FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Youngest Global Services Member? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1682503-youngest-global-services-member.html)

Gabrca May 25, 15 6:18 am

Youngest Global Services Member?
 
Hi All-

This is a question of curiosity more than anything, but I was reading a thread a while back about someone who worked in Supply Chain for big tech gaining Global Services status at 23 years old due to frequent trans-pac trips.

Was wondering what the youngest GS member you've encountered was (or it could be you)? And what sort of job/lifestyle nets you that status. I'm assuming consulting may be a big one on this...

:D

porciuscato May 25, 15 7:20 am

When I hit Million Miler status later this year, either my 9-year old or my 12-year old (I haven't decided which yet) will become GS via the companion benefit.

Will Dearborn May 25, 15 8:02 am


Originally Posted by Acrbag (Post 24865549)
Was wondering what the youngest GS member you've encountered was (or it could be you)? And what sort of job/lifestyle nets you that status. I'm assuming consulting may be a big one on this...

Mid-20s

Defense contracting.

RandomBaritone May 25, 15 9:45 am


Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 24865729)
When I hit Million Miler status later this year, either my 9-year old or my 12-year old (I haven't decided which yet) will become GS via the companion benefit.

I don't follow: do you mean you're hitting four million?

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx

If so, bravo. If just one million, wouldn't the companion benefit only extend Gold status?

zambonisk May 25, 15 9:47 am

2 years ago, my son, who was 3 at the time was my designated MM companion for a year since my wife was already a 1k and only traveled with me and was 90% of the time in a paid premium cabin. Also my son was doing twice a month trips to Chicago, often with one of his grandparents (no status) so it made a lot of sense.

Have a picture of him in the ORD IFL with a bunch of the ORD GS staff holding is BP saying GS, they love him and still let us bring him in the IFL when he travels with us internationally (wife is now the GS MM companion.)

UA_Flyer May 25, 15 9:56 am

I gifted my companion GS benefit to my son when he was 12.


Originally Posted by Eric Westby (Post 24866188)
I don't follow: do you mean you're hitting four million?

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx

If so, bravo. If just one million, wouldn't the companion benefit only extend Gold status?

One can be MM (lifetime) and GS (current year) at the same time. In this case, a MM flyer who also qualifies as GS will be able to gift his/her GS status to a designated person.

Kacee May 25, 15 10:57 am


Originally Posted by Eric Westby (Post 24866188)
I don't follow: do you mean you're hitting four million?

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx

If so, bravo. If just one million, wouldn't the companion benefit only extend Gold status?

Gift of current status to one other person is a MM perk.

The lifetime Gold is a separate perk.

UAGLOBAL May 25, 15 11:17 am

Don't think so

lost*in*cyberspace May 25, 15 11:29 am


Originally Posted by UAGLOBAL (Post 24866587)
I'm 18 and have been GS since 14. Always thought I was youngest in the system but guess not!!

Earned on your own?

WineCountryUA May 25, 15 11:35 am

Earlier similar threads

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html (mostly pmUA)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...st-member.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ing-elite.html

RandomBaritone May 25, 15 12:22 pm


Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 24866491)
Gift of current status to one other person is a MM perk.

Ah, I get it now.

rankourabu May 25, 15 1:31 pm


Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace (Post 24866628)
Earned on your own?

lol, does that even happen?
Has anyone actually ever earned GS with their own money?

And if so, why would anyone spend that much money of their own money on United. That is mind boggling.

Baze May 25, 15 1:38 pm


Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 24867125)
lol, does that even happen?
Has anyone actually ever earned GS with their own money?

And if so, why would anyone spend that much money of their own money on United. That is mind boggling.

Why does it matter?

orff May 25, 15 9:18 pm

28 currently, had it since I started working out of college at 22.

IT consulting, probably 50/50 split business vs personal

For anyone who earns it before their early 20's on non-companion status personal travel, props to you

dank0014 May 25, 15 9:56 pm

I know my boss' family usually travels with him when he goes international, and when they travel with him, they all fly F/C.

Given his daughter is 7 and son is 5, I would assume both have GS (not by MM companion, but actually by purchase of tickets in that class), along with his wife.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:35 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.