Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability and Service on UA Flights [2015-onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:38 pm

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability and Service on UA Flights [2015-onward]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by demkr
UA is going in this direction while other airlines are installing more IFE elsewhere.
That blanket statement is not accurate. DL also has a streaming product. And WN uses exclusively a streaming product.

The problem is, the wi-fi on UA flights is terribly unreliable, in my experience. Sometimes it doesn't work at all, and then you're stuck with a bare plane on a transcon.
Not my experience the last year or so. No, it's not 100% reliable, but I would no longer describe as unreliable.

And the new UA systems are superior to gogo in both performance and pricing. Last time I was on ps, gogo was priced at $31.99 for the entire flight. On their own systems, UA will sell you a faster connection for half the price or less. The TPAC pricing, at $16.99, is particularly fair.

Originally Posted by mduell
UA's biggest IFE reliability problem tends to be the off-board connection to the internet. The onboard wifi radios and streaming entertainment service aren't perfect, but they're a lot more reliable. I think a lot of people confuse the 3 different aspects of the service.
Yes quite a bit of confusion here.

UA has been way too slow with its installs, and the delays on the dark 739s are particularly galling, but I think their overall plan is sound. Execution, as usual, has been an issue.
Old May 16, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not my experience the last year or so. No, it's not 100% reliable, but I would no longer describe as unreliable.

And the new UA systems are superior to gogo in both performance and pricing. Last time I was on ps, gogo was priced at $31.99 for the entire flight. On their own systems, UA will sell you a faster connection for half the price or less. The TPAC pricing, at $16.99, is particularly fair.
I have found pretty good reliability but sometimes the pricing structure I don't feel compelled.
$15 for MEL-LAX but $20 LHR-EWR
Maybe they're banking on more people with expense reports to submit on the LHR route.
Old May 16, 2015, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by greg99
MMV on this point - I've had issues with both "off-board" and "on-board" connection (I never use the streaming entertainment).

But your point is a red herring.

A passenger who finds himself on board an aircraft where he's been told he will have wifi, expects to be able to use wifi, but where turns out not to work, is a ticked off passenger.

I've started booking more and more flights away from UA because *functional* wifi (with internet connection, to be clear) is so inconsistent. This year, I've been able to use the internet on roughly Ľ of my UA mainline flights. That's not good enough when I'm traveling during business hours.
Requiring the internet to work for wifi to be called "functional" is exactly the confusion I'm referring to. The wifi can work and the streaming device entertainment over the wifi can be working just fine on a plane with no internet connection at all or with a broken one. Wifi does not, and has not, mean a working internet connection.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I have found pretty good reliability but sometimes the pricing structure I don't feel compelled.
$15 for MEL-LAX but $20 LHR-EWR
Maybe they're banking on more people with expense reports to submit on the LHR route.
They're testing different price points to see what works best for UA.
Old May 16, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I think you are misinterpreting as others have mentioned.
Regarding a $9000 ticket is there any carrier that is giving free Wifi (not streaming content but web browsing).

The only complaint I have about no seat-back IFE in DOM F is if using anything bigger than a phone with the meal service it makes it kinda hard to finagle all of it in place...if they had the seat back holders like Qantas that would be ^ .
Aer Lingus provides free wifi web browsing in trans-Atlantic J.
Old May 16, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Requiring the internet to work for wifi to be called "functional" is exactly the confusion I'm referring to. The wifi can work and the streaming device entertainment over the wifi can be working just fine on a plane with no internet connection at all or with a broken one. Wifi does not, and has not, mean a working internet connection.
Well, that's certainly an interesting perspective on how passengers should construe the term wifi.

It's not how I would interpret it, and it's not how UA advertises it. Below is the text of an email I received before a flight last week, a flight on which I had no streaming entertainment (to be expected b/c it was an ERJ-175) or data connectivity.

Based on the email I received, I consider the latter to be a failure.

See which entertainment and connectivity options are available on your upcoming flight.

Below is a summary of the inflight entertainment available on your next trip with United®. Our United Private ScreeningSM options, such as seatback on-demand entertainment and personal device entertainment, where available, give you free access to movies and TV shows on board.

Please note that last-minute aircraft substitutions may change the options available on your flight. For the most up-to-date information, view your flight status on united.com or the United app and check the inflight amenities.

[flight info deleted]

[image said: "Entertainment not available"]

Details about the entertainment options for your trip:

Stay connected and productive
in the air with United Wi-FiSM.

Purchase Wi-Fi access to surf your favorite websites and keep up with email during your flight.[emphasis added]
In UA's own vernacular, wifi means air-ground data, and streaming entertainment is different.

This is also supported by the fact that every time I've had the air-ground data connectivity fail mid-flight, I've gotten a refund for the full amount of the charges, regardless of the fact that streaming entertainment might work.

