Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of Flying Lufthansa vs. United [2015 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2015, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA1K_no_more
Thanks to member mre5765 for starting and maintaining this wikipost in the older thread.

General

LH has more wifi in its long haul fleet than UA.

LH Y vs UA Y

LH has free booze. And better booze than UA.

UA has E+. LH has true premium economy (separate booking class at a premium)

LH J vs UA J

All LH J seats have now been upgraded. However the window seats on 747-8i and all middle pairs of seats are arranged so that the feet of adjacent pax converge toward each other. Both UA J seats have a barrier that prevents kneeing, and the foot rests are well separated to prevent playing footsie.

Some people assert service and food in LH J is better, some say UA J is better, and others say there is no difference or that it varies flight to flight. LH J serves food on trays, but there are linens on the tray table and on the tray itself.

The trend at LH is that as it invests more in hard premium product, the soft aspects slip, because the hard product is an inflexible cost whereas the soft aspects are highly flexible.

The booze on LH J is better than UA J.

The IFE selections on UA are better than LH.

The amenity kit on UA J beats the LH J amenity kit.

LH F vs UA F

All LH planes with F now have the new F seat (748, 388, 346, 333). Ground services on LH F are better: the first class lounge, first class terminal (UA does not have one), and the tarmac limo service to your plane (UA only as this for GS and GF pax who have tight connections).

Standards in the FCT/FCL are slipping. A year or two ago one could expect limitless, whole macadamias and high end chocolates. Gone.

The new LH F seat is superior to the new UA F seat. However, the F cabin in the 747-8i is much more cramped than any GF cabin. Indeed, the 747-8i F cabin is more cramped than the upper deck of the 747-8i J cabin.

Another plus for LH is often the F cabins are sparsely filled, whereas, due to UA's employee contracts, unsold seats will invariably go to non rev employees.

The service and food on LH F is vastly superior to UA F. However standards are slipping. A year or two ago, an F pax was offered as many of the different appetizers as he wanted, and a second round of caviar. These offers are gone.

The booze on LH F is vastly superior to UA F.

The IFE selections on UA are better than LH.

The amenity kit on UA F beats the LH F amenity kit.

Overall, FT consensus in the UA and M&M forums is LH F is a better choice regardless of new F, old F, or gauge.

Overall

LH F > GF > BF > LH J > LH Y+ > UA E+ > LH Y > UA E-

Earlier threads
LH vs UA, which is better?

Best flight choice UA/LH TATL in business
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

Just booked a P fare from SFO to MUC for next month, as part of UA's sale.

The nonstop SFO-MUC on LH A340 is available but it lands just after 5 PM so I opted for some earlier flights.

Either connect through ORD, IAD or LAX (for the LAX-MUC nonstop).

Choices were UA 767, a A330 or the LH A340 for LAX-MUC.

I opted for SFO-LAX-MUC. The routings through ORD and IAD are a bit shorter but the TATL segment is only 8-9 hours, which seems short to really take advantage of the lie flats.

Generally the consensus here seems to be that LH has better business product than UA?

Is this a valid assumption or should I look to change the routing to one of the UA flights for the TATL segment?

On the way back, I aimed for the one that would arrive the earliest. The MUC-SFO segment was not available at a P fare so I chose MUC-IAD-SFO. MUC-IAD is UA105, a 767.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Yes LH has a better J Product than UA.

HOWEVER LH still operates some of it's old J product that is NOT a true flat bed.
Watch out for the aircrafts that still have the older style seats.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Yes LH has a better J Product than UA.

HOWEVER LH still operates some of it's old J product that is NOT a true flat bed.
Watch out for the aircrafts that still have the older style seats.
I'd be careful making this statement. New LH business isn't always easy to find depending on the route.

The LAX-MUC nonstop on LH doesn't feature the new J. You won't even get lie flat seats.

ORD-MUC on LH does feature the new J (usually). 2 out of the 3 days I spot checked, it was available.

My vote would be UA. It's not as good as new LH J, but it's consistent, you know what you're getting, and you don't have to sweat that you'll end up in a 165 degree barco lounger.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hmm, it's UA8853 or LH453 and Seatguru indicates 165 or 170 degree angled seats. Comparing with LH seat map, it appears to be rows 3-15 so the 170 degree configuration.

