Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

When can I get my refund - Consolidated Help / Experiences with United (UA) Refunds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

When can I get my refund - Consolidated Help / Experiences with United (UA) Refunds

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:42 pm

UA response

I did some additional research on this and since you held a refundable fare, your ticket should have been refunded when you originally requested. Unfortunately, our Refunds Department denied your request in error, and I sincerely apologize for the oversight. We have quality measures in place, but will continue to work to improve our service so we may prevent a recurrence of this type of experience.
Yup, and this oversight would have been permitted to remain except for the DOT. Oh, and it doesn't hurt us.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do I still need to submit a request for refund on residual value?

I changed a refundable ticket's itinerary on Sunday thru the Web Support line because online I kept getting error.

It resulted to a few hundreds residual value which the agent said would be refunded to my credit card even though the original form of payment is a combination of TCV and credit card. She said it would be within 48 hours but I seriously doubt it.

I have not seen anything showing up on my credit card. What I am worried is the refund might be in limbo when the system detected the original form of payment(s). I called Web Support to check on the status. The agent said in the system it showed "refunded" and there was no TCV reference. But he could not tell where the refund has been sent to. (or for that matter, being processed or not!)

Do I still need to submit a request online to request the residual refund?

When I check the refund status, I got this error message.

Unable to process this request.
Please contact your Customer Service representative at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331).

Does this mean the refund has never been processed?

A year ago when I canceled a refundable ticket on line and then submitted the request online, I only got the refund on the portion of CC payment which was relatively small comparing to the TCV value. I had to call refund dept and requested it to be re-processed, else I would need to file DOT complaint as online it showed me the Full Value of the ticket would be refunded (just over $1K). With a few days of the follow up call, I got an email with a new TCV. I wonder if I have to go thru the same process again.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 10, 2016 at 7:52 pm
Old May 18, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Looked for a Wiki on the issue of Cancelled tickets but could only find for cancellation with 24 hours or award tickets. I want to cancel a ticket (outside the 24 hour period) and I realize that I will pay a cancellation fee but I do not understand why my only two options are an electronic ticket (ETC) or a future flight. I paid with a CC (and think there may have been a small ETC used as well) so do I need to call in to get the CC refund?

Thank you.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Most discount fares are not refundable. If you know that your fare is refundable (many Australia-US fares are), then yes I would call especially if you split tendered your payment which may confuse their systems.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Most discount fares are not refundable. If you know that your fare is refundable (many Australia-US fares are), then yes I would call especially if you split tendered your payment which may confuse their systems.
Thank you. You were right it was a refundable ticket and I did need to call in but not because it was a split tendered payment (although that could have been a cause). The 1K agent told me there are 152 requests for refund in the help desk queue ahead of me as apparently there is an issue with refunds.

Love FT. You guys are so helpful! Thank you especially today to findark
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Thank you. You were right it was a refundable ticket and I did need to call in but not because it was a split tendered payment (although that could have been a cause). The 1K agent told me there are 152 requests for refund in the help desk queue ahead of me as apparently there is an issue with refunds.

Love FT. You guys are so helpful! Thank you especially today to findark
Well after being quoted 7-10 days on May 18 for the refund, it had still not been processed to my credit card as of June 6. I called in and was told it can take two billing cycles. The person on the phone then looked into it and said the ETC (there was a $200 certificate I had used for part of the reservation) will come through two weeks from today and it will be 7-10 days for the refund to my credit card. However, the credit card company may not provide it for two billing cycles. Somehow I do not think it is Chase that is not going to process my refunds.....

There had also been a double charge for the UK airport tax for a GPU (and that refund has also not been processed) on a separate itinerary. I had called about the day the second charge came through on May 19 and they told me they would begin the refund process that day. Strangely enough that is the same thing they told me tonight that they would process the refund tonight.

Is there some independent body you can call about this? I had called in about both these refunds on May 18 and May 19, and yet it took another call after I received my credit card statement and then called Chase to go through every transaction. They did not process the refunds the first times I called on May 18 and May 19, so why do I think they will do so after the call tonight, and why should it take two calls for me to get my money?

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Jun 6, 2017 at 11:49 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:45 am

Well after being quoted 7-10 days on May 18 for the refund, it had still not been processed to my credit card as of June 6. I called in and was told it can take two billing cycles. The person on the phone then looked into it and said the ETC (there was a $200 certificate I had used for part of the reservation) will come through two weeks from today and it will be 7-10 days for the refund to my credit card. However, the credit card company may not provide it for two billing cycles. Somehow I do not think it is Chase that is not going to process my refunds.....

