Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA958 Jun 12 '15: MX @ ORD, Diverts to YYR for 2nd MX, Pax Housed @ Military Barracks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA958 Jun 12 '15: MX @ ORD, Diverts to YYR for 2nd MX, Pax Housed @ Military Barracks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
It seems that UA still has a bit to learn in terms of Customer service...

The wording of that tweet couldn't have been worse. Using "rest" twice... as if crew "rest" in a hotel is the equivalent to passengers "resting" on the flight home.

Yeah, I'd trade a comfy quiet hotel room for a good "rest" in a coach seat any day!

How can you write something like that and not realize how awful it sounds? I get the idea... that you want a well-rested crew up front for your peace of mind. But that's now how it comes out.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
The wording of that tweet couldn't have been worse. Using "rest" twice... as if crew "rest" in a hotel is the equivalent to passengers "resting" on the flight home.

Yeah, I'd trade a comfy quiet hotel room for a good "rest" in a coach seat any day!

How can you write something like that and not realize how awful it sounds? I get the idea... that you want a well-rested crew up front for your peace of mind. But that's now how it comes out.
they probably pay their social media goons $15/hour, maybe less. to be fair, i got a less than stellar response from AA on a tweet the other day as well. it's a race to the bottom folks. UA leading the charge.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky

+1. I was wondering if I was the only one who hears how incredibly tone deaf UA's PR department is.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
they probably pay their social media goons $15/hour, maybe less. to be fair, i got a less than stellar response from AA on a tweet the other day as well. it's a race to the bottom folks. UA leading the charge.
Nonetheless, social media is public performance, and the individual who sent that tweet is in the wrong job.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
It was a major story on all 3 network newscasts tonight. United continues to hide...

Originally Posted by blueman2
+1. I was wondering if I was the only one who hears how incredibly tone deaf UA's PR department is.
This should be a major point of discussion in the week ahead. Companies on Twitter is simply NOT a good idea.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Nonetheless, social media is public performance, and the individual who sent that tweet is in the wrong job.
It has an overwhelming legal sound to it. I'd bet it wasn't a Twitter expert or $14 an hour kid who did it. A United corporate goon, yes.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:35 pm

Further, this was not just a simple tweet responding to a simple issue from one customer. This was one of the bigger PR nightmares for UA in the past few months. And they allow this type of tweet in response???

Sorry, there is no excuse for this. Even the UA apologists must be at a loss for words in this case.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:36 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Canadian readers have a different perspective.

Canadian readers have a different perspective. Read the comments from this CBC story to see that Canadian readers view the passengers as "spoiled brats."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...upts-1.3113036

The fact is that there are only two small motels in Goose Bay, not enough for everyone (check www.tripadvisor.com). However, there are some b&b, and those pax who wanted to go on their own should have been given the option to do so.

A BIG unanswered question is this: were passengers able to leave the Canadian Air Force base to go in town? Clearly, the crew must have been cleared by Canadian immigration, so at least an immigration officer must have been available. (A quick check shows that there is one on duty at that airport.)

Anyone who was on that flight, could you please tell us if passengers were permitted to leave the base?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
For the moment, let's assume that UAs new FF changes do indicate that they UA actually does care about a select few passengers, at the very top of the HVF list. Shouldn't there have been somebody responsible for monitoring VBTs (Very Bad Things) happening to GS folk? I'd assume there'd be at least a few of them on that flight.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by txp
Canadian readers have a different perspective. Read the comments from this CBC story to see that Canadian readers view the passengers as "spoiled brats."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...upts-1.3113036

The fact is that there are only two small motels in Goose Bay, not enough for everyone (check www.tripadvisor.com). However, there are some b&b, and those pax who wanted to go on their own should have been given the option to do so.

A BIG unanswered question is this: were passengers able to leave the Canadian Air Force base to go in town? Clearly, the crew must have been cleared by Canadian immigration, so at least an immigration officer must have been available. (A quick check shows that there is one on duty at that airport.)

Anyone who was on that flight, could you please tell us if passengers were permitted to leave the base?
This is what I want to know. Were the passengers literally imprisoned on this army base? Or were they free to leave?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
But the same aircraft sat on the ground at EWR then went on to LHR. In cases like this LHR could handle the aircraft.

Very poorly handled by UA. Its crazy this is the same airline that did a fantastic job with the Midway Islands diversion. How
Crew issue maybe? From the articles I've read there seems to have been 3 crews involved, the original, the rescue crew and the final crew that made it to LHR. With current the FA contract, maybe they had an aircraft but no eligible crew that was legal to work it to LHR.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:34 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by physioprof
This is what I want to know. Were the passengers literally imprisoned on this army base? Or were they free to leave?
I found this on another site:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-for-20-hours/

It looks that all passengers were cleared into Canada so that means they were all free to go wherever. However, since they were told that a replacement aircraft would arrive in the morning, somehow nobody thought of going into town on their own. They did not have to get on the school bus after customs. They could have called the local hotels to see if anything was available.

"Yes, we were cleared for entry to Canada via 2 customs agents who were extremely nice after undoubtedly being awaken to clear a 767 at midnight.
Issue was, we never touched the civilian terminal. Old school buses picked us straight up from the aircraft, straight to customs, the back on the same bus to the barracks. originally, we were told a replacement 767 would arrive morning time Saturday for a straight continuation to LHR. Given that, none of us could find better options. Of course, the story changed when the original replacement was grounded for maintenance as well."
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by txp
I found this on another site:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-for-20-hours/

It looks that all passengers were cleared into Canada so that means they were all free to go wherever. However, since they were told that a replacement aircraft would arrive in the morning, somehow nobody thought of going into town on their own. They did not have to get on the school bus after customs. They could have called the local hotels to see if anything was available.

"Yes, we were cleared for entry to Canada via 2 customs agents who were extremely nice after undoubtedly being awaken to clear a 767 at midnight.
Issue was, we never touched the civilian terminal. Old school buses picked us straight up from the aircraft, straight to customs, the back on the same bus to the barracks. originally, we were told a replacement 767 would arrive morning time Saturday for a straight continuation to LHR. Given that, none of us could find better options. Of course, the story changed when the original replacement was grounded for maintenance as well."
Unfortunately this of course meant they all had to clear US immigration again on return to EWR.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by physioprof
And did they have their luggage? Not just carry on, but for those like me who check most items, did they have access?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
John Oliver had a good piece on why Twitter and corporations don't mix.

Edit: How do you just post a link without this fancy window thing???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.