Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This will increasing make *A flights at JFK O&D as there will be fewer convenient feeder flights operated by partners. NYC is a big O&D market, but some partners operate nonstop flights to/from some rather exotic destinations that aren't easily served via other routes.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Sad

Always enjoyed flying to SFO/LAX via JFK to get p.s. service. EWR just isn't as convenient.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:43 am

Getting to/from Newark from Midtown Manhattan is a disaster. They are going to lose a decent chunk of customers
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by SunLover
JFK is a competitive station.
EWR is a fortress hub.
Enough said.

SunLover
DING! Oh well. One less GFL as well then, I suppose.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
If I were still living full time in NYC after this I say good riddance to JFK, was much more of a hassle getting there from my place (Astor Place) than to EWR. The lounge was nothing special compared to at EWR and the terminal was fairly dumpy.

Was already looking at some TATL flights to GPU and not finding West Coast-EU space it makes for a better route if having to connect in the east coast that you can go SFO/LAX-EWR-EU in a flat bed instead of a recliner for the TCON.

Originally Posted by red grenadine
Getting to/from Newark from Midtown Manhattan is a disaster. They are going to lose a decent chunk of customers
Have you never heard of the AirTrain from NYP?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Was there a crew base at JFK? Will there be?

I wonder if any of the *A carriers at JFK will leave for EWR. Quite a few - AC, CA, AI, NH, OZ, OS, AV, SN, CM, MS, BR, LO, LH, SQ, SA, LX, TK ( http://www.staralliance.com/en/servi...on/airport/jfk ).
My guess is the JFK base will start working the sUA flights ex-EWR (dom/intl) if they already haven't done so.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
so one of two things happen.

All flights are PS, in which capacity between hubs is a nightmare, or
There are other flights, then a lot of the cost premium disappears.

Either way - I wouldn't be shocked if UA eliminated PS in a few years when they find that they lost a LOT of business from NYC customers and can't sustain PS on hub-to-hub feeders

edit: so - UA continues its retreat to fortress hubs, to turn back into the same sCO that originally needed a merger to survive because it couldn't last on fortress hubs... interesting strategy
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by red grenadine
A disaster? I think nt. There are trains and there is a bus every 15 minutes. And besides, getting from midtown to JFK is no walk in the park.

Regarding the announcement, I always expected UA to add an EWR p.s. route, not to move the whole thing to EWR.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
Wow, no presence at all at JFK. I wish they would switch the name of the airline to CO. This airline is returning to pmCO in its entirety. 3rd rate airline, flying into 3rd rate airports.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
One of the nice things about the P.S. product was guaranteed decent wifi. The 757 fleet ex-P.S. is a big question mark. Will that Wifi upgrade get completed prior to the closure of JFK, or should business travelers who want Wifi book basically anybody else?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
United plans to swap its slots at Kennedy with Delta Air Lines Inc. and take Delta’s slots at Newark.
Yea... because those slots at EWR are just as valuable as JFK.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Regarding the announcement, I always expected UA to add an EWR p.s. route, not to move the whole thing to EWR.
that's what I thought they were doing. that would've been good.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Add me to the list of people who are disappointed. EWR isn't bad (most of the time, except Terminal A...that's bad all the time) but it's not much of a Star Hub. This cuts off access to a lot of airlines and flights out of JFK on other Star carriers. And it removes an airport that's easy to get to from the east side, from Queens, Westchester, Connecticut etc. Very, very disappointing.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Yes others do too, but they have LGA as an option. People in SFO and LAX will no longer be able to get to the other side without connecting in ORD, DEN or IAH.
Why would we fly to LGA when we have nonstops on DL, AA, VX, and B6 from the Bay Area and LA Area to JFK?

They will not be able to sustain hourly PS service as they will lose a ton of West Coast traffic to AA, DL and JetBlue. Then PS will pooof away into the sunset.
Why not? UA has a lot of connecting traffic over EWR.

Another good sUA product that they couldn't wait to throw away.
Pretty much. I just saw in the schedule today that DL has upgauged their large RJs to mainline on some SJC-LAX and OAK-LAX flights -- both routes that UA gave up.

It's shocking to see some of these decisions, but if as an airline, they can't compete, you can't really blame them.

Now to see if they'll rebook my upcoming PS flights onto AA, or if I should take a refund...
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What *A partners currently have EWR flights? SAS I know, and SQ used to fly from EWR as well as JFK. I would guess that Copa belongs on the list. Any others? Does AC even fly into EWR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.