Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) E+ or Lufthansa (LH) Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Would appreciate any recommendation. Am United *G currently slated to fly with my wife from BCN to IAD via FRA on LH on 14 July. Award ticket in Economy. We're on the 747-4 from FRA to IAD. According to the LH seatmap, they'll be using a plane with the Version 2 (SG) seating arrangement, and I can't tell if it has updated IFE.

Just opened up is a flight on LX and the UA via GVA. That would be on an old 767-3, but we'd both get E+ due to my *G status. I know the IFE on this plane is old, small, and non-interactive. On this route, there is also the VERY small chance of an upgrade to business for one of us, as I'm *G and have the MileagePlus Chase Visa card.

The flight difference is minimal (GVA routing is 25 minutes longer, but the flight leaves BCN at 7:55am vs. 6:55am, for LH).

I have not flown LH in Economy in many years, so I do not know what to expect. Just curious as to folks' thoughts/recommendations if I should stick with my original LH routing or jump on the UA E+ seats.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NellieVA
Would appreciate any recommendation. Am United *G currently slated to fly with my wife from BCN to IAD via FRA on LH on 14 July. Award ticket in Economy. We're on the 747-4 from FRA to IAD. According to the LH seatmap, they'll be using a plane with the Version 2 (SG) seating arrangement, and I can't tell if it has updated IFE.

Just opened up is a flight on LX and the UA via GVA. That would be on an old 767-3, but we'd both get E+ due to my *G status. I know the IFE on this plane is old, small, and non-interactive. On this route, there is also the VERY small chance of an upgrade to business for one of us, as I'm *G and have the MileagePlus Chase Visa card.

The flight difference is minimal (GVA routing is 25 minutes longer, but the flight leaves BCN at 7:55am vs. 6:55am, for LH).

I have not flown LH in Economy in many years, so I do not know what to expect. Just curious as to folks' thoughts/recommendations if I should stick with my original LH routing or jump on the UA E+ seats.
I'm confused. Is it a LH or LX flight? Or do you mean that the first (currently ticketed) option is LH connecting to LH while the second is LX connecting to UA?

Personally, I'd take the slightly later departure time and opportunity to avoid FRA connections in the absence of clear information about aircraft type (which is always subject to change anyway). A further consideration is that the 767 should be 2-3-2 seating in coach, so if there are two traveling together, a window-aisle pair of seats by yourselves is rather nice.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
I had the same issue when deciding last week.

I ended up taking the UA IAD - FRA option (on a 777-200) over the LH product. I will be flying back to IAH on the LH 380 in a few days.

I enjoyed the extra legroom
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
First off, you have no chance of an upgrade taking the UA flight. There are no complementary upgrades on TATL flights - so put that thought out of the equation.

If it were me, I'd take the LX/UA option for the following reasons, in no particular order:
1..The legroom is far better in E+ than LH Y
2..I like the 2 seats together on the side of the 767
3..I don't use the IFE so the poor quality on UA does not bother me.
4..You gain lifetime miles on UA - but that might not be important to you.
5..Changing in ZRH is a breeze, whereas FRA is the opposite.
6..The rather faded and old seats on UA are still reasonably comfortable.

However, the food, drink and service on LH is far better than on UA. If you are not tall, that might be the swing factor.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
The seat makes all the difference to me. On LH, I have the front seat just right next to my knees. And I am only 6'.

But then, service-wise, LH is better, usually.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:32 am

Agree with all of the above. Plus I'd much prefer the 767's 7 across as opposed to the 747's 10 across. And LH IFE is nothing to get too excited about.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
It depends on how tall you are.

The legroom in E+ will be much better than Y on a LH 747 . If you're over 6', I wouldn't even bother with LH. The legroom is that bad for tall people. And as others have pointed out, the two of you being able to sit next to each other on UA is a big plus.

I don't have any experience with GVA and FRA airports, but it sounds like GVA is much easier to transfer through.

IMHO, I would pick UA for this trip. I think E+ and having two seats to yourselves is nicer than any good food/service you'd get on LH.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:43 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
UA E+ over LH Y - no question about it!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Yes! Grab the E+ seats while they're still there!

I find FRA a big, crowded airport which should be avoided if possible. I've never connected in Zurich, but it's got to be better than FRA!

Plus you would get another hour of sleep...

Final advise: make sure that you have at least 90 minutes of connection time (2 hours is better) - just in case!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
4..You gain lifetime miles on UA - but that might not be important to you.
To be clear, no lifetime or any miles gained on an award ticket.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StingWest

I find FRA a big, crowded airport which should be avoided if possible. I've never connected in Zurich, but it's got to be better than FRA!

Final advise: make sure that you have at least 90 minutes of connection time (2 hours is better) - just in case!
To be clear, the new option is to connect at GVA, nor ZRH.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by StingWest

90/120 minutes to connect at GVA?? Completely unnecessary. This airport is easy and fast. Given you'll have two seats to each other on the side of the 767 and won't have to fight over the underseat storage in front of you and can board towards the end, I'd say 45 mins and you'd be fine.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
GVA > FRA (very easy choice)
UA E+ > LH Y (no contest)
LX > LH (chocolate)
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Normally, I would agree that UA E+ is better than LH Y but on really has to take the reliability of the UA long haul operation into effect at this point, too.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Normally, I would agree that UA E+ is better than LH Y but on really has to take the reliability of the UA long haul operation into effect at this point, too.
If it were just the seat, UA E+ probably wins hands down. The plane may be delayed due to mechanical, you may need to bring a roll of tape to hold down the side paneling, there may be AVOD but using a screen only slightly larger than a smartphone, but you should have a good seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.