It's also not consistent with how the rest of the airline industry uses the term wifi, which is irrespective of whether there are on-board video servers.

Greg
Old May 16, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by greg99
Well, that's certainly an interesting perspective on how passengers should construe the term wifi.

It's not how I would interpret it, and it's not how UA advertises it. Below is the text of an email I received before a flight last week, a flight on which I had no streaming entertainment (to be expected b/c it was an ERJ-175) or data connectivity.

Based on the email I received, I consider the latter to be a failure.

In UA's own vernacular, wifi means air-ground data, and streaming entertainment is different.

This is also supported by the fact that every time I've had the air-ground data connectivity fail mid-flight, I've gotten a refund for the full amount of the charges, regardless of the fact that streaming entertainment might work.

It's also not consistent with how the rest of the airline industry uses the term wifi, which is irrespective of whether there are on-board video servers.

Greg
UA is indeed doing a terrible job with the messaging that leads to conversations like:

"What IFE is available on my flight?"
>"Streaming device entertainment"
"How do I use that?"
>"Connect your personal device to the wifi network called "United_Wi-Fi"
"Oh it has wifi, I'll just entertain myself on facebook"
>"No, there's on internet access, just onboard content"
"But you said I connect to the wifi, which is how I get to facebook!"

So if we're going to discuss the various UA entertainment options (internet and streaming content) going forward, I think it's important that we differentiate what we're talking about.

In addition, your proposal that "wifi" means "internet" is inconsistent with the entire premise of the thread, which is titled "united wifi" but is concerned with the streaming content rather than the internet and starts with concern that IFE on wifi is free now (which internet is not) but may not be in the future.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:46 pm

Regarding a $9000 ticket is there any carrier that is giving free Wifi (not streaming content but web browsing).
Originally Posted by tyroner
Aer Lingus provides free wifi web browsing in trans-Atlantic J.
FI does, too.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
TK has free wifi for all pax on the aircraft that offer it, IME.
TK charges in the back now. A friend flew it last night and had to pay. Not sure if it is free in biz or not.

JetBlue also has it for free, including allowing streaming from "real" internet services like NetFlix, Hulu or Amazon. But a much smaller footprint of coverage.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
But, but, but, I like Direct TV.
Old May 17, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: UA GS
I am ok with just wifi streaming. But I hate that I have to enter all that information on sCO planes to just get to the free stuff (and even if it's flight status). Better solved on the sUA planes.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)
United wifi -- is this the end of all free on-board entertainment?

for longer flights, if there aren't power outlets, the usability becomes rather restricted
Old May 17, 2015, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I can easily see UA dropping seatback IFE in domestic first (it's already missing on many planes), and having to pay for streaming entertainment when MP discontinues their sponsorship like you have to pay for internet.
They can put different content packages in the streaming content based on where you're sitting.

That blanket statement is not accurate. DL also has a streaming product.

The difference being that DL's new planes come with seatback TVs, AVOD, satellite TV, Internet and streaming content.

United's new planes come with none of that, and you may see streaing content or streaming content + Internet on them.

In fact, I don't think there's a single United plane out there with the same entertainment that DL puts on their new planes (satellite TV + AVOD + streaming + Internet). And I don't think they plan to do that.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by channa
In fact, I don't think there's a single United plane out there with the same entertainment that DL puts on their new planes (satellite TV + AVOD + streaming + Internet). And I don't think they plan to do that.
No, although the 744s come close, with wifi, streaming, and AVOD in J and F.

And DL's MD80s and much of the 757 fleet have no seatback screens.

Plus the UA wifi is better than DL's.

Although DL got its fleet outfitted with wifi much quicker and doesn't have a massive sub-fleet of new aircraft that's still basically dark (i.e., UA 739s).
Old May 17, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Plus the UA wifi is better than DL's.
And so is the live TV (UA has more channels, though DL's is free).

The issue with the Internet is consistency. UA is a crapshoot, and you can't really plan for it. If you're a business traveler, that's a big deal. If you're a business owner and need (want) to stay connected, UA can be a problem.

Plus the pricing on UA is all over the place, and you have to pay per flight. With GoGo, you can buy a day pass, month pass, annual pass, etc. They get what frequent flyers need. UA has none of these offerings that appeal to very frequent flyers.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by channa
The issue with the Internet is consistency. UA is a crapshoot, and you can't really plan for it. If you're a business traveler, that's a big deal. If you're a business owner and need (want) to stay connected, UA can be a problem.
You can count on it TPAC from SFO.

But we're really quibbling over details.

I agree consistency is UA's weak point. I also find it incredibly annoying to have to enter credit card info on most aircraft to purchase wifi, when they have the capability to simply charge a card linked to MP account.

But UA is catching up. The gap is not nearly so large as it was a year or two ago, and in some (important) respects UA is now superior.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: Flying Nut
I just used them and it was great. Sign in similiar to hotel, name and seat number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.