Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of Flying Lufthansa vs. United [2015 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2015, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA1K_no_more
Thanks to member mre5765 for starting and maintaining this wikipost in the older thread.

General

LH has more wifi in its long haul fleet than UA.

LH Y vs UA Y

LH has free booze. And better booze than UA.

UA has E+. LH has true premium economy (separate booking class at a premium)

LH J vs UA J

All LH J seats have now been upgraded. However the window seats on 747-8i and all middle pairs of seats are arranged so that the feet of adjacent pax converge toward each other. Both UA J seats have a barrier that prevents kneeing, and the foot rests are well separated to prevent playing footsie.

Some people assert service and food in LH J is better, some say UA J is better, and others say there is no difference or that it varies flight to flight. LH J serves food on trays, but there are linens on the tray table and on the tray itself.

The trend at LH is that as it invests more in hard premium product, the soft aspects slip, because the hard product is an inflexible cost whereas the soft aspects are highly flexible.

The booze on LH J is better than UA J.

The IFE selections on UA are better than LH.

The amenity kit on UA J beats the LH J amenity kit.

LH F vs UA F

All LH planes with F now have the new F seat (748, 388, 346, 333). Ground services on LH F are better: the first class lounge, first class terminal (UA does not have one), and the tarmac limo service to your plane (UA only as this for GS and GF pax who have tight connections).

Standards in the FCT/FCL are slipping. A year or two ago one could expect limitless, whole macadamias and high end chocolates. Gone.

The new LH F seat is superior to the new UA F seat. However, the F cabin in the 747-8i is much more cramped than any GF cabin. Indeed, the 747-8i F cabin is more cramped than the upper deck of the 747-8i J cabin.

Another plus for LH is often the F cabins are sparsely filled, whereas, due to UA's employee contracts, unsold seats will invariably go to non rev employees.

The service and food on LH F is vastly superior to UA F. However standards are slipping. A year or two ago, an F pax was offered as many of the different appetizers as he wanted, and a second round of caviar. These offers are gone.

The booze on LH F is vastly superior to UA F.

The IFE selections on UA are better than LH.

The amenity kit on UA F beats the LH F amenity kit.

Overall, FT consensus in the UA and M&M forums is LH F is a better choice regardless of new F, old F, or gauge.

Overall

LH F > GF > BF > LH J > LH Y+ > UA E+ > LH Y > UA E-

Earlier threads
LH vs UA, which is better?

Best flight choice UA/LH TATL in business
Print Wikipost

Discussion of Flying Lufthansa vs. United [2015 onward]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by sannmann
Go for it. Checking out the LH First Class Terminal would make it entirely worth the experience. LH First is a great experience.
Thanks...almost ready to pull the trigger but feel a bit bad about DH
Old May 21, 2016, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by oblisk
Interesting, I was in line to board MIA-ZRH on LX and the couple behind me had UA*P on their boarding pass distinctly different to my UA*G. I was debating if they were platinum and/or if LX was pre-prepping for a 3rd *A tier (a la Oneworld). Maybe LX just codes your actual UA status level on their boarding passes.
*P is a weird thing that LX does from time to time ... it has no special meaning.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: MP
Easy!

Lufthansa
Old May 22, 2016, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic
Thanks...almost ready to pull the trigger but feel a bit bad about DH
Seems like a no-brainer considering the length of your layover.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:01 am

Thumbs up Thanks guys!

Thanks kthpence, sannmann, guitarjim! Pulled the trigger, looking forward to my rubber ducky. Will tell DH that I'm doing research on BA vs. LH

[ Before flames on BA not being in the same league - we are fairly rich in BA miles, easy to acquire, 2x1 certs, have always had great experience, good availability]
Old May 23, 2016, 5:06 am

Thanks kthpence, sannmann, guitarjim! Pulled the trigger, looking forward to my rubber ducky. Will tell DH that I'm doing research on BA vs. LH

[ Before flames on BA not being in the same league - we are fairly rich in BA miles, easy to acquire, 2x1 certs, have always had great experience, good availability]
I think your LH F experience will blow away your BA F experience, but YMMV
Old May 23, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by kthpence
I think your LH F experience will blow away your BA F experience, but YMMV
The less dense F cabin will surely provide a superior hard product.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:11 am

I know it's YMMV, but I can pay $100 change fee and shift from UA F to LH F FRA to IAD next Saturday. I'm traveling alone, so not sure that the additional 30k miles is worth it (yes, YMMV). I read the wiki, and thinking maybe not worth it. Either way I will have about 4.5 to 5 hour layover in FRA. The posts that I've seen advocating LH were before the devaluation.

