Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award booking/travel experiences for Jet Airways (9W)

Award booking/travel experiences for Jet Airways (9W)

Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:46 pm

aacharya,

Business saver often becomes available in last 24hrs. Till then what is the best method to hold the spot on that flight is the question. Taking partner route as placeholder (Lufthansa Business Saver seems quite easily available) is one option. Another is to hold standard award ticket (140K miles RT) and hope for Business Saver to open up. If it does not, few hrs prior to departure, I might consider cancelling award ticket and just buy revenue economy ticket).

Originally Posted by aacharya
Read OP again.

OP mentioned Business not being around until that timepoint, and then mentioned regular Saver. If he meant Standard, then the paragraphs are totally not contextual to one another.

OP - never book Standard if that's what your intent was.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rkabra101
aacharya,

Business saver often becomes available in last 24hrs. Till then what is the best method to hold the spot on that flight is the question. Taking partner route as placeholder (Lufthansa Business Saver seems quite easily available) is one option. Another is to hold standard award ticket (140K miles RT) and hope for Business Saver to open up. If it does not, few hrs prior to departure, I might consider cancelling award ticket and just buy revenue economy ticket).
Take my advice. There is no advantage to you booking standard at all. However the concept of booking LH saver and wait listing UA makes sense.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
J availability on EWR-BOM/DEL is extremely challenging and if you look far out, there are rarely more than 5 - 7 days with J availability to BOM/DEL on *A (TK is very hard to find, LH is the easiest, NH is also a possibility).

For Y, it's not even worth redeeming miles as fares are very reasonable for the distant flown. Buy a revenue ticket on a nice airline like TK or EY and be done with it. For J, I hope you find the availability.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:38 am

rankourabu: Can you clarify on Jet booking. Do we need to call United or Jet for this? Where do you check for Business Saver availability on Jet before calling. This seems like an interesting option.

Originally Posted by aacharya
Take my advice. There is no advantage to you booking standard at all. However the concept of booking LH saver and wait listing UA makes sense.
aacharya: I now understand your logic of not wasting miles on standard awards.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 15, 2013 at 8:09 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by rkabra101
rankourabu: Can you clarify on Jet booking. Do we need to call United or Jet for this? Where do you check for Business Saver availability on Jet before calling. This seems like an interesting option.

aacharya: I now understand your logic of not wasting miles on standard awards.
I dont have any personal experience, but check this out

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-service.html
Old May 31, 2013, 12:52 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Is there something special you have ask to get the Jet seats. UA can't see any seats on any of the flights that I asked.

I called up AA and they are seeing plenty of seats on the same flights. What is going on?
Old May 31, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
I gave up. I booked biz class seats on Swiss Air. Short hop from London, then 8+ hours up front.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
has anyone redeemed miles on jet airways?

I apologize if this has been answered before.

Has anybody redeemed ua miles on jet airways flights. I tried atleast 20 flights 5 and 11 months out. Ua agents told me there is no availability on any of those. Aa however, sees at least 2 seats available on all of them.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
same situation here - called in couple of times, had reservations created and put on hold until 9W can "approve". None actually turned into a ticket.

So has anyone been able to do it ever?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Question Jet Airways (9W) flight dropped from ticketed UA award reservation - what to do?

Folks, I am new the nuisances of UA MP international award travel using partners. In Jan. I ticketed award seats from the US to India. The last segment from DEL to CCU was on Jet Airways (9W). Now, the 9W flight is completely gone from the reservation when I log onto my UA account.

I called the MP desk and they said 9W unconfirmed the flight about 2.5 weeks ago. 9W still flies the route with a different flight number but no award seats all on the route for that day. MP agent didn't know what to do and hung up on me trying to transfer.

Across at AA Adv there is a liaison desk that sorts this out and puts you in revenue seats if you are a ticketed passenger even if it is on award travel.

How does this work on the UA side? Who do I ask for to get this sorted out, what is the process, etc?

-miles
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
I have a reward ticket to KTM in a few weeks that I booked in March. I was supposed to return through BOM, and was supposed to be on 9W from KTM to BOM. However, while there appeared to be reward seats available, they wouldn't ticket (9W kept rejecting them). The agent told me to call back every few weeks until they did release them. I called for a couple months, both the 1K desk and the partner desk, until I got an agent who finally said 9W was no longer a part of the program, even though the seats appeared available every time I called. By this time, a better routing became available, so it didn't matter in the end. I would call to confirm whether 9W is still participating or not.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Booking 9W on UA is an absolute nightmare. I'm sorry for your experience but I've been going through something similar. I had one great UA agent spend over 2 hours with 9W to get them to open up award seats that she saw. She is truly an exception to the rule.

As the previous poster mentions I would call 9W and find out if they have award space available first (you can't really check online). Also, be flexible and creative on routing (direct may not always work) and then call back UA to get the seat requested and confirmed. Even though the agent says it can take up to 24 hours it normally can be confirmed (or denied) in minutes.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Ive given up trying to get award seat on 9w, there are so few success stories with it - it wasnt worth my time. I just did an open jaw and bought one way ticket I needed.
remember 9w is not part of *A they have some side deal with UA, and if you go to 9w forum - people there count their blessings when they manage to get an award flight.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA ticketed you to CCU. Insist UA get you to CCU.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by mduell
UA ticketed you to CCU. Insist UA get you to CCU.
Yeah, this is worth following up on. I've had other partner flights drop and United has been good about putting them back. One way or another it's their obligation here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.