Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lie Flat flights BOS-West Coast (LAX/SFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

UA 717 on Nov. 25th. Is it the P.S. config from JFK-LAX/SFO? I don't see the separator in the First cabin.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:44 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Interesting... Looking at the timetable, looks like they started using the p.s. configured plane for BOS-LAX nonstop starting on 10/27, and LAX-BOS starting on 10/28.

Could this be the start of much-clamored BOS p.s. flight?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: UA1K
doubtful. either a glitch or just utilizing the aircraft for certain days. i remember for a small time they ran a 777 SFO-LAX a few years back.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by haddon90
doubtful. either a glitch.
^ Ya, I can't imagine that will stick.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Sooner or later you will possibly see a last minute equipment swap
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
It's loaded for a number of other dates as well.

Agreed probably a glitch but wouldn't that be interesting given B6's rumored Mint expansion
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plt, Marriott Gold, National Exec
Would LOVE to see this as permanent but I will not get my hopes up!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by md25
It's loaded for a number of other dates as well.

Agreed probably a glitch but wouldn't that be interesting given B6's rumored Mint expansion
for one, B6 has 3 flights per day to LAX to UA's 1. UA won't put p.s. on a market that can only support one flight a day and cannot support the p.s. fares that JFK can demand.

it most likely will be an equipment swap. i would not expect the p.s. planes to be on this route unless it is for aircraft positioning.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
for one, B6 has 3 flights per day to LAX to UA's 1. UA won't put p.s. on a market that can only support one flight a day and cannot support the p.s. fares that JFK can demand.

it most likely will be an equipment swap. i would not expect the p.s. planes to be on this route unless it is for aircraft positioning.
BOS is sort of on the wrong end for an aircraft repositioning on p.s. Deadheading the plane to BOS and then flying it on a route that has far more premium seats than the route can support seems odd.

This is almost certainly a glitch in United.com. Jut ask anyone flying a Q400 TATL if they think so.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i agree that it's a glitch, but if there was to be a city added to p.s., BOS is the best choice. competitive transcon market, high O/D percentage, and a corporate base that can sustain high fares.

that being said, UA probably isn't too fond of how massport is throwing money left and right to foreign carriers (EK, CX, HU, JL). i don't have insight into load numbers for those flights, but it's probably not a bad sign that EK upgauged from a 772 to a 773.

i understand that the p.s. subfleet isn't big enough to simply add a city at this point - but i can dream!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
BOS is sort of on the wrong end for an aircraft repositioning on p.s. Deadheading the plane to BOS and then flying it on a route that has far more premium seats than the route can support seems odd.

This is almost certainly a glitch in United.com. Jut ask anyone flying a Q400 TATL if they think so.
while i agree that it probably is a glitch, if there is some shifting of the fleet, and a p.s. 757 is just lying around for certain days, might as well use it.

and we have had this discussion multiple times. BOS does not have the $ to support the p.s. fares that JFK-LAX/SFO command. hence why p.s. is only on the NY-california markets.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I doubt it's a glitch. They shift these aircraft around from time to time and probably feel they don't need one of them on the ps route during that period.

BOS does not have the $ to support the p.s. fares that JFK-LAX/SFO command. hence why p.s. is only on the NY-california markets.
ps fares are quite low right now, around $2200 RT. They've been even lower (in the $1200 range) recently. Given the competitive landscape, with AA, DL, and B6 all competing for the same pax, this could continue for a while.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Sooner or later you will possibly see a last minute equipment swap
Yeah definitely not getting my hopes up. I did request an ug though just in case!

Originally Posted by Kacee
I doubt it's a glitch. They shift these aircraft around from time to time and probably feel they don't need one of them on the ps route during that period.
It'll be interesting to see if it was intentional. I originally thought they were putting an INTL 757 on this route when I booked it, but then realized 7 rows of F was P.S.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
It'll be interesting to see if it was intentional. I originally thought they were putting an INTL 757 on this route when I booked it, but then realized 7 rows of F was P.S.
There was a thread recently about the ps seatmap showing up recently on one of the LAX to Hawaii routes (either OGG or LIH). It did stick. LAX-OGG Equpment Swap 752 Lie Flat

Last edited by Kacee; Sep 17, 2014 at 12:44 pm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've had the PS config IAD-BOS and BOS-SFO before. Sometimes, they just do this. The plane may stick but they won't change the service. Definitely a nice surprise though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.