FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Discussion of Flying Lufthansa vs. United [2015 onward] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1686079-discussion-flying-lufthansa-vs-united-2015-onward.html)

UA1K_no_more Oct 3, 2017 10:55 am

FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides

Thanks to member mre5765 for starting and maintaining this wikipost in the older thread.

General

LH has more wifi in its long haul fleet than UA.

LH Y vs UA Y

LH has free booze. And better booze than UA.

UA has E+. LH has true premium economy (separate booking class at a premium)

LH J vs UA J

All LH J seats have now been upgraded. However the window seats on 747-8i and all middle pairs of seats are arranged so that the feet of adjacent pax converge toward each other. Both UA J seats have a barrier that prevents kneeing, and the foot rests are well separated to prevent playing footsie.

Some people assert service and food in LH J is better, some say UA J is better, and others say there is no difference or that it varies flight to flight. LH J serves food on trays, but there are linens on the tray table and on the tray itself.

The trend at LH is that as it invests more in hard premium product, the soft aspects slip, because the hard product is an inflexible cost whereas the soft aspects are highly flexible.

The booze on LH J is better than UA J.

The IFE selections on UA are better than LH.

The amenity kit on UA J beats the LH J amenity kit.

LH F vs UA F

All LH planes with F now have the new F seat (748, 388, 346, 333). Ground services on LH F are better: the first class lounge, first class terminal (UA does not have one), and the tarmac limo service to your plane (UA only as this for GS and GF pax who have tight connections).

Standards in the FCT/FCL are slipping. A year or two ago one could expect limitless, whole macadamias and high end chocolates. Gone.

The new LH F seat is superior to the new UA F seat. However, the F cabin in the 747-8i is much more cramped than any GF cabin. Indeed, the 747-8i F cabin is more cramped than the upper deck of the 747-8i J cabin.

Another plus for LH is often the F cabins are sparsely filled, whereas, due to UA's employee contracts, unsold seats will invariably go to non rev employees.

The service and food on LH F is vastly superior to UA F. However standards are slipping. A year or two ago, an F pax was offered as many of the different appetizers as he wanted, and a second round of caviar. These offers are gone.

The booze on LH F is vastly superior to UA F.

The IFE selections on UA are better than LH.

The amenity kit on UA F beats the LH F amenity kit.

Overall, FT consensus in the UA and M&M forums is LH F is a better choice regardless of new F, old F, or gauge.

Overall

LH F > GF > BF > LH J > LH Y+ > UA E+ > LH Y > UA E-

Earlier threads
LH vs UA, which is better?

Best flight choice UA/LH TATL in business