Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diet Coke a Weapon?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As I think about the reported incident, I've been surprised that a chaplain who appears to be an interfaith leader and who has a very good job at Northwestern would react this way:

First, to fail to attempt to objectively examine the evidence before claiming discrimination in any form. This can fan the flames of hatred, the opposite of what someone in an interfaith university position should do. I would have expected her response to whatever happened to have been more measured and not as quick.

Secondly, to cry or to admit/claim that she had been crying over the incident. Again, this seems to contradict her supposed role as an example and mentor for students.

Third, if she has reported the incident inaccurately or tried to use it for publicity, this could have negative repercussions for her job--not that she would be fired, but the impact could be to limit her advancement at her current institution or her mobility to be recruited for other equivalent or better positions. This could also diminish her prospects for invitations to speak at similar conferences in the future.
I had the exact same take. It would be incredibly stupid for someone in a very public place, with lots of witnesses, to simply make up something like this. What is the motivation? I tend to not think smart people (and she has to be reasonable smart to be where she is) make up stupid things. Prevolked they may, but the story being pushed is it was a plan to make up a story, that makes little sense to me.

Regardless, I don't care what actually happened, I think UAs response, to charges that can (and my guess is are) doing them damage was not carefully thoughtout in following the typical "not our fault" UA playbook.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm surprised that Shuttle Ameerica doesn't have rules one way or another about how soda is to be served and what options FAs have in this.

However, to me it would be polite hospitality for a FA to open a soda can before handing it to a passenger. This also has the practical effect of minimizing the chances of it being shaken and then going everywhere when it's opened, including onto aircraft upholstery and other passengers' clothing. The FAs probably have more experience in how to safely open cans of coke wiithout making a mess.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by ComeFlyWithMe33
If UAInsider wants to contact me I will verify that I was on the flight. The FA was very nice to all passengers (Even this lady) before and after this happened. Numerous people around me told the FA that they would let the airline know what happened to protect her job so I am hoping that they have reached out to UA.
I've seen this before: lots of people say they will let the airline/police/justice dept know and then nobody does. It happened to me once when a car hit me. If you're not BSing, you have an absolute obligation to do contact UA -- not wait for UA insider....
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by spin88
I had the exact same take. It would be incredibly stupid for someone in a very public place, with lots of witnesses, to simply make up something like this. What is the motivation?
<Bolding Mine>

Rage. Revenge for a perceived slight.

Have you ever wondered what makes smart people with good jobs go temporarily insane when they are cut off in traffic? To lose everything you have worked for in your life in a moment of road rage makes absolutely no sense either.

Bizarre, insane behaviors are committed by very intelligent and successful people all the time, usually in a moment of rage.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If UAInsider wants to contact me I will verify that I was on the flight. The FA was very nice to all passengers (Even this lady) before and after this happened. Numerous people around me told the FA that they would let the airline know what happened to protect her job so I am hoping that they have reached out to UA.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. It is nice to hear another side of the story. And disregard those basically calling you out on this, you know if you are telling the truth or not. But please, contact UA Insider and let them know you have a different story to tell. Please don't wait to be contacted. The truth needs to come out and I hope it comes out publicly. Just ned to find any post by UA Inside click on their handle and select send private message. Or under your handle where it says Welcome near the top of the page click on Private Message, when the screen comes up select send message on the left side. It is all private so we won't see it. But please do contact them. I know people don't like to get involved but if it could prevent a FA from being needlessly fired or disciplined or just being publicly shamed it is worth it.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:17 pm

I'm surprised that Shuttle Ameerica doesn't have rules one way or another about how soda is to be served and what options FAs have in this.
Seems they leave it up to the FA:

"There is policy and procedure for the beverage service, and there is no differentiation between opened and unopened cans," he said.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by zombietooth
When one is actively seeking media attention, motives and veracity should be suspect, at the least.

An anonymous poster, especially a first-timer, has very little motive to lie, and could have just as easily confirmed the aggrieved's story.
If only it were always that simple, but it just ain't.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta, United, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Normal people are wisely loath to talk to the media where their identities may not be secure, and no matter what a reporter tells you, you will be outed. I speak from experience.

Telling the truth can be very risky in today's hyper-politicized world.
I totally agree, zombietooth. I would personally be afraid in this circumstance of attracting attention from people who wish me harm. But I would, because it is important.

By the way, this is my third post. I haven't posted since 2009. And I check at least one of these forums every day. I don't find it surprising at all that a new poster would sign up to tell us what he heard. Lots of lurkers here.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA, HH & Marriott
She ordered a coke zero and a hot green tea with a Splenda. The flight attendant handed her a full diet coke with a cup on top and then told her that the green tea would take a few minutes and she would get it to her ASAP.
Sorry for the OT question, but does SA really serve hot green tea? I thought UA (and presumably the UAX as well) only serve black tea in Lipton tea bags. This is another inconsistency I've noticed in your story (along with the Coke Zero vice Diet Coke and no mention of FA opening a beer can after being confronted)...
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K
From what I remember the man next to her was served a beer which was opened by the FA. A lady across the aisle ordered a beverage with booze (looked to be a vodka cranberry) and she was given two cups (one ice and one with the cranberry) and no can. The only people getting cans were people who requested, at the end of the service the FA came around filling up cups from the opened/non-full cans or who bought beers. The lady who is claiming discrimination ordered a green tea and the diet beverage. I am not sure if they carry that or not.

Last edited by ComeFlyWithMe33; Jun 1, 2015 at 4:06 pm Reason: added comment
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by GUWonder
How do you know it is the correct part of the story?
You must have missed the part where the poster he quoted said he was on the flight.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 3, 2015 at 3:05 pm Reason: discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Their spokesman did explain the policy to CNN. See this post I made earlier today.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:03 pm

Media inquiry

Hey ComeFlyWithMe33,

I am a member of the media and would like to get the story straight about what happened on the flight. Please let me know if you would be willing to talk about what happened... We want to get to the bottom of this.
Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K
I am not associated with the FA at all. I had meetings all day in Chicago and was just flying home to DC. This lady was obnoxious to say the least. I am sorry if those on this board would like to discredit what happened but this lady just screamed discrimination when she did not get her way.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:29 pm
Suspended

I am not associated with the FA at all. I had meetings all day in Chicago and was just flying home to DC. This lady was obnoxious to say the least. I am sorry if those on this board would like to discredit what happened but this lady just screamed discrimination when she did not get her way.
Thank you for telling us the truth. I can usually sympathize with a passenger, especially when there is video evidence. This story however smelled fishy from the beginning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.