Wiki Posts
Search

Group Travel Discount

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Group Travel Discount

My social rugby team based in Chicago is thinking about attending a tournament in London in October. We expect to have 15-20 players travelling plus WAGS (wives and girlfriends). Does anyone have any experience with booking group travel on UA (I'd rather fly UA then AA or BA)?

Did not see any posts, not sure where to start ...
Old May 14, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx
Old May 14, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Just keep in mind that group fares may or may not be cheaper than going market fares.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Group fares are often not cheaper, and when they are cheaper we're usually talking 5%. One reason groups can be more expensive is that will not allow you to book folks on separate flights to take advantage of the few cheap seats on each. You will all be on one flight and most likely purchasing tickets in a few different fare buckets.

The greatest advantage of booking a group is the ability to change names on tickets if the group changes, and the ability to lock in a fare well in advance with a number of tickets and then adjust down to the correct number closer to the date of travel. The biggest disadvantage is the inability to receive credit for unused value if someone drops out. Another disadvantage is that online check in is not possible with a reservation for more than 8 passengers, and group members do not get the elite baggage allotment of fellow travelers (though there is a work around for this -- have them divide the group into groups of 8 or fewer and make sure one elite is in each group).
Old May 14, 2015, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First and last piece of advice. Use an experienced TA. If you want to make enemies out of friends, try being the trip organizer, collecting money from friends, dealing with cancellations, seat assignments, illness, injury and the like.

Whether a group fare is worth it will depend on flexibility. But, one thing is certain, the fee you will pay a good quality TA experienced in group travel and who has good business reason to make you happy, is the best money you will spend on this trip.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by ordogg
My social rugby team based in Chicago is thinking about attending a tournament in London in October. We expect to have 15-20 players travelling plus WAGS (wives and girlfriends). Does anyone have any experience with booking group travel on UA (I'd rather fly UA then AA or BA)?

It might be more fun for all if the WAGS went to Vegas at that time After all the word "dogg" does appear in your handle"..haha
Old May 14, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
First and last piece of advice. Use an experienced TA. If you want to make enemies out of friends, try being the trip organizer, collecting money from friends, dealing with cancellations, seat assignments, illness, injury and the like.

Whether a group fare is worth it will depend on flexibility. But, one thing is certain, the fee you will pay a good quality TA experienced in group travel and who has good business reason to make you happy, is the best money you will spend on this trip.
Very sage advice ^

I would go with this.
Old May 14, 2015, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Very sage advice ^

I would go with this.
Thanks for the advice - TA it is (as long as I get to fly UA)
Old May 14, 2015, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil
Group fares are often not cheaper, and when they are cheaper we're usually talking 5%.
As everything, often doesn't mean always. I've had some great group fares (well below public market) both on UA and other airlines. Other times not. Of course, with fewer airlines today than yesterday... all fares are becoming uncompetitive.

And for best fare, ORD-LON, I would definitely look at group fares from other than UA/AA/BA. Look at airlines connecting on the continent as Air Canada, Icelandair, and Aer Lingus.

BTW, sport teams often do not get the best group deals as they often require lots of baggage space and, depending upon maturity and sport, have a reputation (rightly or wrongly) to sometime be difficult passengers (rowdy) to deal with at the gate and inflight.

Last edited by Indelaware; May 14, 2015 at 2:53 pm
Old May 15, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Originally Posted by ordogg

It might be more fun for all if the WAGS went to Vegas at that time After all the word "dogg" does appear in your handle"..haha
I think that stands for OGG
Old May 15, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Indelaware
I've had some great group fares (well below public market) both on UA and other airlines. Other times not. Of course, with fewer airlines today than yesterday... all fares are becoming uncompetitive.
Not so many years ago I could get the airlines to compete for group sales. I would call the group desk with the best price I had found online (often not the best flight times or routing) and tell them I would prefer to fly United if they could compete. They would send my preferred itinerary for pricing and often meet the fare. It was a very sad day (for me) when United stopped doing this.
Old May 16, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil
Not so many years ago I could get the airlines to compete for group sales. I would call the group desk with the best price I had found online (often not the best flight times or routing) and tell them I would prefer to fly United if they could compete. They would send my preferred itinerary for pricing and often meet the fare. It was a very sad day (for me) when United stopped doing this.
Exactly.
Old May 16, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Indelaware
BTW, sport teams often do not get the best group deals as they often require lots of baggage space and, depending upon maturity and sport, have a reputation (rightly or wrongly) to sometime be difficult passengers (rowdy) to deal with at the gate and inflight.
Rugby players would never be rowdy!
Old May 16, 2015, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Often1

for sure use a TA!
Old May 17, 2015, 1:24 am

I concur on group fares not being cheaper. The flip side is, with lots of general assumptions, 30k miles (& $15k spend on your UA card if you need to hit 25k to maintain status).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.