FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Pilot Diverts to Remove Autistic Child From Plane for Safety Reasons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1678775-ua-pilot-diverts-remove-autistic-child-plane-safety-reasons.html)

steppie May 10, 15 2:18 pm


Originally Posted by duchy (Post 24792681)
My son is on the autistic spectrum -fortunately flying with him is never an issue but other public place activities can be. I've always felt it is my responsibility to ensure I take all steps to ensure that I don't put him in situations that will cause him or those around us distress or discomfort.

In this case whilst I can see the FA may not have being as helpful and proactive as she could have been ultimately the mother was the one aware ahead of time what the child would need on the flight to avoid discomfort and distress.

Unless there was a reason not to be able to have appropriate tools-in this case suitable food brought on board -for example a delay that led to a tight connection and no time to prepurchase at the airport before boarding then the mother could have done better by her child and her fellow passengers.

If the parent cannot keep their child comfortable enough to fly (whether that means paying for first class or buying food to take on board or even medication) then simply putting the child through flying is inappropriate and cruel to the child. In that situation my child and I simply wouldn't fly but would choose to either not travel or drive. No matter how most of us feel - flying for leisure is not an essential but a leisure choice ultimately.

Well said!

Live4Upgrade May 10, 15 2:19 pm

Good for UA on this one. The mother certainly could of and should of done more to plan for and mitigate the situation.

Why should 100+ passengers be inconvenienced by the needs of 1 passenger. While I can appreciate the mother may have had her hands full, it's not UA's job to bend over backwards and tick-off all the other passengers.

LaserSailor May 10, 15 2:22 pm


Originally Posted by bmustaf (Post 24794331)
I absolutely understand that the internet was largely invented, as far as I know, for two things: 1) Monday Morning Quarterbacking and 2) More Efficient Distribution Of Adult Material, but seriously, this is a huge case of #1 that even makes me scratch my head given that knowledge.

Things are always clearer when the dust settles, but a volatile person or one who requires attention in a way they cannot receive on-board and cannot wait aboard a plane, regardless of reason, is a pretty great reason to divert.

Also, there's always more than meets the reporter's pen and way more than reaches the final article.

Diversions are neither convenient or fun for the crew involved, and quite costly for UA planners/controllers and the business in general, I don't think either party does so without a whole lot of commitment that it's the right thing. I don't think they do it for fun, for sure!

I think, as a now fellow Monday Morning Quarterback, that "possibly scratch someone" did them in. Once the physical altercation cat is outta the bag with the flight crew, there's no going back, IMO/IME.

You left off that Internet was intended to promote Gore, but I fixed that for ya!

There isn't a lot of need to evaluate the violence potential on this case. The minute the Captain gets the feeling that her/his flight crew have a significant load to deal with that impedes with their duties...it's over. A passenger firing of demands is obviously not about to comply with crew member instructions,...off you go.

mahasamatman May 10, 15 3:42 pm


Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson (Post 24794541)
Articles in the more reliable press in the UK

I didn't realize there was any such thing.


Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 24794700)
So any "meltdown" is cause for diversion?

If there's a direct and specific threat of violent behaviour, absolutely.

dmodemd May 10, 15 3:55 pm

Once I was in line for the initial BP check at the security checkpoint at IAH terminal C and saw a disturbance. It was a mother and father with an approximately 18 yr old autistic boy who was becoming very upset that his mother was leaving (she had already been directed into the security line). They tried discussing it with him quietly but he gradually was becoming more and more upset. After a couple minutes he went violent and hit his mother in the face, knocking her glasses off her face. Fortunately, police had just arrived on the scene and the father and police had to take the boy down. The boy was a good 6 feet tall and was flailing and punching anyone near him. It took the father and two police to restrain him on the ground. Everyone else in line had to quickly move back to avoid the melee.

I would just have to think that the family knows better than anyone how this particular individual might react in certain circumstances. If they perceive any reasonable risk that they might respond violently, they should not be brought to airports or put on airplanes. I know this is a very difficult situation for the family but they have to respect others safety as well.

I would say in this situation, the key is to whether the mother did state there was a threat of a violent reaction. If she did, the pilot made the correct decision and the family may be liable based on whether they felt there was a reasonable risk she could react violently. It sounds like the flight crew went above and beyond their responsibilities to provide assistance to the child and alleviate the situation.

It sounds like the mother complained that the pilot did not take a second assessment after food was provided and that should be considered as well.

