Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
nope same chaos at 6am at C3 precheck..2/25/16 got to airport 530am for 7am flight and barely made my flight with precheck.

first it started with guy at airtrain who handed me a cart and put all my luggage on it then said give him a tip more than $6 cause the cart was $6 .. he was wearing a jacket but cant remember the color, now they are allowing people to work as these "porters" and force a tip?? i didnt have any cash and i said no thanks and he took my stuff off and left..
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I know EWR is hit and miss messy, and the pre-check is something between "room for improvement" and "hot mess", but I've seen DEN just as bad. Someone without pre-check almost needs to get in line the night before their flight to not risk missing it.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by naumank
I traveled to EWR in the past for connections and I don't recall this kind of chaos. This reminds of LAX which is absolutely the worst managed airport in the nation. I experienced this kind of chaos at LAX before but never at EWR.

Has EWR really gone down to this level?
Have you been through MSP in the last two weeks or so? The lines stretch the length of the terminal, blocking access and even preventing passengers from seeing the signs for the elite and PreCheck lines, which sometimes have been reported to be almost as bad as the regular lines. The mess have been consistency reported in the local news, with the airport now telling everyone to arrive at least two hours early for ordinary domestic flights. There's no end in sight!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Over a year ago, I was flying through EWR Terminal C almost weekly basis and with Pre-Check, it never took me more than 5 minutes. This is during Monday morning rush. I guess things must have really changed now.

And I while I'm not a fan of TSA I don't think private security will fare better. I've had a couple of bad experience at SFO as well, and they use private security
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by naumank
Yes, it was C-3. They limited C-2 to wheel chairs only.
This is what's driving me crazy. C-2 as a whole is usually empty, but Air-Serv is limiting it to wheelchairs only.

I asked the TSA supervisor there, and he said that C-2 is open to anyone, but Air-Serv seems to be either making their own rules or following some ridiculous directive.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zerolife
And I while I'm not a fan of TSA I don't think private security will fare better. I've had a couple of bad experience at SFO as well, and they use private security
At SFO, with three pre stations at peak hours, there's no reason to ever wait more than ten minutes to clear security. If T3 is backed up, international G will be empty, and vice-verse.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I asked the TSA supervisor there, and he said that C-2 is open to anyone, but Air-Serv seems to be either making their own rules or following some ridiculous directive.
this really needs to be addressed, IMO, with repeated emails to UA from pretty much everyone
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
I thankfully haven't stepped foot in Terminal C in over 2 years - but I always recall the security lines being unacceptable dating back to the CO days.

It's just a bad system: 3 massive lines going into 3 piers with only 4-5 TSA staff on staff at a time with those useless blue coat public workers bullying pax around.

It's MUCH MUCH better in Terminal B with DL. They have a brand new security area and seem to get people through rather quickly - even when the AMS & CDG flights leave.

Sidenote: Ever notice when you go outside of Terminal C to get a cab there is a public worker attendant that has to arrange the cab for you and negotiates the fare? EWR is so grease-ball - makes me ashamed of the state I grew up in.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
This is what's driving me crazy. C-2 as a whole is usually empty, but Air-Serv is limiting it to wheelchairs only.

If C2 is open to anyone and it's just a contractor without any real authority making up their own rules, why not just push your way past them and go to the ID checker? Sounds like everyone should start doing this. Restricting an entire checkpoint to wheelchairs is lunacy - one line? Maybe. But an entire checkpoint??

Private screeners will be held accountable to the PA, but the PA is more of a criminal mafia than most of the 'families' that control northern NJ...so I wouldn't expect much from them.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If C2 is open to anyone and it's just a contractor without any real authority making up their own rules, why not just push your way past them and go to the ID checker?
I normally do push past them when they restrict the upper levels...they usually yell and stalk you for a bit then go away

But going into a 'closed' off line is a bit iffy for me. What's stopping anyone from entering the premier line in that case? I'm sure the TSA wouldn't care, but who knows
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
OP I avoid EWR when I can. The service there tends to be super rude at check-in. Agents always give me attitude and than TSA is where the nightmare starts. Premier access is an disaster, the way the airport was designed is an disaster, the food is horrible, the lounges are filled with people, and they are constantly changing things left & right.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i lol'd.

not to make this devolve into another p.s. thread, but it never took more than 10 minutes to step off the airtrain, get through security and up to the gate or the UC once "full blown" pre check was opened at JFK T7.
Glad to hear this. I gave up on JFK many years ago.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by eajusa
Glad to hear this. I gave up on JFK many years ago.
Unfortunately that only applies to T7.

The rest of JFK is a wild west of unpredictable security wait times.

No personal experience with JetBlue, but Delta T4, AA T8, and international T1 are all too unpredictable to be acceptable.

As noted, only LGA seems predictably reasonable.

Will be curious to hear who is the first to play C2 hardball, or whether coming in from the upstairs really is an exception to avoid the line.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
I flew out of EWR on Thursday and had not seen such madness in my many years of frequent flying. I had Premier Access and TSA Pre and opted to just go for the Economy line, as it was the quickest (still about 40 min). They shut down C2 and it should be noted that C3 literally had one lane open for ALL of the UA Economy passengers. TSA needs to get their act together. And those blue coats – never in my life have I seen so many passengers get into verbal shouting matches with airport employees. The blue coats are clueless and people are noticing.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
I experienced the lines to get in other lines craziness at C3 a few weeks ago as well, truly a nightmare. And C2 being reserved for wheelchairs. So thankful that it's not my home airport anymore!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.