It would be a no brainer if it weren't for the extra miles, and the fact that I'm alone vs with DH. Advice?
The LH F lounge at FRA is fantastic. Probably the best lounge I've ever been in.

Clearly everyone has different utility curves for miles vs. experiences. I view 30K miles as a lot of currency and if I could choose between spending an extra 30K to get a different variant of F or saving the 30K to upgrade or make a future trip, I'd opt for the future trip.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by FlyWorld
The LH F lounge at FRA is fantastic. Probably the best lounge I've ever been in.

Clearly everyone has different utility curves for miles vs. experiences. I view 30K miles as a lot of currency and if I could choose between spending an extra 30K to get a different variant of F or saving the 30K to upgrade or make a future trip, I'd opt for the future trip.
Instant buyer's remorse. I needed your common sense on Saturday!!

Then again, life is short. If I have the miles, burn 'em and find another option for another trip.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Instant buyer's remorse. I needed your common sense on Saturday!!

Then again, life is short. If I have the miles, burn 'em and find another option for another trip.
No. You made the right choice. If you haven't experienced the LH First Class lounge/FCT before, it's totally worth it by itself.

Lufthansa's in-air experience so completely surpasses United's it's remarkable. I'm just thinking now of fresh spatzle and Frankenwein. Mmmm! Believe me: you won't miss the screw-top bottle crap they serve on United. Oh, and that's not even to speak of being treated decently (vs. being treated like dirt on United)....
Old May 23, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love the German Bagels.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:47 pm

Indeed. For a flight that is only slightly longer than a transcon ... I wouldn't do it, but YMMV

Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Business Choices

I have business class awards for the wife and me next week to Rome but other choices look available. Can I get some input as to the options?

Existing (mixed) 57.5k miles:
SAN-DEN-ORD-FCO all on United with DEN-ORD in Y and unlikely to clear. All times and layovers are good. The tatl is UA 777-200

Option 1 70k miles:
SAN-LAX-FRA-FCO only SAN-LAX on United, the rest on Lufthansa. The tatl is LH a380. There is a 3 hr layover in LAX and only a 1 hr layover in FRA.

Option 2 (mixed) 57.5k miles:
SAN-IAD-MUC-FCO only the MUC-FCO on LH (Y), other legs on UA. The tatl is UA 777-200. There is a 3 hr layover in IAD.

Option 1 would use another 25k miles between us.
Worth it? Leave as is?
TIA

Last edited by hiyo; Jun 26, 2016 at 12:35 pm
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by hiyo
I have business class awards for the wife and me next week to Rome but other choices look available. Can I get some input as to the options?

Existing (mixed) 57.5k miles:
SAN-DEN-ORD-FCO all on United with DEN-ORD in Y and unlikely to clear. All times and layovers are good. The tatl is UA 777-200

Option 1 70k miles:
SAN-LAX-FRA-FCO only SAN-LAX on United, the rest on Lufthansa. The tatl is LH a380. There is a 3 hr layover in LAX and only a 1 hr layover in FRA.

Option 2 (mixed) 57.5k miles:
SAN-IAD-MUC-FCO only the MUC-FCO on LH (Y), other legs on UA. The tatl is UA 777-200. There is a 3 hr layover in IAD.

Option 1 would use another 25k miles between us.
Worth it? Leave as is?
TIA
The longest flight on non-UA business class is a no brainier for me / take the LH flights if you actually want to enjoy the trip and arrive on time / if you enjoy panic and worry then choose UA.....
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Do you have to pay a change fee?

I guess you choose between DeN-ORD or MUC-FCO in Y.

I think business class in europe is not that big a deal. Then again DEN-ORD must be 3 hours so it may not be a big deal either?

The longer TATL lets you enjoy it more. The TATL out of IAD or ORD may only be 8-9 hours while the one out of LAX would be 10-11 hours?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.