HMPS May 10, 15 4:26 pm

This just made CBS evening news.
FA overacted in her report to Captain. That size child's cannot be a safety risk .

The Autistic lobby will have a field day, a new poster. Hild and UA will make a confidential settlement.

mogulskiir May 10, 15 4:42 pm


Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 24792278)
UA did the right thing.
The family is now just hoping for a pay day.

I couldn't agree more. I think UA did the right thing here. While I have sympathy for the child that is not UA's problem. Pilot was doing his job. The bigger problem is everyone is lawsuit happy in the U.S. and this drives me nuts.

MKEflyer95 May 10, 15 4:53 pm

I have a very high-functioned form of autism as well and looking at this, I thought this is just wrong of United to do. I've always liked flying and I know what to expect. But she probably isn't into aviation as me so she doesn't know that she's not supposed to cause a distruption on the plane. There was nothing her parents could really do to stop her from crying about getting no hot food. If this was on Delta or American, they'd probably take this situation more maturely without having to divert the plane. If she was flying alone they'd probably give her a first-class meal. When I was 9 and I flew alone, I got put in first class. Originally I had an economy seat but that flight turned out to be the best I've been on. If her parents would've informed United that she was autistic BEFORE the flight, then maybe she'd get to fly first class and get a first class meal and no distruptions.

mahasamatman May 10, 15 5:04 pm


Originally Posted by MKEflyer95 (Post 24795558)
If her parents would've informed United that she was autistic BEFORE the flight, then maybe she'd get to fly first class and get a first class meal and no distruptions.

Expecting preferential treatment based a medical condition in this way is as bad as someone discriminating based on it. It's no different than people trying to get a first class seat claiming it's their honeymoon.

cruisr May 10, 15 5:09 pm


Originally Posted by MKEflyer95 (Post 24795558)
I have a very high-functioned form of autism as well and looking at this, I thought this is just wrong of United to do. I've always liked flying and I know what to expect. But she probably isn't into aviation as me so she doesn't know that she's not supposed to cause a distruption on the plane. There was nothing her parents could really do to stop her from crying about getting no hot food. If this was on Delta or American, they'd probably take this situation more maturely without having to divert the plane. If she was flying alone they'd probably give her a first-class meal. When I was 9 and I flew alone, I got put in first class. Originally I had an economy seat but that flight turned out to be the best I've been on. If her parents would've informed United that she was autistic BEFORE the flight, then maybe she'd get to fly first class and get a first class meal and no distruptions.

Oh yeah, right. Now a new excuse to get an F seat. Sorry, with all due respect to you a F seat is not something one should get or deserves due to the fact that someone has autism. If the mother wanted an F meal for the child she should have bought F seats.

MKEflyer95 May 10, 15 5:16 pm


Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 24795605)
Oh yeah, right. Now a new excuse to get an F seat. Sorry, with all due respect to you a F seat is not something one should get or deserves due to the fact that someone has autism. If the mother wanted an F meal for the child she should have bought F seats.

I only got an F seat once and I have no problem with an Economy seat and no hot meals. I wouldn't want to pay extra for hot meals or F seats. I don't care if my meal or snack is cold or not

fastair May 10, 15 5:22 pm


Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 24795483)
This just made CBS evening news.
FA overacted in her report to Captain. That size child's cannot be a safety risk .

The Autistic lobby will have a field day, a new poster. Hild and UA will make a confidential settlement.

This is a 15 yr old, who may melt down and scratch other people, and you say "cannot be a safety risk"?!?! I can assure you, when I was 15, and I was small at that age, the damage I could have done if it was my goal, would certainly be sufficient to be a safety risk to others and people around me.

Are you serious when you said that?


Originally Posted by MKEflyer95 (Post 24795558)
I have a very high-functioned form of autism as well and looking at this, I thought this is just wrong of United to do. I've always liked flying and I know what to expect. But she probably isn't into aviation as me so she doesn't know that she's not supposed to cause a distruption on the plane. There was nothing her parents could really do to stop her from crying about getting no hot food. If this was on Delta or American, they'd probably take this situation more maturely without having to divert the plane. If she was flying alone they'd probably give her a first-class meal. When I was 9 and I flew alone, I got put in first class. Originally I had an economy seat but that flight turned out to be the best I've been on. If her parents would've informed United that she was autistic BEFORE the flight, then maybe she'd get to fly first class and get a first class meal and no distruptions.

