Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club pricing increases [Effective June 11, 2015]

United Club pricing increases [Effective June 11, 2015]

Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA1K
for those in SF...just drop the CC and get Amex Plat for the Centurion Lounge. That lounge is amazing.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I'm guessing, based on my observations, that they applied the old business rule that if you seem to be at a sell-out capacity, start raising prices.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I have the PP card...so hopefully means zero impact to me. Happy if it thins the crowds a bit, TBH.
That already ended last month, so indeed, this new change will have no impact to you.

Unfortunately, this is one time I wished they had copied Delta and made the price increase more significant. This increase is way too small to have an effect on crowding. A seat is the most valuable amenity, and every year that seems to be in scarcer supply.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Unfortunately, this is one time I wished they had copied Delta and made the price increase more significant. This increase is way too small to have an effect on crowding. A seat is the most valuable amenity, and every year that seems to be in scarcer supply.
If you increase the cost without decreasing demand...well, just more money for jeffy
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by PushingTin
Just got the email. So $50 more? I can eat that in soup, scones and cold cuts

As soon as they used the word "investment', I knew the price of admission was going up.

The new tables:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont..._date=20150611

Had breakfast in the PHL club. Yep, that ain't worth $550 a year....
cold cut is salami.
Salami and cheese, not ham and cheese.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Since I left my previous work position, I am not flying much - and when I do, I look around.

As a Million Miller and an Explorer card holder, I get 2 passes - like everyone else. So, if I want to go to a Club - especially during irrops or long lay overs, I use the passes or pay for a day pass if I need it - on whatever airline I am flying.

It works for me!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mzrn
I can't believe I'm writing this, but in United's defense, their recent food upgrades to the club actually make a membership somewhat palatable. With the previous offering of snacks (chex mix, crappy cookies, etc.) AND overcrowded clubs - it was completely insane.

It's still pricey but I could see myself paying it given my frequency of travel.
I think as always United is just looking at this on a spreadsheet, w/o looking at the bigger picture. Big picture, DL gives lounge access to DMs for free, and the lounges are much nicer. As a result flying DL is much, much, much nicer all around. AA? Well its $400 for EXPs, and again nicer clubs. Centurion? Well I have a 100K points offer sitting on my desk, and the card costs $400. United is way out of wack, w/o considering the still very inferior experience.

But the real problem is that having a "club membership" is a tie in. I was a RCC then PC member, and having that was valuable, and it was a + for flying UA. Once I dropped it (due to sucky quality of the clubs, booze, food,etc) well then flying UA (vs. DL/AA/AS/VX) had no advantage. Having a Club membership was a pull factor on taking my business to United.

Why United would want to make that "pull factor" ridiculously expensive is beyond me. Every other airline I know of looks at the clubs as a way to earn/retain business, United just wants to suck a few extra $$$ out of everyone.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Agreed - if they had a good beer like Sweetwater 420 (like DL is now adding complimentary) along with Woodford Reserve, I'd be cool with it.
Having just consumed 10 Woodford reserves on my two DL flights last night (and luckily avoided a hangover) I can ^ That.

Originally Posted by haddon90
for those in SF...just drop the CC and get Amex Plat for the Centurion Lounge. That lounge is amazing.
And cheaper than the "JeffyClub" I have (and love) my *wood Amex, but they don't do it in PLT (boo, hiss) and once the Centurion Lounge Opens in Seattle I may consider it, it also works for DL lounges when on a DL ticket.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The Centurion lounges are far better than the United clubs, its night and day.

The club card is worth it for me for the 1.5/$ since I spend a ton on the card, but if I had another card that had a competitive earning rate, I'd use that.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I'm guessing, based on my observations, that they applied the old business rule that if you seem to be at a sell-out capacity, start raising prices.
It is exactly this simple. If membership decreases and lounges are less full, as people that are cheering this change expect, UA will simply lower the price a little next year.

They're trying to find that point on the graph where the price and capacity cross so that they're getting the highest price possible on the highest number of memberships possible.

As I wrote earlier, if the clubs aren't full, that's an undesirable outcome for UA. Maybe they adjust the price or maybe they decrease the price on one-day passes. But they don't want the number of people in clubs to decrease.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Just that more of the domestic UA Clubs need to be designed more like LHR - with nice private restrooms, showers, etc.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by entropy
The Centurion lounges are far better than the United clubs, its night and day.

The club card is worth it for me for the 1.5/$ since I spend a ton on the card, but if I had another card that had a competitive earning rate, I'd use that.
Had the club card for a couple of years (first year free). In the end, the 1.5x wasn't all that useful since most of my spend is in 2x or 3x categories on my CSP or UA Select Visas.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
If you run it like a cattle car, then you fill it shoulder with cattle! Sooo glad I left UA...another reason!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
Too bad that they don't offer 3-year or 5-year memberships any more. Wish they would.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:33 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
No spousal discount, another change we will like.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by demkr
Also, there's really little excuse for the SFO club near the 80s gates not being remodeled. It's the worst hub lounge in the system.
I will happily take that lounge over ANY of the three at EWR my friend

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.