Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Pilot Diverts to Remove Autistic Child From Plane for Safety Reasons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Pilot Diverts to Remove Autistic Child From Plane for Safety Reasons

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by dutyfree
In fact, UA has been decimated on the disability rights forums, as well as on the legal blogs and on Twitter, with thousands of tweets calling for a UA boycott. Pundits view the incident as blatant discrimination because the request for a hot meal was reasonable as per the ACAA, which requires accommodations for those with special needs.
i haven't seen this....on the disability forums i've read, along w/ autism focused blogs, have been pretty critical of the mother's handling of the situation.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by spin88

The NYT (which actually fact checks things) has what the mom actually said in quotes: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/tr...hild.html?_r=0
Congratulations, you've cited to a passage in an article that cites Mom's own statement as to what she said, i.e., exactly what I've posted from her FB page. That's not fact-checking, and it certainly doesn't prove anything about what she actually said on the aircraft.

As I have noted, from context, i take the mom as saying her daughter would scratch at herself, which is common for autistic kids.
But that's not what she said, even if we take your NYT article and her FB post at face value. F/A's are not expected to be "child whisperers".

I'm not saying the FA did not hear it differently, or take a different meaning, but I see nothing that actually suggests a threat to harm "someone" which would - had it been made - have been more than a little different.
If you read UA's own statement, they diverted because "the situation became disruptive." Nobody said she was going to bring down the plane, but Mom said (and admitted repeatedly in public) that if the daughter didn't get a hot meal, she was going to have a meltdown.

Given that Mom has also acknowledged that her crying and vocal outbursts (to quote your NYT article) increased, it's reasonable for the F/A to report to the flight deck that Mom has indicated that unless the daughter is given a First Class meal (to which she's not entitled) the disruption would increase.

Sorry, but there's extensive history of disruptive passengers (i.e., disturbing other passengers) giving rise to diversions and removals from flights.

Greg
Old May 21, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
So if a request for a hot meal is reasonable under ACAA can we now expect a lot of people claiming they have to have a hot meal and get it. This could be another thing for all those people who bring their dogs on the plane claiming they are emotional support dogs.

This woman,as a UA Platinum flyer, would have known and should have known that "steaming" hot food is not going to happen in coach. Maybe she travels on a different UA then I do but in over 1mm flown with UA I never saw a sign that said that F hit food is available for purchase by coach passengers.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by cruisr
So if a request for a hot meal is reasonable under ACAA can we now expect a lot of people claiming they have to have a hot meal and get it. This could be another thing for all those people who bring their dogs on the plane claiming they are emotional support dogs.

This woman,as a UA Platinum flyer, would have known and should have known that "steaming" hot food is not going to happen in coach. Maybe she travels on a different UA then I do but in over 1mm flown with UA I never saw a sign that said that F hit food is available for purchase by coach passengers.
Future conversation:

"Excuse me. Stewardess. Oh, I'm sorry. What do they call you male stewardesses, anyway? In any case, my emotional support animal is becoming agitated. He needs to eat. No, he won't just eat anything. It must be a real meal, a hot meal, but not the steak, you always overcook those...and a nice glass of merlot. Thanks so much!"
Old May 21, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Future conversation:

"Excuse me. Stewardess. Oh, I'm sorry. What do they call you male stewardesses, anyway? In any case, my emotional support animal is becoming agitated. He needs to eat. No, he won't just eat anything. It must be a real meal, a hot meal, but not the steak, you always overcook those...and a nice glass of merlot. Thanks so much!"
Wow, blast from the past. A male stewardess is called a steward. And they are called Flight Attendants now anyways
Old May 21, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
Wow, blast from the past. A male stewardess is called a steward. And they are called Flight Attendants now anyways
Or Inflight Service Coordinators
Old May 21, 2015, 12:18 pm

It was intended as humor. I had hoped that the over-the-top nature of the second half of the fake quote would be enough that none of the statement would be taken seriously. And yes, I do know that the word stewardess was formed from the older term, steward, and at that, they both are woefully out of date in the airline world.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
It was intended as humor. I had hoped that the over-the-top nature of the second half of the fake quote would be enough that none of the statement would be taken seriously. Clearly not. Sorry about that.
Guess my grinning and winking emoticons didn't convey to you that I got that it was a joke and was responding in kind.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:22 pm

Guess my grinning and winking emoticons didn't convey to you that I got that it was a joke and was responding in kind.
Although I quoted you, I was more wondering about TomMM, so thought it would be better to make it explicit.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by greg99
Congratulations, you've cited to a passage in an article that cites Mom's own statement as to what she said, i.e., exactly what I've posted from her FB page. That's not fact-checking, and it certainly doesn't prove anything about what she actually said on the aircraft.

But that's not what she said, even if we take your NYT article and her FB post at face value. F/A's are not expected to be "child whisperers".

If you read UA's own statement, they diverted because "the situation became disruptive." Nobody said she was going to bring down the plane, but Mom said (and admitted repeatedly in public) that if the daughter didn't get a hot meal, she was going to have a meltdown.

Given that Mom has also acknowledged that her crying and vocal outbursts (to quote your NYT article) increased, it's reasonable for the F/A to report to the flight deck that Mom has indicated that unless the daughter is given a First Class meal (to which she's not entitled) the disruption would increase.

Sorry, but there's extensive history of disruptive passengers (i.e., disturbing other passengers) giving rise to diversions and removals from flights.

Greg
Exactly, IMO it's fairly moot if the mother told the FA that unless they provided something hot to eat that she would have a melt down and scratch or start to scratch someone.

It's debatable if statement "She might have a melt down and start to scratch (someone), will you help then" was a direct threat or disclosure of an anticipated reaction.

While context and tone, might influence our perception of remarks in our personal lives on the legitimacy of a said remark or statement , there is little to no latitude for interpretation on air carriers or secured areas- and any semblance or actuality of a threat, risk or danger triggers an established protocol.

Even if the FA used the most mundane language to describe to the pilot was was occurring 'There is a teenager passenger showing signs of emotional distress. Her mother has explained that her child has special needs and is requesting that unusual provisions such as a hot meal be made for her, because she is concerned that the behavior might escalate until it becomes physical' is enough of antecedent to cause a diversion to be considered.

While we can all discuss if it was a necessity or how or why this could have been avoidable for me the biggest issue I have is with the mother's narrative of why it occurred.

It was not an intolerance of autistic people or an irrational fear or prejudice.
It was no way akin to class warfare.

But, the reality of the situation doesn't fit with her agenda.

Last edited by Martina70; May 21, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Old May 22, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by dutyfree
In fact, UA has been decimated on the disability rights forums, as well as on the legal blogs and on Twitter, with thousands of tweets calling for a UA boycott. Pundits view the incident as blatant discrimination because the request for a hot meal was reasonable as per the ACAA, which requires accommodations for those with special needs...
I am sure the fora you visit would have been a lot kinder and more appreciative of UA if the FAs just waited until the teenager turned Hulk, then mazed, tazed, and cuffed her for the remainder of the flight.
I am sure that would have been preferable over picking the safe route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.