12:46 pm

Service was fine. She was not in the F cabin (or at least not serving it). I was working on my laptop, so I had limited interaction with the other FA. She started up again as we were landing and they took the jumpseats. This time it was about the gate agents and how she didn't like the gate agents in ORD. She was also talking about how a plane went MX at SXM and that the pilots had to stay there for five days. Her quote "five days, what a vacation." :)

StingWest Jun 29, 2015 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 25044016)
As for UA toxicity -- yes. The airline is at a very low ebb in 2015 but it should be said that before they hated Smisek, the employees hated Ferris, Wolf, Greenwald, Goodwin, Creighton, and Tilton. They destroyed all except Creighton (who was only an interim CEO) with sabotage, work-to-rule campaigns, public criticism, etc. They hate anyone who dares to try to run the airline and have done since the 1980s. It's horrible. Smisek has done very bad things but to me when it comes to laying blame for the current miserable chapter it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

They (the employees) may have disliked the people you mentioned, but at least some of those guys made some positive passenger-focused moves during their tenure. Smisek seems to be at or near the bottom of even this group.

The unions, however, must share some of the blame though for the toxic employment environment that you describe too, and especially for permitting such FA behavior to exist. In a normal business, an employee so burned out or disenfranchised would be quickly drummed out, and everyone would be the better.

Agree, though, that the employee should not remonstrate in front of the passengers - very bad form indeed - time to find another profession!

Stripe Jun 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Sounds like some of the trash talk you would hear from the FAs and GAs during the darker days at NW. Regardless of their merits, front line employees should not be airing that stuff in front of customers.

REPUBLIC757 Jun 29, 2015 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080 (Post 25043859)
She better watch out... One day someone will report her and she will find herself out of a job.

You'd figure, but I had a LAX-SFO flight in January where one of the F/A's couldn't stop {complaining} about her being an Ex-CON. This stuff seems to happen more often than you'd think.

She was absolutely useless too. Couldn't help me fine out if I'd make my connection to ATL (ground stop in SFO, other F/A was a lot cooler and helper me out) and then shooed me out of the F cabin when I tried to use the restroom (Y cabins were full.)

LASUA1K Jun 29, 2015 2:48 pm

I don't blame the FA for being upset, but saying this stuff in front of the passengers, especially F class passengers is just plain wrong.

Always Flyin Jun 29, 2015 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by mike_asia (Post 25043390)
What kind of customer wants to hear a trolley dolly complain on a flight?

"Trolly dolly"?

That statement is far more offensive than anything the flight attendant said.

Originally Posted by minnyfly (Post 25043824)
Exactly what I was going to say. She needs to quit or be fired. Not only is it completely unprofessional, but she's also is wrong in some of her beliefs, and she has the "I know better than management" attitude that you can't have as an employee. I don't feel bad for her at all.

No she is not and it doesn't take much to know more than this management team, which is managing solely by spreadsheet and this quarter's performance.

Flight attendants have a whole lot better handle on keeping passengers happy than this management does.

Originally Posted by sanfran8080 (Post 25043859)
She better watch out... One day someone will report her and she will find herself out of a job.

Yeah, right.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 25044877)
I don't blame the FA for being upset, but saying this stuff in front of the passengers, especially F class passengers is just plain wrong.

An airline, acting as this one has, that infuriates passengers and employees alike is just plain wrong.

Pi7473000 Jun 29, 2015 4:55 pm

I agree with her thoughs about JFK! It is too bad I will not be able to fly there on United as I had done for years before the merger!

mike_asia Jun 29, 2015 5:10 pm

I would encourage the OP to report this to United.
It's a disgrace to all the hard working people at United around the globe

cfischer Jun 29, 2015 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by mike_asia (Post 25045536)

Agreed. This should not be discussed in front of the customer.
Although I agree 100% with all the issues mentioned, it is not acceptable to badmouth a company in public.

Always Flyin Jun 29, 2015 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by mike_asia (Post 25045536)

United Airlines is a disgrace to all the hard working employees it has around the globe.

mike_asia Jun 29, 2015 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 25045695)
United Airlines is a disgrace to all the hard working employees it has around the globe.

They are all free to quit I believe

Always Flyin Jun 29, 2015 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by mike_asia (Post 25045697)
They are all free to quit I believe

And United is able to improve.

Employees are human beings. They are not machines, much to the chagrin of SMI/J. You beat them down long enough, as UA has done particularly with its flight attendants, and you have to expect them to vent.

I am not saying employees should be wantonly bashing their employers, but under the current circumstances, I fully understand it.

blueman2 Jun 29, 2015 6:35 pm

I just hope that United employees (and all employees for that matter) realize that, in general, Free Speech rights do not apply to private sector. So typically a private sector employer is free to fire someone who disparages them.

Always Flyin Jun 29, 2015 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2 (Post 25045838)
I just hope that United employees (and all employees for that matter) realize that, in general, Free Speech rights do not apply to private sector. So typically a private sector employer is free to fire someone who disparages them.

Except for unions.