Diet Coke a Weapon?

Old Jun 1, 15, 11:32 am
  #211  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 635
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Really? On mainline or UAX? I've been on ~30 UAX flights this year and have not been given a full can once. I am a scholar of Islamic history. But there is no way a flight attendant would know that from appearances.
I flew last week and got the entire can on my outbound trip, without asking. Everybody in my row did. They were all opened and poured into the plastic cups as well.

I did not get the entire can on the return.

Maybe you sit too close to the front?

At the front of the plane, they dont want to give the cans and risk running out. By the time theyre near the back, they know how much they have left.
jamesinclair is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 11:35 am
  #212  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Posts: 10,775
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I flew last week and got the entire can on my outbound trip, without asking. Everybody in my row did. They were all opened and poured into the plastic cups as well.

I did not get the entire can on the return.

Maybe you sit too close to the front?

At the front of the plane, they dont want to give the cans and risk running out. By the time theyre near the back, they know how much they have left.
I've been in the bulkhead row and when I ask for the full can I usually don't get denied, sometimes it is opened and first glass poured sometimes I get a cup of ice and the closed can. There really is no consistency in this. But either way is fine, I don't care. And on the rare times I don't get the full can right away they say they need to see how many other people want that and usually they come back and give me a can. This is on both Mainline and Express.
Baze is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 11:48 am
  #213  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 416
Originally Posted by cbn42
I think there were two major problems in this incident:

1. the tendency of FAs to blame security/terrorism issues for airline policies. Of course she couldn't say "we can't give you an unopened can because you might take it off the plane without drinking it, and that would cost the airline money" so she just said something about security, because no one is going to argue about secuirty policies mid-flight.

2. people's reluctance to say anything on a plane. If this incident had happened anywhere else, other passengers would have defended the woman against this man's remarks. However, on a plane, no one wants to escalate anything, because the slightest incident can get the plane diverted and people arrested. Therefore, people just sat quietly.

The above is the best post of the thread.

UA has plenty of faults, but they certainly are equal opportunity in treating all customers terribly. IMO, this has nothing to do with race, UA just treats everyone bad. Sometimes people are just a......s, sometimes "sh*t rolls downhill". It is actually pretty amazing that in all the UA bad press incidents the last two years, this actually is the one that gets traction.


Isn't it also likely a factor that the mans beer was a paid item and hers was free? If someone pays for a beer, you can't give him 2 ounces, can you?

Last edited by elusive1; Jun 1, 15 at 12:03 pm
elusive1 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 11:54 am
  #214  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 6km East of EPAYE
Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,582
The last time i was denied a whole can of soda is was on CO express and I asked for a Mr. pibb and only two had been loaded. The FA was worried she wouldn't have enough to go around. Other then that I have never been denied a request for a full can, and am frequently given a unopened can along with a cup of ice without even asking for it.

Saying a can of soda can be used as a weapon is ridiculous. "You could probably beat a guy to death with the Sunday New York Times couldnt you?" - George Carlin
Madone59 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 12:32 pm
  #215  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by tom911
Here's what the Shuttle America (Republic Airways) spokesman told CNN this morning:


http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/30/us/uni...ain/index.html

Also ran across this:


http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/0...1165727825.htm
Apparently this person has a history of making complaints on twitter about poor treatment of Muslims. She complained that people were staring at her and talking about her at a movie theatre.
gophergold is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 12:39 pm
  #216  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SEA/YVR/BLI
Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 9,420
Originally Posted by Madone59
Other then that I have never been denied a request for a full can, and am frequently given a unopened can along with a cup of ice without even asking for it.
Repeating my earlier suggestion (but I'm not the only one being repetitive in this thread ), I gather there was also another dynamic at play here. The FA opened a can and handed it to the passenger (or was about to hand it to the passenger) or placed it on her tray, immediately after which the passenger asked for (demanded?) an unopened can.