There are pictures of her all over the Internet at places like Turks and Caicos, as well as other places. Given they are from the pac-northwest, the probability that they drove or took a boat in the past vs flying is small. I'm pretty sure that she's flown at least a few times before, on her outbound flights to MCO (multiple flights) as well as at least a couple of flights each way to the islands. It appears that they are well traveled.

Buckdany May 10, 15 5:29 pm


Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 24794918)
Not intending to go political, but a lot of these liberal countries (were these people from the UK? I haven't read much more into it) will usually always take the side of the child no matter the issue. Canada is similar - heavens forbid someone opens a bag of peanuts on a Canadian flight if there is an allergic child 30 rows back, there will be hell to pay.

This entire situation sits squarely in the lap of the parents. It's not like their daughter became autistic 15 minutes before boarding, they knew about her condition, knew the risks and failed to prepare and this has entitlement attitude written all over it. If she was this bad, she should have been tranquilized before the flight, or they should not be traveling.

UK. liberal country?

OccasionalFlyerPerson May 10, 15 5:31 pm


Originally Posted by fastair (Post 24795634)
This is a 15 yr old, who may melt down and scratch other people, and you say "cannot be a safety risk"?!?! I can assure you, when I was 15, and I was small at that age, the damage I could have done if it was my goal, would certainly be sufficient to be a safety risk to others and people around me.

Are you serious when you said that?

I agree with you. 15 years old is more or less adult size. The pictures show that the girl is about the same size as her mother.

For the person who questioned whether there is 'more reliable' press in the UK. The original link in this thread is from The Daily Mail. Which is sort of like equal parts of The National Enquirer and Mein Kampf.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...1198467596.jpg

kettle1 May 10, 15 5:37 pm


Originally Posted by Buckdany (Post 24795668)
UK. liberal country?

:D:D:D

HMPS May 10, 15 5:50 pm


Originally Posted by fastair (Post 24795634)
This is a 15 yr old, who may melt down and scratch other people, and you say "cannot be a safety risk
Yes I am serious"?!?! I can assure you, when I was 15, and I was small at that age, the damage I could have done if it was my goal, would certainly be sufficient to be a safety risk to others and people around me.

Are you serious when you said that?

Yes I am serious. She was in a window seat, her parents beside her. Would have been difficult to reach others as there would be enough time for the one in seat in front of her....I have seen pax and FA subdue a large drunk man. No big deal, this was prior to 9/11. Since we were on a LHaul just airborne pilot returned to home airport.

artvandalay May 10, 15 5:56 pm

Cheap publicity stunt by a shameless mother, and it seems to have worked thanks to the likes of such credible media as the Daily Mail (where one can get answers to important questions such as "What did Kim Kardashian were to the gym yesterday?")

Kudos to the captain for solving the problem.

OccasionalFlyerPerson May 10, 15 6:04 pm

There is more information here:

http://koin.com/2015/05/09/she-wasnt...use-of-autism/

Particularly interesting IMHO are the comments from other passengers Hall (who supports the family) and Hedlund (who supports the airline).

Personally I don't think that after the considerable disruption caused by Juliette that the airline could have taken the risk in leaving her onboard and hope that she doesn't continue being disruptive. How could the airline be sure that her parents would keep her constrained in her seat, would they ban her from stretching her legs or visiting the toilet?

pruss2ny May 10, 15 6:04 pm


Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 24795734)
Yes I am serious. She was in a window seat, her parents beside her. Would have been difficult to reach others as there would be enough time for the one in seat in front of her....I have seen pax and FA subdue a large drunk man. No big deal, this was prior to 9/11. Since we were on a LHaul just airborne pilot returned to home airport.

if the mom already raised the sniff of a threat about the girl melting down and scratching/assaulting other people, then from UA perspective its kind of game over. making the assumption that the parents will keep any physical attack under control simply isn't a cogent game plan...and the fact the mother forewarned it could be construed as admission that they've failed to contain her in the past.

cruisr May 10, 15 6:11 pm


Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson (Post 24795775)
There is more information here:

http://koin.com/2015/05/09/she-wasnt...use-of-autism/

Particularly interesting IMHO are the comments from other passengers Hall (who supports the family) and Hedlund (who supports the airline).

Personally I don't think that after the considerable disruption caused by Juliette that the airline could have taken the risk in leaving her onboard and hope that she doesn't continue being disruptive. How could the airline be sure that her parents would keep her constrained in her seat, would they ban her from stretching her legs or visiting the toilet?