So mainly can't sleep on side?

I checked the dates again but now the fares have gone up or I have to book dates a day further out.

Hotel reservation would be slightly higher to change the dates by a day ...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Didn't LH just assert a few days ago that all flights in and out of MUC would now have the new C? Or was that just new F?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hmm, when I do a query on this page, its suppose to have the latest business class:

http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Business-Class-Product

Code:
LUFTHANSA
LH 453
17:05 Time
13:35 Time
Los Angeles (LAX)
Munich (MUC)
The latest Business Class facilities are available on this flight.
They indicate here that they're gradually upgrading their business class:

Travel in Lufthansa Business Class and arrive rested at your destination. Relax before your departure in the Lufthansa Business Lounge and enjoy excellent service on board. The new Lufthansa Business Class seat* transforms into an almost 2-metre-long, fully flat bed – ideal if you wish to relax during a long flight. The open-design of the cabin, the seat configuration and the colour scheme in subtle, natural shades all help to create a feeling of spaciousness.

* Seats are being fitted gradually until 2015.
http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Lufth...ng-haul-routes

So feeling a bit more relieved ...

Oh well just called to reserve a seat and they said it is NOT upgraded.

Oh boy ...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 10, 2015 at 5:21 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Which TATL segment to MUC?

Why not connect through IAH?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Muerz
Why not connect through IAH?
OP is connecting thru IAH. 105 goes MUC - IAH OP just made a little typo.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: UA Premier iK, Accor Platinum
I find the IAH-MUC-IAH fllights very comfortable on the 764. J is 2-1-2 and the single center seats are great for solo travelers. The planes look new, have good entertainment and I have always had good service.

I am on IAH-MUC on Monday connecting to PRG.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Last year, there was a higher mileage bonus for P fares on UA metal, so I would have suggested UA metal.

This year, the mileage is the same so long as it's an 016 ticket, so go for the best product you can on the ticket -- either LH new business, LX business, or even AC. UA would be towards the bottom of my list.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
Originally Posted by grahatd
I find the IAH-MUC-IAH fllights very comfortable on the 764. J is 2-1-2 and the single center seats are great for solo travelers. The planes look new, have good entertainment and I have always had good service.
+1. I fly alone so I get the center seat. And the flight is between 11 - 13 hours, so you get to "enjoy" the flight.

I've always had excellent crew on this flight.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Well LH phone rep said it wasn't updated despite what the web page says.

So I switched it on the UA site but the next best choice was to go SFO-IAD-MUC.

There were a lot of other LH flights from ORD, BOS and IAD but since it's not clear what you'll get, I opted for UA 767. Return is MUC-IAH-SFO.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: United 1K
Lufthansa Business or United Global First: NYC to Istanbul

Hi There, I've seen some old threads on this topic, but circumstances have changes slightly as I understand it. My Fiancee & I are flying from NYC to Istanbul, then connecting to a domestic flight to Dalaman. We're currently booked on the following:
Lufthansa Business:
JFK-FRA: A380
6 hour layover in Frankfurt (5am-11am)

Turkish Airlines
FRA-IST: A330: Business
Alternatively, I can book us on United Global First from EWR-BRU on a 777, spend 4 hours is Brussels, then connect to Istanbul on a 737-900 in business. We'd make the same domestic flight in IST, arriving at our final destination at the same time.

Which flight do you recommend? I've been excited to fly on an A380 for the first time, and also Lufthansa for the first time. However, United GF seems to be a better seat than Lufthansa. What are your thoughts on these two options, also considering the lounge experience we'll have in either Frankfurt or Brussels. (we're both United Platinum) *the mileage difference is $20k total, negligible in my opinion.

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Are there GF/F lounges in both BRU and FRA that are open (versus Business/Senator) lounges?

Had this been a new booking, I wonder if you'd still have a 20K difference - as Saver Awards on partners was the same pricing as UA flights up till recently.

I kind of prefer the Brussels routing, since you're not landing at 5 am, I assume.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
LH all the way, connects you to a proper widebody which should be flat bed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.