Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diet Coke a Weapon?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by spin88

And I seriously doubt that anyone getting on a *A (or a SkyTEAM, etc) livery plane thinks they are on anything but the operating carrier (e.g. UA or DL), and will hold them accountable. Similarly, I think that probably 95% of people if they are flying on a UA ticket on LH or ANA will think LH or ANA is responsible, unless its an issue caused by UA.

Get awful enough and even people who don't fly much will figure out the difference between mainline and 'Satan's regional airline' (aka pre-merger Atlantic Southeast). And then book the mainline option every chance they get going forward.

ExpressJet really was smart to finally dump the Atlantic Southeast name a few years back because it actually did take non-frequent flyers a while to figure out that parts of that evil remain.

I do wonder if some of the ExpressJet employees who are problems under United paint jobs are the old pmASA folks so many of us Delta folks came to know and hate.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
This is nothing but a war of bad attitudes.

The picky picky passenger with a bad attitude demanding an unopened can

The annoyed FA with the bad attitude calling her on her BS.

Why is she picky and has a bad attitude for having a certain standard of hygiene? Just because it is not your standard.

Come on....
Old May 31, 2015, 8:53 pm

This happened on United.

What would have happened if it was on Air France?
Old May 31, 2015, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by markraby
I think this story is overblown, but what really irritates me is seeing all the people who give United a complete pass on anything that happens with United Express.
99 percent of Shuttle America's customers have no idea Shuttle America exists.

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
UA is once again in the public line of fire for something that a subcontractor did wrong. Perhaps UA will one day learn to take responsibility for the flights they market and sell, but judging by the "We are also discussing the matter that Ms. Ahmad describes with Shuttle America, our regional partner that operated the flight." quote by the UA spokesperson, they are trying to push the blame onto Shuttle America.
Shameful and weasel-ish, but standard. When UA wants the world to think it flies to a bunch of second-tier cities, the regionals are part of one big United network. When the regionals screw up, United suddenly never heard of them.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 31, 2015 at 9:42 pm Reason: removed response to deleted quote
Old May 31, 2015, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Lead story at ABC Chicago news just now. Maybe reported above but the person is a Chaplain at Northwestern, who said the FA said things like "no coke for you". The video was mostly shots of UA mainline planes.

The typically horrific local reporting left one with the impression that she was uniquely denied an unopened can since she was a Muslim and therefore a terrorism threat.

This can't end well. Will UA step up, get the FA fired regardless of who she actually works for and firmly say "this is not representative of our company and we are publically embarrassed??" My guess is not.

Last edited by milepig; May 31, 2015 at 9:21 pm
Old May 31, 2015, 9:09 pm

My guess as to what happened? The passenger asked for the slight favor of getting the whole can of soda. The FA served it to her open, after which it can no longer be served to anyone else. The passenger then pulled her little "cleanliness" drama and demanded a second whole can, and the FA was exasperated and fed her the story.
This is nothing but a war of bad attitudes.

The picky picky passenger with a bad attitude demanding an unopened can

The annoyed FA with the bad attitude calling her on her BS.
(Bolding is mine.)

Originally Posted by Baze
Maybe I missed it but I don't remember reading any posts discrediting the passenger.
See above.
Old May 31, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by milepig
Lead story at ABC Chicago news just now. Maybe reported above but the person is a Chaplain at Northwestern, who said the FA said things like "no coke for you". The video was mostly shots of UA mainline planes.
BINGO. Another UA PR screw up. MAJOR SCREW UP. Again!

You would think or "thunk" better if the operation (UA) was still based in "The Lone Star State". What a shame UA has turned into. CO and UA were once great airlines.

The BOD needs to remove top management or get a new PR firm to spin things in the right direction. UA management think - they did not "thunk" it out.
Old May 31, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by Baze
Maybe I missed it but I don't remember reading any posts discrediting the passenger.
There has been a lot of discussion about the person crying racism, there has been a lot of talk about the passenger over reacting etc. There has been a lot of talk about how it isn't really United, and how the FA probably said this or that.