Hmmm. She says it's not about the money. Yeah right. I'll believe that if she swears under oath to donate all proceeds, if she wins, to autism research. Of course it's about the money. She is seeing $$

fastair May 10, 15 7:27 pm

Why would anyone want them to sue and win? Would anyone like a precident to be set that forces crews to 2nd guess the "safety first" mentality of the flight deck personnel?

kettle1 May 10, 15 7:36 pm


Originally Posted by fastair (Post 24795999)
Why would anyone want them to sue and win? Would anyone like a precident to be set that forces crews to 2nd guess the "safety first" mentality of the flight deck personnel?

I agree 100% with this. Like I said up-thread, put me on the jury and mom gets ZERO!

wrp96 May 10, 15 8:38 pm

When I saw the thread title saying autistic child, I was thinking we were talking about a young child, not a teenager that is as big as an adult. I am even more on the side of the flight attendant and the captain now.

saneman May 10, 15 8:56 pm

I would imagine the girl would be annoying to listen to for a couple of hours more. But come on, safety threat???? What are we , a bunch of wusses these days? If I am a passenger, I would want to just get home ASAP instead of stopping midway and waste my time. I could control that kid one one quite easily even if she was Linda Blair in the Exorcist.

sna430 May 10, 15 8:57 pm

This is a tough one. Most people with an autistic child would favor the family and say that UA is 100% wrong.

My GF has a severe, now 10 year old autistic son and we did have an incident with UA last year (search "Autistic" if any one wants to read about it). Anyways, after my post on FT and UA Customer Care, the situation was handled quickly by upper UA management and we were even given a small token of appreciation of 2k miles each. I felt that the FA was handed a proper notice and that our issue would not happen again (at least by that FA). For this situation, other than money, I am not so sure why this family is so eager to file a lawsuit so quickly. I believe there are other avenues available if they want their situation to be more vocal in the media.

As for our flights, my GF's son recently just completed his first transcon flight. We brought on-board plenty of food, IPads, Laptops, and made sure we sat closer to the lavatory. He was fed before the flight, ate on the plane and had plenty of entertainment to keep him occupied. For the first 30 mins and the last 30 mins, he would just stare out of the window. Because there was a toddler that literally cried on the whole flight, he did do some slight hissing. However, that is very common for autistic children when they encounter the high pitch crying. His hissing was never a threat nor did anyone else notice it. We kept it discreet by giving him a shoelace for him toss around in his hands and turned up the volume on his noise cancelling headphones.

For me, it seems that this family had a long layover in IAH. They could have purchased hot food there for the next flight and also fed their daughter. I understand autistic children have an unique diet but IAH is not a small airport with limited food offering. On the connecting flight, they could have even asked if the FA would the reheat the food for them. If they did purchase food in IAH and got the wrong food, then I would have bought a little bit of everything. It is much better to be over prepared. Before I jump to any conclusion and given the limited information, I must agree with the actions of UA. I felt that the mom did not have the proper food and she said things that should not have been said to a FA on any flight. She may have known that the consequences would only be some minor scratches and maybe those scratches are only directed towards the parents. However, when a FA hears "meltdown" and "scratches", they immediately think about passenger safety. At home or in our private car, my GF's son does have a "meltdown" and can scratch us when any sort of emergency sirens drives by. However, he would never scratch a stranger and does not display this type of behavior in public or at school. Unfortunately random people do not know this and who knows how they would react if I went up to someone and just said "meltdown" followed by "scratches".

From this situation, I believe there should be more public awareness about autism. Researcher say that 1 out of 88 children have some sort of ASD. Hopefully one day a cure can be found!

goalie May 10, 15 9:02 pm


Originally Posted by saneman (Post 24796263)
I would imagine the girl would be annoying to listen to for a couple of hours more. But come on, safety threat???? What are we , a bunch of wusses these days? If I am a passenger, I would want to just get home ASAP instead of stopping midway and waste my time. I could control that kid one one quite easily even if she was Linda Blair in the Exorcist.

The child's mom mentioned that her daughter could/might end up scratching at someone and that could have been a very ugly situation of the pax who gets scratched grabs (let alone just touches) the child in an attempt to stop the child where mom attempts to intervene with a "don't touch my child" and the next thing you know, because folks heard "don't touch my child", you have the flight being diverted due to a sexual predator-or simply leaving that part out, mom intervenes and the scratched pax and her get into it. Thank you and I'll take diversions for $200 please Alex as imho, the crew did the right thing

MSPeconomist May 10, 15 9:19 pm


Originally Posted by kettle1 (Post 24796024)
I agree 100% with this. Like I said up-thread, put me on the jury and mom gets ZERO!

IMO she should get a negative amount. When she demanded the FC food, either there should be a fee for this or she should pay the fare difference to a FC ticket since FC amenities were offered--and some confirmed FC passenger probably lost a meal over the incident.

fastair May 10, 15 9:57 pm


Originally Posted by saneman (Post 24796263)
I would imagine the girl would be annoying to listen to for a couple of hours more. But come on, safety threat???? What are we , a bunch of wusses these days? If I am a passenger, I would want to just get home ASAP instead of stopping midway and waste my time. I could control that kid one one quite easily even if she was Linda Blair in the Exorcist.

What do you think the dozens of police at a station would say if you told them one of your party was about to lose it, a member of diminished capacity, that you, her own parents could not control and would start scratching people? Armed adult, mostly male in a secured environment with many different restraining device handy where they are prepared for violence? My guess is they would implement some "safety precautions". Now remove all the advantages of the police, the station, and stick the situation in to a densely populated can defying gravity at 35,000 feet traveled my at near 400 mph in a pressurized tube with women, children and other that are trapped in an enclosed environment with no way to exit or get medical attention if necessary


Yea, over reaction, no threat.

malgudi May 10, 15 11:40 pm

Hedlund is {wrong} ... there's no way anybody is going to be able to open the doors while in flight!


Hedlund said. “What if she got crazy and got up and opened an exit door at 36,000 feet?”

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson (Post 24795775)
There is more information here:

http://koin.com/2015/05/09/she-wasnt...use-of-autism/

Particularly interesting IMHO are the comments from other passengers Hall (who supports the family) and Hedlund (who supports the airline).


jetaway96 May 11, 15 12:02 am


Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 24796677)
Hedlund is {wrong} ... there's no way anybody is going to be able to open the doors while in flight!

Not everyone know that. Even if they knew, it doesn't stop them from trying...just saying.

JakiChan May 11, 15 1:40 am

One of the things I read was that the daughter would only eat hot food. She said she had no way to heat food on the plane.

Do they not have cup-o-soup where she comes from? If I had a kid who had that requirement I'd have at least one of those tucked away, maybe two. They always have hot water for tea.

In fact...maybe I should bring that on my next non-VX transcon. If I'm not special needs would they give me enough hot water for instant noodles?

Doc Savage May 11, 15 3:36 am

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/autistic...gency-landing/


Her mother says Juliette is a picky eater, so she asked a flight attendant if she could purchase a hot meal from first class -- and says she was told no.

"Well, I said, 'How about we wait for her to have a meltdown and then she is crying and tries to scratch -- and then you'll want to help her,'"
Beegle said she told the flight attendant.
Attitude always helps your cause.;)

username May 11, 15 5:07 am


Originally Posted by JakiChan (Post 24796914)
Do they not have cup-o-soup where she comes from? If I had a kid who had that requirement I'd have at least one of those tucked away, maybe two. They always have hot water for tea.

In fact...maybe I should bring that on my next non-VX transcon. If I'm not special needs would they give me enough hot water for instant noodles?

Well, I would not want to be near a kid close to meltdown when she has a cup of hot noodles. Those things also have terrible nutritional values. I can totally understand why the mother did not do this.


Originally Posted by sna430 (Post 24796269)
From this situation, I believe there should be more public awareness about autism. Researcher say that 1 out of 88 children have some sort of ASD. Hopefully one day a cure can be found!

I would hope the mother's real purpose is to raise awareness. It is not easy to have any child nowadays and a lot harder with special need children.

mrboom May 11, 15 5:22 am

Crew and pilot made the correct decision, especially after the mother made demands and threats. I have no tolerance for passengers that feel their situation entitles them to whatever they want.

Every passenger is in the same situation on that plane. You buy the class ticket you want and you travel according to the rules for that fare. Very simple.

kmersh May 11, 15 5:27 am

I was talking about the diversion with a long time friend who is a Pediatric Psychiatrist and does treat patients with Autism.

He said first and foremost that without ever meeting the patient anything he says is speculation but he did have some thoughts.

My friend's main point was that it was an unfortunate situation that maybe could have been handled better by both sides, but neither side is really at fault and a law suit DOES NOT accomplish anything.

He said that Autism patients can have challenging diets based not necessarily on taste but on routine and the act of seeing food around her could have caused her to want to eat something (even if she is not hungry as routine plays a huge part) and if she needs it to be hot, no amount of cold food (even food that is supposed to be served cold) would fill in as a replacement for food that is heated.

What we do not know and none of the articles state is if the Mother asked about heating of food she brought on-board with her, all we know is that she asked for a First Class meal, that could be out of desperation as she was ill prepared and did not have food to heat on-board or just as easily could have been because the FA said the only food we can heat are First Class meals. We just do not know. As an anecdote, I am not a fan of cold food though I can eat it and would not cause a stir if that was all that was available to me, but a while back (circa 2014) I was flying United and the meal options in First Class were a cold (and by that I mean cold soggy bread) sandwich or a salad with cold protein. I asked the FA if she could heat up the sanwhich to take off some of the chill and hopefully repair the bread (even a little) and she flatly refused saying that it was against United policy to heat food that United did not intend to be served heated, which I took to mean I am too lazy to bother with any special requests and that was in PAID First Class.

With regards to the diversion my friend felt it was actually compassionate to divert, but calling the Police was a little much, just allowing the PAX to deplane would have been enough, maybe have EMTs available to take the patient to a hospital if need be for further treatment, but Police really in my friend's learned estimation did not really serve any sort of purpose. He said United was right to divert, but it should been a Medical Diversion as opposed to a Security Diversion, taking it in the Security direction was inappropriate in his opinion, but not materially wrong, the diversion was still the compassionate thing to due considering the costs to United which they took for the diversion and having to pay to put the patient and her family on another airline for the remainder of their journey.

Bottom line neither party is wrong and both parties did not handle it right either, the only clear thing is that a law suit is not called for and hopefully the patient's family will come to understand that and drop the suit, opting to work with UA to improve understanding of Autism and make the Airline better for everyone.

reamworks May 11, 15 5:47 am


Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 24791941)
Difficult issue, but I would not be so quick to slam UA...

It boils down to the threat. It has nothing to do with them appropriating a meal they didn't pay for.

The mother said the daughter would start scratching other passengers if she didn't get her way. (Source: http://www.katu.com/news/local/Autis...303146891.html)
And that was when I just kind of said, ‘You know what? Maybe after she has a meltdown and she's crying and trying to scratch, then you'll help us,’” Beegle said.
Passengers were threatened. United did the right thing, 100%. The mother who made that threat should be on the "Do Not Fly List".

And anyone who thinks United did the wrong thing should be on the Do Not Fly list, too! :p

halls120 May 11, 15 5:56 am


Originally Posted by kmersh (Post 24797316)

He said that Autism patients can have challenging diets based not necessarily on taste but on routine and the act of seeing food around her could have caused her to want to eat something (even if she is not hungry as routine plays a huge part) and if she needs it to be hot, no amount of cold food (even food that is supposed to be served cold) would fill in as a replacement for food that is heated.

If Mom was aware of her child's needs to have a hot meal, it was on her to check with United before the flight to find out whether her special needs could be accommodated. I feel bad for the burden shouldered by these parents, but it's on them to find out beforehand what is and is not available.

If I were the judge in this case, I'd rule summarily in UA's favor, and award them court costs.

cruisr May 11, 15 7:29 am


Originally Posted by fastair (Post 24795999)
Why would anyone want them to sue and win? Would anyone like a precident to be set that forces crews to 2nd guess the "safety first" mentality of the flight deck personnel?

Just to clarify I don't want her to sue and win. I was just saying she is going to sue ONLY for money. She is just saying she is not suing for the money to which I say BS.

acader May 11, 15 7:44 am

Was on this flight last week. Sitting in row 2, I could not tell what was happening a few rows behind. It sure was not apparent. It was a relatively normal flight and next thing we heard that there was an emergency and we had to land in SLC. From what I could tell, the passengers sitting around this family seemed to support the family rather than the FA or the pilot. Those passengers said that they did not have any problems.

cruisr May 11, 15 7:51 am


Originally Posted by acader (Post 24797671)
Was on this flight last week. Sitting in row 2, I could not tell what was happening a few rows behind. It sure was not apparent. It was a relatively normal flight and next thing we heard that there was an emergency and we had to land in SLC. From what I could tell, the passengers sitting around this family seemed to support the family rather than the FA or the pilot. Those passengers said that they did not have any problems.

And there seem to be other passengers who support the actions of UA. A classic Rashomon effect.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:00 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.