Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diet Coke a Weapon?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 1:48 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by jimmc66
Perhaps the story would be better if it was "flight attendant insulted by muslim woman for insisting a Coke opened by a non-Muslim is somehow unclean".
I don't see any indication that the religion of the FA had anything to do with it. She may have simply not wanted someone else's finger to touch the top of the can, regardless of their religion.

Originally Posted by kettle1
We are talking about a can of soda pop?

CNN loves stories like this.
No, we are talking about racially insensitive comments. The underlying issue is not important.

Originally Posted by Baze
But it is not United. It is Shuttle America flying under contract as United Express. So United unfairly get the blame.
It's not unfair at all. United is contracting with Shuttle America to fly planes on their behalf. This service is marketed under the United brand. The company whose brand is being used is responsible for the service. This is similar to McDonald's being responsible for how their franchisees run their restaurants. United could specify standards in their contract about this type of thing if they wanted to.
Old May 31, 2015, 3:14 am

FWIW, I usually get unopened cans when I ask for just a can of soda (no ice no cup), including on UA. I store them, unopened, in the seat pocket until I want to drink it. If I have extra when leaving, then that's more liquids for afterwards, which is good.

On weaponry: a hard-sided water bottle (among many other perfectly legal things) would be a better weapon than a soda can, at least as a bludgeon. I find it hard to imagine using one as an IED that would cause more than damage than a stain, but maybe someone more creative than I can show otherwise.

I'd like to know whether there is any actual policy about this. I'd guess the only real policy is that they open things so that you don't intentionally get extra to take with you because that would cost them more than just giving you free drinks on the flight. (Basically, the "all you can eat buffet" rule of "no takeouts".)
Old May 31, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: DL,EK
I flew FRA-SFO yesterday and without asking for the can, was given an unopened can of Coke twice during the flight... along with a plastic cup of ice. The two german ladies sitting next to me also received unopened cans of drinks. This was on a 100% full 747.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by Baze
This more a case of a United partner operating under the United Express name gave United a black eye. The FA in question is not even a United employee but because they are flying under contract as United Express people think it is United. United needs to penalize Shuttle America for this incident. This was not a United FA.
+1

At a minimum I hope this causes UA to rethink its current trend of outsourcing to subcontractors. These.subs are representing the brand and UA has little control over how the brand is represented.

I expect more stories like this as more outstations are being outsourced.
Old May 31, 2015, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
What is wrong with this airline? It's in the news every friggin week!
Old May 31, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by milepig
Wouldn't your cell phone in a sock accomplish much the same thing? Where's the TSA when we need them?
If that's the issue...sorry, A passenger can buy unopened cans after security and bring them on a plane with no problem....maybe UA has a general policy of opening cans as sometimes a can can get shaken up and spray around. But I can't see any reason for REFUSING to give someone an unopened can...I can recall several times that I've purchased a drink in a can from a vendor where I've felt it prudent to wipe the top of the can before opening....big deal. If a passenger has a religious reason, a cleanliness fetish, or whatever; they should be able to do it....period. And for those that didn't read the article carefully, the man next to her was given an unopened can of beer. There's little doubt in my mind that for some reason, the FA had a thing about this woman, even saying that SHE could use it as a weapon, rather than saying that SOMEONE could use it as a weapon.

And this wasn't just anyone everyday muslim. This was a woman that was a Muslim chaplain and director of interfaith engagement at Northwestern University, was born India but grew up in the US, had worked to promote engagement between Israeli and Palestinian youth, and had sparked outrage among Islamic conservatives when she became the first woman to recite the Quran at the Islamic Society of North America convention.

United should issue a prompt and public apology and take concrete steps with their employees and with UnitedEX carriers that wear the UA uniform to prevent acts like this from happening again.

The guy across the aisle? A jerk, but it's too bad that other passengers and UA didn't upbraid him for his comments.
Old May 31, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by hughw
If that's the issue...sorry, A passenger can buy unopened cans after security and bring them on a plane with no problem.....
Many airports do not sell canned drinks beyond security. But of course you could buy a solid heavy bottle of whisky instead
Old May 31, 2015, 7:53 am

And I feel sorry for the employees working for United Continental Holdings and the UX carriers working under the brand United Airlines.
I feel sorry for a lot of people in the world, but shedding a tear for a dumb f/a that made an a$$ out of herself, and by her own admission needs to work on her attitude towards her customers, isn't one of them.