Saying a can of soda can be used as a weapon is ridiculous. "You could probably beat a guy to death with the Sunday New York Times couldnt you?" - George Carlin
Yes, and FAs are equal-opportunity users of that branch of the security theater mantra. I'd suggest that some women's purses would make much better weapons than coke cans when swung, but that would probably make me sexist.
Fredd is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 12:52 pm
  #217  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Midwest
Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM
Posts: 118
This went sideways when the FA came up with a silly and frankly, not defensible excuse for not offering an un-opened can. Heck, a few years ago on a domestic flight, traveling in coach, I was offered an unopened full size wine bottle from First as a gift from United to take with me. Agree with some others that "security reasons" or "federal regulations" are a kind of default response to requests that the FA doesn't want to grant but the correct explanation puts the airline or the FA in a bad light, or the FA just can't remember what the better answer is. Could probably do a whole thread on that topic alone: "Crew response to request for x: Real reason was y".


Originally Posted by tom911
Here's what the Shuttle America (Republic Airways) spokesman told CNN this morning:


http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/30/us/uni...ain/index.html

Bob Birge, spokesman for Shuttle America's parent company, Republic Airways Holdings, said Monday that Republic beverage policy doesn't prohibit serving unopened cans to passengers.

"There is policy and procedure for the beverage service, and there is no differentiation between opened and unopened cans," he said. "When a passenger requests a full can of soda, it must first be determined that enough quantity exists to provide beverage service throughout the cabin. I don't believe that was the case here, as the passenger was offered a full can of soda."



Sounds reasonable, and the better response from the FA is suggested by the policy: "I'm so sorry, but I only have a small number of cans left, if I get to the back and still have an unopened one left over I'll bring it to you."

That answer would have put it back on the passenger, who isn't going to get much sympathy from anyone for insisting that they get two full cans of a comped item before the rest of the cabin has had a chance at one. This assumes there is a policy or rule that keeps the FA from taking an opened catering item off a passenger tray and serving it to the next row.

Any others who can shed light on the carriers can policy for the complimentary portion of the domestic beverage service for mainline and other express operators? I am guessing that in general, none of the airlines are writing policies that encourage the FAs to give away as much free stuff as they "can."

As for me, on a good chunk of my shorter 50 seater flights, I'm lucky to get a full beverage service at all, a lot of times we get offered water and pepsi in cups, no ice, on a hand carried tray, sometimes just water. I don't usually ask for the can, but sometimes it is offered up, opened, and if I do ask for the can, I usually get it, or at least a refill later. The exception is alcohol, which is usually not opened, sometimes though they will ask if I want it poured for me.
BlackMountain is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 12:57 pm
  #218  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ORD
Posts: 827
Originally Posted by gophergold
Apparently this person has a history of making complaints on twitter about poor treatment of Muslims. She complained that people were staring at her and talking about her at a movie theatre.
Maybe she is discriminated more often than someone from another religion. Isn't that the whole point? So I don't see anything wrong with this so called "history".
leonidas is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 1:07 pm
  #219  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, NYC, somewhere on planet Earth
Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 8,289
Originally Posted by fastair
(I just edited my previous post to include a possible reason). People want reasons. Sometimes they ask for them, sometimes the question is implied by tone or body language, and sometimes the person just gives them unprompted. When I announce acdrlay, I don't wait for questions, I try to explain why, to the best of my abilities. It's common courtesy. Whether or not the reason given is a legit one or one made up to appear knowledgeable, I don't know, that's a different issue, one that has been brought up in numerous threads over the years.
When I was a kid, the most common word out of my mouth was "why?" Most humans like to have a rational reason, sometimes they're given one.
In light of Shuttle America's response re: unopened cans and lack of security risk as a rationale for not opening, this FA does not even have her bosses supporting what she said to the Chaplain. Nothing worse than giving in illegitimate reason, especially if you are going to invoke it as a security measure, or imply a passenger can use it as a weapon. I am sure you would not use this in your course of discussion with passengers and the FA should not have invoked it.
neuron is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 1:12 pm
  #220  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,645
Originally Posted by BlackMountain
This went sideways when the FA came up with a silly and frankly, not defensible excuse for not offering an un-opened can. Heck, a few years ago on a domestic flight, traveling in coach, I was offered an unopened full size wine bottle from First as a gift from United to take with me. Agree with some others that "security reasons" or "federal regulations" are a kind of default response to requests that the FA doesn't want to grant but the correct explanation puts the airline or the FA in a bad light, or the FA just can't remember what the better answer is. Could probably do a whole thread on that topic alone: "Crew response to request for x: Real reason was y".
...
I think there are two layers here.

