FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Providing Advance Notice (multiple days) of Delays/Cancellations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1689348-ua-providing-advance-notice-multiple-days-delays-cancellations.html)

BelmontRef Aug 26, 2014 5:30 am

Originally Posted by DBCme (Post 23425190)
Thanks for clarifying. Wasn't sure if it was one of those warning messages along the lines of "flow control" and your flight may be impacted. In this case, they actually made a schedule change. Strange UA reps wouldn't see that.

No, it wasn't a "schedule change", it was a re-quoted ETD. The flight still showed 11:40 as the scheduled departure time but 12:50 as the ETD.

A re-quoted ETD does not change anything in the PNR so there was nothing to see there. Within a certain point before departure, the display of a PNR also displays ETD and ETA information for the flight but it may have been too far in the future for that to happen. So it may have been that the reservations representative who did see it took the extra step of manually looking up the ETD/ETA information.

david919 Aug 26, 2014 5:48 am

i know this is hurting when you have all set to go then there is something that stops you but you need not worry. you may receive another message regarding all set for the flight. The all that is happening is for your good... :)
Have a safe journey and hope you will be on the right time where you want to be...

fjfv19 Aug 26, 2014 5:51 am

Originally Posted by david919 (Post 23425299)
Have a safe journey and hope you will be on the right time where you want to be...

Always the ultimate goal! Welcome to FlyerTalk! :-::-:

Kmxu Aug 26, 2014 6:07 am

Originally Posted by embarcadero1 (Post 23424260)
When flying United, one must gird for battle. That's what the OP did and his experience shows why this is required. It's a sad statement about United.

Better proactive than not!

bocastephen Aug 26, 2014 8:49 am

Originally Posted by DBCme (Post 23425190)
Thanks for clarifying. Wasn't sure if it was one of those warning messages along the lines of "flow control" and your flight may be impacted. In this case, they actually made a schedule change. Strange UA reps wouldn't see that.

That's the strange thing - the first rep (who was very nice and sympathetic, but just could not see the delay in her system) saw this email in her system and that it went out, but could not see the actual delay posted for the flight (although the website did) nor a delay warning on my PNR.

tkc98110 Jun 21, 2015 4:08 pm

UA Providing Advance Notice (multiple days) of Delays/Cancellations

This is new to me--flying SEA-SFO on 6/24, yesterday I was rebooked on a flight several hours later, and just now received this notification from UA "Your flight on Jun. 24 (UA1531) from Seattle to San Francisco has been canceled due to operational difficulties."

Does that mean a light load? Just wondering.....

boss315 Jun 21, 2015 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by tkc98110 (Post 25005908)
This is new to me--flying SEA-SFO on 6/24, yesterday I was rebooked on a flight several hours later, and just now received this notification from UA "Your flight on Jun. 24 (UA1531) from Seattle to San Francisco has been canceled due to operational difficulties."

Does that mean a light load? Just wondering.....

UA knows that something will break somewhere, so they rolled the dice and your flight was the winner !

mahasamatman Jun 21, 2015 4:16 pm

Possible aircraft and crew allocation issues?

tkc98110 Jun 21, 2015 4:17 pm

Unfortunately your logic is convincing :)

lensman Jun 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Does UA do any schedule mapping 4 days out?

From the fact that you can only search for a tail number 3 days out you *might* think that they don't assign one until then but we know this to be false.

Is there some operational handoff at that point? Or do they redo the schedule at that point to account for unanticipated maintenance?

Or are these processes continuous and occur as far out as necessary when a frame needs to be taken out of service for unscheduled maintenance?

NJFlyer42 Jun 21, 2015 7:09 pm

Communication?

Maybe somebody looked at the schedule for four days out and realized they were in trouble.

So they communicated the problem as soon as they realized it so passengers had time to deal with it.

Ok, this post is overly optimistic for this board ...

sbm12 Jun 21, 2015 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by lensman (Post 25006509)
Does UA do any schedule mapping 4 days out?
Or are these processes continuous and occur as far out as necessary when a frame needs to be taken out of service for unscheduled maintenance?

Yes and yes.

Often1 Jun 21, 2015 7:30 pm

All it takes is negative availability for an aircraft on one flight somewhere 4 days from now and something has to give. This is likely the flight selected for the hit.

This thread ought to be merged with the one with people claiming that UA loused up by telling them at the last second when it had to have known ages ago....

Loren Pechtel Jun 21, 2015 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 25006576)
All it takes is negative availability for an aircraft on one flight somewhere 4 days from now and something has to give. This is likely the flight selected for the hit.

That was my thought, also.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they look at loads when deciding which flights (it's unlikely to be just one) get the axe in a situation like this--thus making people think they cancel flights for too light a load.

adambadam Jun 21, 2015 11:40 pm

Could also be they had a plane they needed to take out for major unscheduled MX repair and had to shift schedules to accommodate.