I've seen amazing things with my own eyes with this airline.
Old May 31, 2015, 9:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moderator Note again
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is a number of ways this thread can go. Discussion of what is and is not a religious observance is not an UA topic and best for other forums. As the UA forum we should stick to UA related topics -- UA's policies, the FA's alleged actions, .... deviation into non-UA related things or into OMNI like geo-political / religious discussions will be unwelcomed and will lead to deletions or closure.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
There have many multiple comments / attacks / ... concerning other posters -- you know the rules -- Discuss the issue but not the other posters. Understandable there are strong opinions / frustrations with this issue but it contributes zero to the discussion to attack the other posters. Such attacks are clearly against the rules and have been deleted. Continued attacks will be dealt with by the Moderators.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerators
Old May 31, 2015, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I think there were two major problems in this incident:

1. the tendency of FAs to blame security/terrorism issues for airline policies. Of course she couldn't say "we can't give you an unopened can because you might take it off the plane without drinking it, and that would cost the airline money" so she just said something about security, because no one is going to argue about secuirty policies mid-flight.

2. people's reluctance to say anything on a plane. If this incident had happened anywhere else, other passengers would have defended the woman against this man's remarks. However, on a plane, no one wants to escalate anything, because the slightest incident can get the plane diverted and people arrested. Therefore, people just sat quietly.
Old May 31, 2015, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by tom911

From the CNN article:

"I have not received a written sincere apology for the pain and hurt I experienced as a result of the discrimination and hateful words towards me," she wrote. "This is not about a can of soda."
Really"? It's not about the soda? I thought it was all about the soda.

I haven't seen any indication of hateful words from the FA.

It sounds like the FA was a lunatic, just like a lot of FAs on United Continental aircraft. Most, in fact.

If I had $1,000 for each message posted on FT describing near-psychotic behavior by United Continental FA's, I could almost retire by now.

OK. So, assuming the statements by the "victim" are true, the FA is nuts. Big deal. Anyone who flies on United Continental should expect that. This is why, since the takeover, I have a firm policy of keeping my head down and not saying a word to them. One can never know when a psychotic FA will go nuts and force a diversion to have a passenger arrested these days. Even the slightest thing, or non-thing, can cause it.

But nothing previously stated about the behavior of the FA was hateful. Where did that come from?
Old May 31, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
It sounds like the FA was a lunatic, just like a lot of FAs on United Continental aircraft. Most, in fact.

OK. So, assuming the statements by the "victim" are true, the FA is nuts. Big deal. Anyone who flies on United Continental should expect that.
While I don't agree with "most" since UA many wonderful caring FAs left, many of whom will tell you they're as frustrated as we are by insane policies, it's increasingly clear to me that the airline grew too fast and has inept management who have lost control.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
So, assuming the statements by the "victim" are true, the FA is nuts. Big deal. Anyone who flies on United Continental should expect that. This is why, since the takeover, I have a firm policy of keeping my head down and not saying a word to them. One can never know when a psychotic FA will go nuts and force a diversion to have a passenger arrested these days. Even the slightest thing, or non-thing, can cause it.
I am afraid to say I have the same policy, and not only on UA. As for how all this morphed into "hate speech," clearly a bunch of different constituencies in our culture have a vested interest in capitalizing on "hate speech."
Old May 31, 2015, 10:35 pm

Has even one passenger come forward to corroborate the woman's story? In this social media day and age where people live to broadcast even the tiniest controversy (bare feet on bulkhead), surely a man yelling horribly bigoted things at a woman in a confined & crowded space would warrant SOMEONE coming forward.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hedur
Has even one passenger come forward to corroborate the woman's story? In this social media day and age where people live to broadcast even the tiniest controversy (bare feet on bulkhead), surely a man yelling horribly bigoted things at a woman in a confined & crowded space would warrant SOMEONE coming forward.
That's exactly what I have been waiting for. I'm not suggesting the woman is lying. I'm just looking for more context, particularly around the comment from the other passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.