The first layer is what you correctly summarized: Crazy psychotic FAs who scream "FAA regulations" about everything even if it has nothing to do with FAA regulations. This is very common at United Continental and is not a new issue nor does it have anything to do with being Muslim. I'm pretty sure we could take a poll and find that people of all religious and ethnic backgrounds have been screamed at by psychotic FAs to comply with non-existent FAA regulations.

But, in my gut, I do question whether the "you will turn the can of coke into a weapon" comment is a comment that is equally distributed across religious and ethnic backgrounds. I've not before heard about FAs claiming weaponization of coke cans as an excuse for refusing to serve a passenger, and the fact that it happened to someone who was wearing the head scarf may be coincidental or may be indicative of bigotry. I think that's a valid question.

Of greater importance: If, in fact, weaponization of coke cans is a legitimate national security concern, then I think they should be banned fully. Just like we have to take off our shoes because of one single incident of attempted shoe bombing. Just like we can't bring liquids past TSA because of one single incident of creating liquid explosives.

We need some clarity here.

Either coke cans are weaponizable or they aren't. If they are, then I say ban them just like everything else that's been banned.
FlyWorld is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 1:49 pm
  #221  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,778
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
I think there are two layers here.

Of greater importance: If, in fact, weaponization of coke cans is a legitimate national security concern, then I think they should be banned fully. Just like we have to take off our shoes because of one single incident of attempted shoe bombing. Just like we can't bring liquids past TSA because of one single incident of creating liquid explosives.

We need some clarity here.
And we should not be allowed to wear underwear while airborne.
erik123 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 1:57 pm
  #222  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K
Posts: 16
This lady is not telling the truth

I was actually on this flight on Friday evening from ORD to DCA. I have been a reader of this forum for a long time but seeing this all over the news made me sign up so I could tell you what really happened here and hopefully stop this liar in her tracks. I was sitting close enough to her to hear everything that was said. The flight attendant came up to the lady (I believe she even took her order first in the entire cabin as she was seated in the bulkhead 7d) and took her order. She ordered a coke zero and a hot green tea with a Splenda. The flight attendant handed her a full diet coke with a cup on top and then told her that the green tea would take a few minutes and she would get it to her ASAP. The lady said very rudely and condescending to the FA that she ordered a coke zero and basically pushed the soda back to the flight attendant. The FA said she was sorry and attempted to find a coke zero for her (which she did not have many of) and told her that she could only give her a portion of the can not the full can. This is when the lady in question started to freak out and told the FA "What do you think I will use this as a weapon?! Why can't I have the whole can? I think you are discriminating against me. I need your name...." The lady just kept yelling to her "I need your name... I am being discriminated against." This is when a few passengers told her to calm down and one guy told her to "shut her mouth and she is being ridiculous over a can of coke". No one ever said anything anti-Muslim to her at all. She was the one who started screaming discrimination when she did not get what she wanted. The FA asked her numerous times if she would like anything else when the lady just basically pushed her away with a hand in her face. The lady then got onto her phone with her credit card and paid for the internet so she could start spinning this story on social media and she was never in tears. This person is a liar plain and simple and is just pulling the discrimination card.

