FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Will Never be a World-Class Airline Until They Get Rid of CRJs on Major Routes. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1682764-ua-will-never-world-class-airline-until-they-get-rid-crjs-major-routes.html)

LarkSFO Jun 8, 2015 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 24935922)
I would argue that UA will never be a leading airlines that customers will choose to fly if customers have to take care themselves when something goes wrong. For example, my PEK-ORD flight was delayed for more than one hour at PEK last Saturday. The connection time at ORD was less than 1 hour (International to Domestic MCT is 90 min). No protection was offered. For my segment (ORD-IAD), the delay were lengthened by an increment of 15 min. My connection time at IAD were down to 20 min when boarding started. Still no protection flight was offered. I chose not to call UA Premier Line because the blocked time for the ORD-IAD was 2 hours (for < 600 miles). If UA offered me a direct flight (ORD-ORF), I would have taken it although I would arrive at home one hour later than my connection flights. Another point one can argue is the dismayed operation. For my latest trip, the on-time percentage is 20% (even I doubled the DOT 15 min requirement). Four of five flights arrived 30 min or longer behind the scheduled arrival time.

Is this a post about RJ's? You kind of lost me...

Where was your latest trip (with 20% OT) in to and out of on what dates? What was the source of the long delays?

bocasierra Jun 8, 2015 2:05 pm

Looks like Reno to SFO is upgrading, at least until end of September. The midweek daily schedule shows:

Current
- 4 x CRJ200
- 2 x CRJ400

July - September
- 2 x mix of CRJ200 or CRJ700
- 2 x mix 737-800 or Airbus 319

I haven't flown anything bigger than an RJ on UA on this route in years.

LASUA1K Jun 8, 2015 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by bocasierra (Post 24938406)
Looks like Reno to SFO is upgrading, at least until end of September. The midweek daily schedule shows:

Current
- 4 x CRJ200
- 2 x CRJ400

July - September
- 2 x mix of CRJ200 or CRJ700
- 2 x mix 737-800 or Airbus 319

I haven't flown anything bigger than an RJ on UA on this route in years.

I miss the 757 on that route. Take off in the evening was an absolute joy!!

Cargojon Jun 8, 2015 5:36 pm

I've noticed my CVG-EWR evening flight gets upgraded to a E170 soon. good stuff.

wtigerFF Jun 10, 2015 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by spin88 (Post 24930802)
I am curious what type of plane it was? I have mostly flown DL in F, but the few times in Y (757, 767, 738/9, A320 ex NW) I have found the seats to be good, much better than the slim lines on the UA Airbuses which are IMHE the worst seat I have ever had the displeasure of sitting on a mainline plane). I find the Recaro (UA) seats to be far far worse than anything I have ever sat in, they are just the pits.

Ok. This is really annoying. I have boarding passes, a receipt, reservation/ticket confirmation, and an itinerary printed by a DL kiosk. Nothing lists the type of a/c. When I checked the past weekend, flightaware only went back 4 months and that flight number is no longer for BOS-DTW but when it was, it was either a B738 (Sat 2/7), A319 or A319L. 2/12 was the last day it was BOS-DTW

If someone else is more motivated or wants to call DL directly to see if they can get the info, it was DL 1583 BOS-DTW on Sat Jan 17.

u600213 Jul 1, 2015 8:57 pm

In looking at the flight status for my flight today on a United Express/Skywest CRJ200 I noticed that united.com has been mis-stating the seat width to be 18.5 inches:

Aircraft:

Bombardier CRJ200
Capacity: 50 United EconomyŽ
Cruise Speed: 520 mph
Propulsion: Two General Electric CF34-3B1 turbofan engines, rated at 8,729 pounds of thrust each
Wingspan: 69 feet, 7 inches

Seating:

United EconomyŽ: 2-2 seating layout. Most seats have a 18.5 inch width and 31 inches of pitch.

Mandalorian Sep 12, 2015 12:59 pm

These types of things almost always come to down to the debate of more frequency with smaller aircraft or less with larger. I personally prefer more frequency. If a CRJ is doing a route, it can't possibly be that long. My time is more valuable than being marginally more comfortable on a 1.5hr flight.

I'd rather be home than staying overnight somewhere or waiting out a 6hr layover.

That being said: I loathe CRJ-100/200s. Canadian Torture Tubes. CRJ 700-900 isn't much better. Sure there's a small amount of F, but I wouldn't pay for it out of pocket and I'm not too high on the upgrade list.

E-Jets seem to be the best. In my opinion they're more comfortable than a 737/A320 at least for Y.

E-145s are marginally better than CRJ-200. At least the A seat is a single.

LarkSFO Sep 12, 2015 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mandalorian (Post 25415181)
If a CRJ is doing a route, it can't possibly be that long. My time is more valuable than being marginally more comfortable on a 1.5hr flight.

If 1.5 hours was the longest CRJ flight, then I thing most people would agree with you.

However...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lights-rj.html

Mandalorian Sep 12, 2015 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 25415809)
If 1.5 hours was the longest CRJ flight, then I thing most people would agree with you.

However...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lights-rj.html

I was using that number as the average.