There had also been a double charge for the UK airport tax for a GPU (and that refund has also not been processed) on a separate itinerary. I had called about the day the second charge came through on May 19 and they told me they would begin the refund process that day. Strangely enough that is the same thing they told me tonight that they would process the refund tonight.

Is there some independent body you can call about this? I had called in about both these refunds on May 18 and May 19, and yet it took another call after I received my credit card statement and then called Chase to go through every transaction. They did not process the refunds the first times I called on May 18 and May 19, so why do I think they will do so after the call tonight, and why should it take two calls for me to get my money?
Received e-mails from United Refunds overnight so the second point of contact worked. Just wanted to provide an update, and thank those of you with the PMs about the DOT reporting that is available. I did not avail myself of this option but mention for others that may have this issue in the future.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Received e-mails from United Refunds overnight so the second point of contact worked. Just wanted to provide an update, and thank those of you with the PMs about the DOT reporting that is available. I did not avail myself of this option but mention for others that may have this issue in the future.
And just to amplify, airlines are required by DOT reg to process credit card refunds within 7 business days.

IME UA has been pretty good about this the past couple of years, but if you ever get this "two billing cycle" garbage (or anything similar), know that's not acceptable and politely insist the refund be processed immediately per DOT regulations.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:00 am

Just found this thread and thought I might share this.

On June 16 I booked two separate reservations on united.com for around $3.3k each for Sep. Different people, dates, and flights. I realized I used the wrong credit card so I booked another two for the same people, flights, and dates, and then went on to cancel the original pair. All within 24h hours of the original booking of course. Got the refund emails promptly but no actual credit card refund. Called back June 29. Agent said the problem is the cancelled/active reservation pairs had something in common that prevented the refund but I don't remember her exact words. All 4 eticket numbers are different. And the cancellation went far enough that I managed to reserve the same seats later on the new res. Whatever she did, both cancelled reservations now show as Refunded on united.com. Don't think I saw this before calling. I am still waiting for the money though from what I read here this is within normal.

Any advice what is going on here? Is it better practice to cancel first and then rebook? I was not worried about finding availability on the rebook. Largely went down the rebook-first-then-cancel route because I was curious and I saw that recommended somewhere.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fly046
Just found this thread and thought I might share this.

On June 16 I booked two separate reservations on united.com for around $3.3k each for Sep. Different people, dates, and flights. I realized I used the wrong credit card so I booked another two for the same people, flights, and dates, and then went on to cancel the original pair. All within 24h hours of the original booking of course. Got the refund emails promptly but no actual credit card refund. Called back June 29. Agent said the problem is the cancelled/active reservation pairs had something in common that prevented the refund but I don't remember her exact words. All 4 eticket numbers are different. And the cancellation went far enough that I managed to reserve the same seats later on the new res. Whatever she did, both cancelled reservations now show as Refunded on united.com. Don't think I saw this before calling. I am still waiting for the money though from what I read here this is within normal.

Any advice what is going on here? Is it better practice to cancel first and then rebook? I was not worried about finding availability on the rebook. Largely went down the rebook-first-then-cancel route because I was curious and I saw that recommended somewhere.
You did the right thing. UA messed up.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
On an UA TATL flight last week, I purchased WiFi. Due to a diversion, I was only able to use a few minutes of WiFi - had it on pause before internet service stopped (below 10,000 ft).

I filed for a refund request the next morning. No notification from UA, but upon checking the status myself this evening - denied!

Rang the premier desk to inquire additional information about the denial. Was told the refund department is closed, and I should call back during business hours.

Do I have a case here? I rarely request for a refund of WiFi purchase, even for choppy connections. I feel like the outright rejection is a bit absurd.

By the way, UA refunded my entire itinerary - thousands of dollars (plus ETC for the diversion); the award flight as part of the trip - miles redeposit plus all associated fee; yet they want to nickel and dime over some WiFi cost?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
By the way, UA refunded my entire itinerary - thousands of dollars (plus ETC for the diversion); the award flight as part of the trip - miles redeposit plus all associated fee; yet they want to nickel and dime over some WiFi cost?
That's crazy. I would keep trying just on principle. You might complain to customer care.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:11 pm
FTA

On the refunds page, what do UA Used and ZH Used mean? Thank you
Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTA
On the refunds page, what do UA Used and ZH Used mean? Thank you
You mean, after putting in your ticket details?

That's giving you the status of each coupon in your e-ticket. UA Used means that that coupon was redeemed for travel on United Airlines. ZH Used is the same, for Shenzhen Airlines.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:29 pm
FTA

After I log into my account and go to the refunds page. I didn't enter any ticket info. But I think that still answers my question. Thank you.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.