Before I retired, the company that I worked for would fire you in a N.Y. minute if you brought any (I mean ANY) discredit or embarrassment to them. I.e. - Front page CNN story about not giving a can of soda to a passenger, especially a Muslim, that paid for her ticket and only wanted something that everyone else could have. If this employee is that stupid, all of the "cover your a$$" excuses ain't gonna mean much when "UNITED AIRLINES causes a Muslim woman to cry because she can't have a soda can weapon on a flight" is flashing in your face on cnn.com on a Sunday morning.

This story will be played out, probably for years, because she has some major pol clout in D.C, where ironically she was headed, and she's gonna use it.

Again, BOTTOM LINE --- as Base has indicated over and over, it's a subed-out UA company and their employee that made this into a major issue. UA has the power to put their foot down on these wanna-bee BIG airline f/a's that make them look terrible on a weekly basis, as of late, and have caused them mucho bad ink, over and over.

EXAMPLE TIME for other employees to observe --- Immediate "Pink Slips" for "Stupid, Slip of the Tongue" remarks to customers!!!
Old May 31, 2015, 7:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jimmc66

Perhaps the story would be better if it was "flight attendant insulted by muslim woman for insisting a Coke opened by a non-Muslim is somehow unclean".
Yours would be a fabricated story, for there is no claim by any of the involved parties that the FA's religion had anything to do with it.

As Muslim bigotry against Muslims of the same or other ethnicities/denominations/practices exists too, how do you know the FA wasn't Muslim? Either way, the religion of the FA doesn't matter, as the offended passenger was offended regardless of the FA's religion (if any).

The FA denying an unopened can to one passenger while giving a near-equally-heavy unopened can to a neighboring passenger and claiming it's being done because the can is more of a weapon when used by the female passenger than when used by the male passenger is a sign that the FA is nuts, bigoted or, more likely, both nutty and bigoted.

Perhaps the FA will be canned over the can practice. I wouldn't want the FA caned, Singapore-style, over a can; but if the employer cans the FA, I'm not sure why it should bother me.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 31, 2015 at 8:06 am
Old May 31, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Diet Coke a Weapon?

It's not just the express Employees, I've seen this crap plenty on mainline with both PMUA and PMCO crews.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Diet coke is a weapon but mainly harms the person consuming the numerous chemicals it contains.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by isaifan
That's why I love this community, so many unique ideas, deep knowledge base, and the ability to consists others points of view.

My summary from reading the replies is this: United probably has a policy about opening cans of soda, but not alcohol. Probably from the carbonation, but maybe something else. The FA just made up some rule, about it being used as a weapon. Probably got caught in trying to do her job and quickly as possible and loading the human touch.
My initial thought on the soda vs. beer discrepancy was that UA/partners only gives a full soda on request (since it's free), and therefore FAs are trained to open and pour, while beer is paid for on a per-can basis and the passenger is entitled to the entire can regardless.

There's also the possibility that UA doesn't like giving out unopened cans of carbonated beverages (especially dark) since it would be the FAs who have to deal with the complaints of an aisle and window pax when the middle pax gets the unopened can, drops it, then promptly opens it, spewing soda everywhere.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:40 am

I almost always get unopened drinks, so this is definitely a FA making things up
Old May 31, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
It's not unfair at all. United is contracting with Shuttle America to fly planes on their behalf. This service is marketed under the United brand. The company whose brand is being used is responsible for the service. This is similar to McDonald's being responsible for how their franchisees run their restaurants. United could specify standards in their contract about this type of thing if they wanted to.
^

People blame "United" when contracted United baggage handlers (Skywest, Simplicity, etc.) misload a bag.

People blame "United" when a Skywest-employed gate agent is rude.

People should then blame "United" for rude flight attendants on "United" flights.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UNITED AIRLINES is painted on the side of the plane.
Hmm, I don't see that on UAX, could you link to a photo of that?

As for the other carriers UA (and any other carrier) sells tickets for partners - you know what airline you are flying by looking on the side of the plane.
So many obvious failings of this "logic", from alliance liveries to retro liveries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.