Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Was there a crew base at JFK? Will there be?

I wonder if any of the *A carriers at JFK will leave for EWR. Quite a few - AC, CA, AI, NH, OZ, OS, AV, SN, CM, MS, BR, LO, LH, SQ, SA, LX, TK ( http://www.staralliance.com/en/servi...on/airport/jfk ).
I doubt it. JFK is still the ideal international airport for those carriers if NYC is your final destination.

If you are using NYC to transfer, you can book a flight in to EWR and continue on via UA service.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I'm sorry, but this is a bad bad bad decision. People in the west coast, dislike EWR, and they will take business elsewhere. I remember hearing UA was making money on this route now they are not? Is it because First went away on the route?

I really don't understand how a world class airline, won't serve JFK. Sorry, but this is a big loss, and a dumb move by UA.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Symbolically it's shocking, but moving to EWR is also a way to differentiate UA's product (versus DL, AA, and JetBlue) and to capture high yielding passengers who prefer EWR for locational convenience. It also facilitates west coast connections at EWR to UA and some *A TATL flights. UA's NYC hub is at EWR, not JFK, and for connections they have fewer partner flights than earlier (US at LGA before the swap with DL at DCA) if people are willing to do the LGA to JFK transfer.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Symbolically it's shocking, but moving to EWR is also a way to differentiate UA's product (versus DL, AA, and JetBlue) and to capture high yielding passengers who prefer EWR for locational convenience. It also facilitates west coast connections at EWR to UA and *A TATL flights.
I don't think I've ever read those words together before...

EWR's value (vs. LGA & JFK) is for connecting to/from international flights. If your final destination is NYC, EWR is the worst of the 3.

EWR is like OAK while JFK is SFO.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by zrs70
1) will all flights be ps, or just some?
Yes I am wondering this as well.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
For a long time, AA and UA were the only airlines running premium flights JFK-SFO/LAX. Now Delta and JetBlue have started their premium flights, impacting yields. EWR-SFO/LAX had no premium flights and were treated like any other transcon. I think UA sees an opportunity to offer PS on EWR-SFO/LAX and will reallocate its planes accordingly.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RockinPete
I don't think I've ever read those words together before...

EWR's value (vs. LGA & JFK) is for connecting to/from international flights. If your final destination is NYC, EWR is the worst of the 3.

EWR is like OAK while JFK is SFO.
Not if you live or work in New Jersey. There are HVC there too, not just in the city, on Long Island, or in southern/western Connecticut.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
The press release says all flights. Doesn't say whether the 752's that are coming off TATL routes will be reconfigured with additional BF seats or left with 16 BF seats.

I also liked the comments about EWR and new technologies -

United Airlines is partnering with OTG Management to transform the shopping and dining experience in Terminal C, already one of the most modern airline terminals in the country, with high-end restaurants designed by internationally and regionally acclaimed chefs and gate areas updated with custom seating and tables.

In gate areas, United customers will be able to use iPads to track their flights and order food and beverages for delivery to the gate within 15 minutes.

With electronic payment technology, MileagePlus members are able to use award miles for food, beverage and other purchases with the nearly 6,000 iPads to be deployed for customer use throughout the terminal.

(Bolding mine...)
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:29 am

Don't forget about the pmUA employees who are going to undoubtedly suffer. They aren't going to need all of them at EWR. Such a sad day for all my JFK friends. God bless you all, keep your chin held high!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Big surprise and a big loss. JFK transcon fares were competitively priced. Guessing EWR transcon fares will not be.

SunLover

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not if you live or work in New Jersey. There are HVC there too, not just in the city, on Long Island, or in southern/western Connecticut.
JFK is a competitive station.
EWR is a fortress hub.
Enough said.

SunLover

Last edited by goalie; Jun 16, 2015 at 12:33 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
People in the west coast, dislike EWR
I'm doubt it's limited to west coasters that dislike it.

I really hope UA doesn't begin to cut back on capacity in/out of LGA. I try to only fly via LGA on UA when in the city.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SunLover
JFK is a competitive station.
EWR is a fortress hub.
Enough said.

SunLover
Pretty much describes it

Wonder what the total capacity cut will be once they move the flights over...can't imagine they'll have the same total # of SFO/LAX flights.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:35 am

I've said it before, but once again, this is just stupid. Once again, UA runs away from the competition. Run UA Run.

What about all those 777 being reconfigured, I'm guessing those will not fly any EWR-SFO,LAX? Wasn't the goal to take hub to hub flights and minimize them with larger aircraft. Oh boy UA, you really have no plan. Sell the slots to Delta, show a nice balance sheet and continue your jobs for a few more years.

Bad bad bad. Did I say, BAD?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Buried in the press release are announcements of lounge and ticket lobby renovations at EWR, too, along with a slot swap with DL (DL gives up some EWR to UA, UA gives up JFK portfolio to DL).

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I'm sorry, but this is a bad bad bad decision. People in the west coast, dislike EWR, and they will take business elsewhere. I remember hearing UA was making money on this route now they are not? Is it because First went away on the route?

I really don't understand how a world class airline, won't serve JFK. Sorry, but this is a big loss, and a dumb move by UA.
From http://www.cnbc.com/id/102752207

United Airlines said on Tuesday it plans to end service in October at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, where it failed to profit over seven years because it offered few connections to other cities, and add flights at its Newark, New Jersey hub.
Interesting. I would not have guessed UA was struggling at JFK for that long.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'm doubt it's limited to west coasters that dislike it.
Yes others do too, but they have LGA as an option. People in SFO and LAX will no longer be able to get to the other side without connecting in ORD, DEN or IAH.

They will not be able to sustain hourly PS service as they will lose a ton of West Coast traffic to AA, DL and JetBlue. Then PS will pooof away into the sunset.

Another good sUA product that they couldn't wait to throw away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.