Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Pilot Diverts to Remove Autistic Child From Plane for Safety Reasons

UA Pilot Diverts to Remove Autistic Child From Plane for Safety Reasons

Old May 10, 15, 2:03 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I am with UA 100% on this. The mother is at fault. I am sure the mother will lawyer up - put me on the jury and UA wins this one. The mother should have provided the necessary snack/diversions to keep the autistic child occupied.
Old May 10, 15, 3:37 am

Programs: UA Plat, 0.915MM; Private pilot
I hope UA wins and countersues the mother for costs and fees.
Old May 10, 15, 4:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
I'm siding with UA on this one too....the parent should have known their child is unsuitable for air travel, and either way, prepared something appropriate to keep them calm, or arranged for some sort of sedative before the trip.

While I am sympathetic to the child's condition, the family should have been better prepared. If the daughter scratched me, the mother would be going to court for sure, just not the way she might expect.
+1. Crew did the right thing.
Old May 10, 15, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
PIC

The captain may not have had the full information, i.e. he/she didn't walk back to the cabin to assess the situation - but deemed the situation serious enough to warrant a diversion. It's the captain's call.

"The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft."
Old May 10, 15, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds like one of these unfortunate situations made more unfortunate by money-grubbers who think that they can grab some cash from a big company built on their child's condition.

I want crew making the correct decision for my safety wthhout worrying that not only will some local-yokel "news" report it, but that they will be backed up by their employer.

The child's needs are 100% the parents responsibility and if they brought the wrong food, that is on them.

Good for the Captain. Hope UA backs him up.
Old May 10, 15, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Sounds like one of these unfortunate situations made more unfortunate by money-grubbers who think that they can grab some cash from a big company built on their child's condition.

I want crew making the correct decision for my safety wthhout worrying that not only will some local-yokel "news" report it, but that they will be backed up by their employer.

The child's needs are 100% the parents responsibility and if they brought the wrong food, that is on them.

Good for the Captain. Hope UA backs him up.
+1000 - and would appreciate the title of this thread being edited to reflect a more neutral and realistic portrayal of the events....
Old May 10, 15, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NJFlyer42 View Post
My reading is that the mother asked for food since the food she brought was inadequate to prevent a problem (scratching).

What is the next demand? More food? What if the plane doesn't have the right food? Or pillow? Or blanket?

As a passenger I have develped the impression it takes 30 minutes to land a plane. Can the passengers and FA handle a crisis for 30 minutes without issues? Would the girl have to be forcibly restrained? How would that look on the news?

What about the poor schlub who just wants to go home in peace next to her?

I think the pilot made the right decision. The mother gave the impression that this could turn ugly and the pilot knew the plane was not ready. Heck...even 1k's in first don't get the food they want.
Yeah--the mother indicated that things could turn violent. That kid doesn't belong on a plane, period. The diversion was appropriate for passenger safety.
Old May 10, 15, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Another posting from a British tabloid, and they are all seemingly following a trip to Disney World. No credibility to this story.
Old May 10, 15, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Kind of surprised. I was expecting to see a vociferous debate filled with "Why I am leaving UA" comments. Instead, a whole lot of thoughtful comments. What have you done with FT?

(I agree with the other posters. I back UA's decision. Some passenger comments say that the child was settled down by the time the made the emergency landing. But once the pilot makes the decision to divert it's too late.)
Old May 10, 15, 8:29 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Yes, UA was correct on this one. Seems like the mother is looking for $$$$. If I were sitting by this child and was advised the child may start scratching I would want the child removed.
Old May 10, 15, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
This is like the lady from NJ who demanded her disabled child be allowed in first class with her and her husband. Media came out for her but public quickly saw through her story and backed UA.
Old May 10, 15, 8:56 am

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
Completely agree with UA. Crew made the right decision to get the plane on the ground and avoid the "meltdown point". I feel for the family but unless they can make it safe for their child and fellow passengers to fly, they shouldn't fly. Last I checked Amtrak was still in service and they have a dining car...
Old May 10, 15, 9:16 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
This is like the lady from NJ who demanded her disabled child be allowed in first class with her and her husband. Media came out for her but public quickly saw through her story and backed UA.
Do you have a link to this story? Couldn't find it searching Google news.
Old May 10, 15, 9:34 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
To add to the puzzlement, UA1535 MCO-IAH arrived at 1:02PM on May 5th. UA285, the flight that was diverted, departed at 6:21, but probably boarded at 5:00. So there were four hours in Houston - plenty of time to find the child a hot meal. Why wait until confined in a tiny metal tube with no options?
Old May 10, 15, 9:41 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead View Post
To add to the puzzlement, UA1535 MCO-IAH arrived at 1:02PM on May 5th. UA285, the flight that was diverted, departed at 6:21, but probably boarded at 5:00. So there were four hours in Houston - plenty of time to find the child a hot meal. Why wait until confined in a tiny metal tube with no options?
Because the Mom thinks she is entitled, of course. I really hope UA does not settle and brings the Mom to court. Send a message.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: