Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

First segment economy, Second segment First -- what checkin, security, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 11:16 am
Original Poster

As anyone ever had a first class leg of a flight after a coach leg of a flight on United? I am traveling with someone who didn't book first for the whole trip but has upgraded the second leg of the trip to first class. I am not sure if she can use the Premier Access check-in and security line when we check in for the flight because she will be in coach on the first flight. I am booked in first for the whole trip.

Has this ever happened to anyone?
Old May 18, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It used to be that one would be in BG1 the whole way through...but now I think it is per segment.

Just have her go with you through Premier Access and board with you.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:11 pm

That's a great question. I'd love to hear the answer too.

I'd imagine it's fine for her to go with you to the Premier line, but I guess it depends on how stringent the person is manning the line?

I am going to run into the same issue shortly -- all 3 of us have tickets where we're in economy for the first segment (1.5 flight, no F availability, no big deal), and the longer segment (almost 10 hours) in F (that's what I care about and I paid a good sum of change fees to change it when availability appeared).

I am hoping I could check in the Premier access line. Normally, I wouldn't care and don't mind checking in whichever lane, but since my flight is at some early hours at the crack of dawn (not something I'd generally go for, but ...) anyway, point is I'd like to be able to get to the airport as late as possible...so having access to the priority lane would be helpful.

If no one knows, I can post back after my trip...unless I get lucky and gets upgraded on the first segment!
Old May 18, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
You can check in at the premier access line
Old May 19, 2015, 11:57 am

Check in and baggage allowance will be premier access and 2x70lbs if any segment is in F. The boarding pass for the Y segment will not show premier access for the first segment however, and the seating group will be 3/4/5 depending on window/middle/aisle.

As others have said, bring them with you, with the exception of Chicago (where the security line dragons make the PHX UC dragons look like Dora the Explorer) I've never had anyone even question the "s/he's with me" statement (and in Chicago they just wanted to make sure we were on the same flight).

P.S. I would argue they could also board with you as the policy is simply that those traveling together board with the lowest group#. That said I could totally see a GA getting huffy that you aren't seated together and thus she has to wait (and then I've seen countless other GAs not care to check).

Last edited by wto605; May 19, 2015 at 6:22 pm
Old May 19, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wto605
Check in and baggage allowance will be premier access and 3x70lbs if any segment is in F.
Correction. 2x70lb, as we assume the traveler is not Platinum/1K and is also not a Gold traveling internationally.

Last edited by goalie; May 19, 2015 at 3:23 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old May 19, 2015, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Correction. 2x70lb, as we assume the traveler is not Platinum/1K and is also not a Gold traveling internationally.
Derp... fixed.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:46 am

Came back from trip. wto605 is spot on. Check in and baggage allowance is a 2x, and we got through the premier access lines, no problem (2 of tickets were booked with united card, and the the 3rd traveling companion came with us to the premier access line together with no problem, again F in the second segment). Boarding pass for Y did not show premiere access (for the traveling companion that did not have UA card), so two of us boarded in group 1 and other in group 5.

Originally Posted by wto605
Check in and baggage allowance will be premier access and 2x70lbs if any segment is in F. The boarding pass for the Y segment will not show premier access for the first segment however, and the seating group will be 3/4/5 depending on window/middle/aisle.

As others have said, bring them with you, with the exception of Chicago (where the security line dragons make the PHX UC dragons look like Dora the Explorer) I've never had anyone even question the "s/he's with me" statement (and in Chicago they just wanted to make sure we were on the same flight).

P.S. I would argue they could also board with you as the policy is simply that those traveling together board with the lowest group#. That said I could totally see a GA getting huffy that you aren't seated together and thus she has to wait (and then I've seen countless other GAs not care to check).
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
1st leg Waitlisting for BF, 2nd leg Cleared, No Status. Where to check-in?

My sister-in-law (no status) is traveling from EWR-LAX-MEL soon. It was a W fare and I sponsored her upgrade with my miles. The LAX-MEL segment cleared immediately, but her EWR-LAX is still waitlisted. Obviously, if her upgrade for EWR-LAX clears before she arrives at the airport, she can use the BF check-in counters. However, if it still has not cleared, does she have to check-in at the economy desk? Or will they let her check-in at the BF desk because she is flying BF in the longer sector? If she has to check-in at the economy desk, I will advise her to arrive at the airport earlier.

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by UALboy
My sister-in-law (no status) is traveling from EWR-LAX-MEL soon. It was a W fare and I sponsored her upgrade with my miles. The LAX-MEL segment cleared immediately, but her EWR-LAX is still waitlisted. Obviously, if her upgrade for EWR-LAX clears before she arrives at the airport, she can use the BF check-in counters. However, if it still has not cleared, does she have to check-in at the economy desk? Or will they let her check-in at the BF desk because she is flying BF in the longer sector? If she has to check-in at the economy desk, I will advise her to arrive at the airport earlier.

Thanks!
she should have priority access for the full itinerary. don't bank on that EWR-LAX upgrade request clearing (it probably won't) -- PS flights are a bear for upgrades since moving to EWR.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UALboy
The LAX-MEL segment cleared immediately, but her EWR-LAX is still waitlisted. Obviously, if her upgrade for EWR-LAX clears before she arrives at the airport, she can use the BF check-in counters. However, if it still has not cleared, does she have to check-in at the economy desk? Or will they let her check-in at the BF desk because she is flying BF in the longer sector?
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
she should have priority access for the full itinerary.
She will also have UC access at EWR regardless whether the upgrade clears.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Any time you are in premium cabin for one leg of the direction of travel, you'll have access to benefits of that for the entire direction. So premier access check in/security and UC access at EWR, BF bag allowance, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.