Last edited by ComeFlyWithMe33; Jun 1, 15 at 3:06 pm Reason: spelling
ComeFlyWithMe33 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 2:06 pm
  #223  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SEA/YVR/BLI
Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 9,420
Originally Posted by ComeFlyWithMe33
I was actually on this flight on Friday evening from ORD to DCA.
Welcome to FT.
Fredd is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 2:08 pm
  #224  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Programs: UA, HH & Marriott
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by ComeFlyWithMe33
I was actually on this flight on Friday evening from ORD to DCA. I have been a reader of this forum for a long time but seeing this all over the news made me sign up so I could tell you what really happened here and hopefully stop this liar in her tracks. I was sitting close enough to her to hear everything that was said. The flight attendant came up to the lady (I believe she even took her order first in the entire cabin as she was seated in the bulkhead 8d) and took her order. She ordered a coke zero and a hot green tea with a Splenda. The flight attendant handed her a full diet coke with a cup on top and then told her that the green tea would take a few minutes and she would get it to her ASAP. The lady said very rudely and condescending to the FA that she ordered a coke zero and basically pushed the soda back to the flight attendant. The FA said she was sorry and attempted to find a coke zero for her (which she did not have many of) and told her that she could only give her a portion of the can not the full can. This is when the lady in question started to freak out and told the FA "What do you think I will use this as a weapon?! Why can't I have the whole can? I think you are discriminating against me. I need your name...." The lady just kept yelling to her "I need your name... I am being discriminated against." This is when a few passengers told her to calm down and one guy told her to "shut her mouth and she is being ridiculous over a can of coke". No one ever said anything anti-Muslim to her at all. She was the one who started screaming discrimination when she did not get what she wanted. The FA asked her numerous times if she would like anything else when the lady just basically pushed her away with a hand in her face. The lady then got onto her phone with her credit card and paid for the internet so she could start spinning this story on social media and she was never in tears. This person is a liar plain and simple and is just pulling the discrimination card.
"Welcome" to FT on your first post (as a lurker as you say)! Thanks for providing your eyewitness account.

What about the FA opening up a can of beer to a fellow passenger after this subject passenger pointed it out? Did that even occur, too?

And are you sure she ordered a Coke Zero and not a Diet Coke? To some people, there's a big difference between the two and I thought I read that she'd ordered a Diet Coke.

Not that these two details are significant, but noticed these as inconsistent (though they shouldn't be).
F23Coupe is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 2:14 pm
  #225  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 101,099
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I think that is flat out ridiculous. Just because it happened to a Muslim does not make it xenophobia. The mere fact that the passenger plays the Muslim card means nothing to me without any facts to support it.
Maybe it means nothing to you because you don't want it to mean anything you, but the evidence here is that it must mean something to you given this discussion and the sensitivity to people discussing xenophobia directed at Muslims.

There is nothing flat out ridiculous about the fact that the discussion is about xenophobia and not just a can of Coke, as the female Muslim UA passenger felt she was the target of xenophobia on board this UA flight the FA and/or passenger on the UA flight. Whether or not the offended passenger's sentiment are ridiculous or not, there is plenty of reason to think that Muslim passengers on board UA flights are sometimes the target of xenophobic crew members or passengers when there is now an American epidemic of Islamophobic bigotry directed at Muslims such that things which are considered acceptable to say about Muslims wouldn't be allowed if directed at some other ethnic minorities. Eventually one of these kinds of incidents would raise its ugly head and actually take place -- even if one or more of these kind of incidents were more tall tale than accurate first person report.

Most Islamophobic flight-related incidents on UA rarely get any media coverage, including the times when "brown" Muslim spouses of White House staffers get flagged by xenophobic FAs and then, after deplaning at destination, get intercepted for questioning about their religion once they are off the plane and heading home from IAD or DCA. And then when investigated, it becomes clear that they were flagged by cabin crew for mundane things like going to the bathroom for "too long" or "too many times".

Do you know if any cabin crew have been provided government, airline or related contractor training that mentions terrorists or FAs wanting unopened cans of soda to use as a weapon on board flights? Discovery could be interesting.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 1, 15 at 2:20 pm
GUWonder is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread