FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Pilot Diverts to Remove Autistic Child From Plane for Safety Reasons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1678775-ua-pilot-diverts-remove-autistic-child-plane-safety-reasons.html)

Loren Pechtel May 12, 15 4:57 pm


Originally Posted by beachmouse (Post 24804275)
I have been in physical confrontations maybe 2-3 times in my life, all back during my teenage years. I don't start things; I'm probably as non-confrontational as you'll find in an American. Thing is, if someone else instigates, I will defend myself hard and with no regard for my attacker. If someone hits me, I do my best not to let myself get hit a second time.

If if was in my seat just reading a book on my phone minding my own business and hands came over the seatback and scratched my face, the seatbelt would come off and I would have done my best to deck the instigator.

I am not proud of this, but I'm hyper-defensive of my person and especially my face and this is the unthinking reaction you'd get from me. I suspect that many people would have a similar reaction to that kind of physical assault.

"If there was a physical incident, she would be subdued without violence," is not a given even that's what people like to say.

America is the land of lawsuits. (I think about 1/3 of the entire economy of Alabama consists of people suing each other.) So I would like to thank UA for not putting passengers in a situation where they would probably get personally sued by Mama Grizzly if they suffered from an unprovoked attack from their daughter and a hair on her head was harmed while the other passenger was defending themselves.

Second this. There's no way to escape the threat, thus the only means of defense is to incapacitate the attacker.

fly747first May 12, 15 5:07 pm


Originally Posted by copperred (Post 24805130)
Why does it happen less on other airlines? Because UA is a garbage airline these days, with lots of barely sentient employees. That FA had a hissy fit and should have been ejected as well.

Completely agree ^^^^

lupine May 12, 15 5:22 pm

I have seen a 14 y.o. autistic teen go berserk, and his mom, dad and a sibling got hurt. It was my cousin, and it was very scary to watch. He had strength far beyond his size when he was in a rage.

If a baby/toddler has a meltdown, there can be a lot of screaming and crying, and maybe some kicking the seat in front, but it unlikely that others would be hurt.

A full-on teenager? Yeah, I'd be worried if the mom said the teen might start scratching people.

If you have a kid that goes into a meltdown if she doesn't have hot food when she wants it, why the heck wouldn't you routinely travel with a wide-mouth thermos that you can get filled with steaming hot food when you're in the terminal before getting on the plane?

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

cruisr May 12, 15 5:32 pm


Originally Posted by lupine (Post 24806408)
I have seen a 14 y.o. autistic teen go berserk, and his mom, dad and a sibling got hurt. It was my cousin, and it was very scary to watch. He had strength far beyond his size when he was in a rage.

If a baby/toddler has a meltdown, there can be a lot of screaming and crying, and maybe some kicking the seat in front, but it unlikely that others would be hurt.

A full-on teenager? Yeah, I'd be worried if the mom said the teen might start scratching people.

If you have a kid that goes into a meltdown if she doesn't have hot food when she wants it, why the heck wouldn't you routinely travel with a wide-mouth thermos that you can get filled with steaming hot food when you're in the terminal before getting on the plane?

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Agreed. This Mom is the problem not the teen. I read the Moms Facebook post which was incomprehensible in some parts. I have no sympathy for her at all and if she does take UAL to court them UA should counter sue. She just seems very self righteous and entitled. Maybe she should have stayed home and donated the money she spent on the Disney trip to the poor. then none of this would have happened.

BlueMilk May 12, 15 5:48 pm


Originally Posted by beachmouse (Post 24804275)

If if was in my seat just reading a book on my phone minding my own business and hands came over the seatback and scratched my face, the seatbelt would come off and I would have done my best to deck the instigator.

I wholly agree that it's disturbing if bad things happen when one is minding their own business. The best of us might lose our minds.

So consider this young adult's perspective. None of the accounts (even those presumptive or speculative) have suggested that she was doing anything other than minding her own business. It was the non-autistic collection of adults in her vicinity that lost their cool.

Did she threaten anyone?

Did she assault anyone?

Did she lose her mind when escorted from the plane by police?

She did not.

She remained calm and composed and appears, to me, to be one individual involved who distinguished themselves with mature conduct.

So, by all means, let's debate the conduct of the parents, UA and the authorities. But please understand that the individual at the centre experienced a very bad day, not of her making.

She deserves a good deal of respect.

channa May 12, 15 7:31 pm


Originally Posted by BlueMilk (Post 24806508)
So, by all means, let's debate the conduct of the parents, UA and the authorities. But please understand that the individual at the centre experienced a very bad day, not of her making.

Sometimes bad days become good days in the end.

The girl is what, 15? In a few years, she'll be able to purchase her own ari travel, and she'll look back on this and remember United for the airline that it is. And how Delta saved the day.

And if her parents end up with a settlement to their lawsuit, there might be some cash in it as well.

While it was a bad day on that day, it's possible that she'll remember it down the road as the day that made her a loyal Delta customer, and the day that United paid for her college education. Ultimately, a good day in the end.

lupine May 12, 15 10:25 pm

Or maybe she'll just figure out that her mom is a jerk, but that she loves her anyway.

kettle1 May 13, 15 2:02 am


Originally Posted by lupine (Post 24807468)
Or maybe she'll just figure out that her mom is a jerk, but that she loves her anyway.

:D:D:D

Steve_19 May 13, 15 2:21 am


Originally Posted by MattR23 (Post 24806173)
I thought that was weird too at first. But if you look at her profile, you'll see that her life's work is all about poverty. She has studied poverty and is the president of an organization that "is dedicated to broadening and improving opportunities for people who live in the war zone of poverty."

I think her comments about poverty, in light of what she does for a living, make the situation even stranger. Does she think most people will truly relate her experience to people in actual poverty?

HkCaGu May 13, 15 2:26 am


Originally Posted by BlueMilk (Post 24806508)
I wholly agree that it's disturbing if bad things happen when one is minding their own business. The best of us might lose our minds.

So consider this young adult's perspective. None of the accounts (even those presumptive or speculative) have suggested that she was doing anything other than minding her own business. It was the non-autistic collection of adults in her vicinity that lost their cool.

Did she threaten anyone?

Did she assault anyone?

Did she lose her mind when escorted from the plane by police?

She did not.

She remained calm and composed and appears, to me, to be one individual involved who distinguished themselves with mature conduct.

So, by all means, let's debate the conduct of the parents, UA and the authorities. But please understand that the individual at the centre experienced a very bad day, not of her making.

She deserves a good deal of respect.

She was interviewed on KFI-AM Los Angeles during the 1:30-2:00 pm slot on Tuesday. She sounded like a reasonable person appropriate to her education and profession. I did not hear the whole interview, but it sounded like she was frustrated in the FAs inability to understand the medical situation, and that the price of finally getting the hot food was an inaccurate report given to the captain who made the later decision. She was not looking for money, but training of FAs in understanding the nature of autism.

So if one can think from her perspective: Whatever fault she had for not being prepared (or surprised), she had to, in good conscience with professional knowledge and personal experience, and especially with the manifested IGNORANCE of the FAs, declare a threat. Upon accommodation, she also in the same manner declared that the threat had ended (especially if the flight had proceeded to PDX as scheduled). Then on the ground she had to endure the less-than-completely informed paramedics, LEOs, and cockpit crew.

It is reasonable to me that she wanted FAs trained on autism.

Steve_19 May 13, 15 2:51 am


Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 24807634)
It is reasonable to me that she wanted FAs trained on autism.

That opens a very large door. I believe FA's should have safety training (ex. CPR) for certain, but to be familiar with autism as well as multiple other conditions? It sounds like she wants all FAs to be registered nurses as well.

On the other hand, maybe this would help to increase turnover of some of the more seasoned FAs we get to "enjoy" these days.

halls120 May 13, 15 3:37 am


Originally Posted by lupine (Post 24807468)
Or maybe she'll just figure out that her mom is a jerk, but that she loves her anyway.

Mom is a jerk, even if daughter doesn't figure it out.

OccasionalFlyerPerson May 13, 15 4:27 am


Originally Posted by BlueMilk (Post 24806508)
I wholly agree that it's disturbing if bad things happen when one is minding their own business. The best of us might lose our minds.

So consider this young adult's perspective. None of the accounts (even those presumptive or speculative) have suggested that she was doing anything other than minding her own business. It was the non-autistic collection of adults in her vicinity that lost their cool.

Did she threaten anyone?

Did she assault anyone?

Did she lose her mind when escorted from the plane by police?

She did not.

She remained calm and composed and appears, to me, to be one individual involved who distinguished themselves with mature conduct.

So, by all means, let's debate the conduct of the parents, UA and the authorities. But please understand that the individual at the centre experienced a very bad day, not of her making.

She deserves a good deal of respect.

She had been 'howling' before the hot food was supplied. This is extremely different from your description of the situation, and it's clear that the 15 year did not remain calm and composed. Many, if not most, reports of this story have mentioned this behaviour. E.g.

http://gawker.com/united-allegedly-r...-fo-1703774723


“There was a lot of howling, and we thought well, what’s going on? And it never stopped,” Hedlund said.
Here the parents admit that Juliette had a meltdown on the plane.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...tism/27123423/

mrboom May 13, 15 4:58 am


Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson (Post 24807894)

Here the parents admit that Juliette had a meltdown on the plane.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...tism/27123423/

The husband seems to be honest while the mother is completely in denial and or changing her version of the story to tailor it to her agenda. Whack job mother. That poor husband and family.

OccasionalFlyerPerson May 13, 15 5:18 am


Originally Posted by mrboom (Post 24807954)
The husband seems to be honest while the mother is completely in denial and or changing her version of the story to tailor it to her agenda. Whack job mother. That poor husband and family.

The mother is being supported by the media. The media appear to mostly be reporting her side of the story, while giving limited or in some cases no coverage to differing opinions.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:31 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.