Wiki Posts
Search

[Question] Alcohol in a checkin bag?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
[Question] Alcohol in a checkin bag?

Backstory: I've been flying for the last 2 years, and have been 1k for most of it. This happened my first year of flying, when I was making the climb - silver status at the time.

I'm not sure why I'm remembering this story now, but I'll try to capture the specifics.

I had a bottle of wine in my bag, so I was planning to check it from SFO -> IAH. When I loaded it, the agent asked me "Do you have any glasses or fragile material?" I responded with "Yes, one wine bottle." The agent then responded with something to the effect of "Is this your wine bottle?"

I was a bit confused, but told her no... I was transporting it for my mom. She said I couldn't do that, and she needed written proof of that my mom was okay with me transporting it for her (liability?). This really threw me off - after some back and forth, I called my mom and handed the phone to the agent so she could say it was OK.

The agent still gave me a paper to sign and waive all liability for United.

Being a new flier, I just went with it. Now that I think about it, though, whats general policy on liquor transportation? Why would it matter who I'm transporting it for? This seems out of the ordinary to me now that I reflect on it.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by teeceedee
....whats general policy on liquor transportation? ...
Always best to start with the source
Liquor

Alcoholic beverages in retail packaging may be carried as checked baggage.

For alcoholic beverages less than 24 percent alcohol by volume (including most wines and beers) there are no restrictions on the amount that may be accepted in checked baggage or purchased after completing security screening at the checkpoint (duty free). If traveling internationally, alcoholic beverages may be subject to customs limitations in the arrival country and transporting alcoholic beverages may be subject to country regulations.

For alcoholic beverages between 24 and 70 percent alcohol by volume there is a limit of five liters (1.3 gallons) per customer that may be accepted in checked baggage, or that may be purchased after completing security screening at the checkpoint (duty free). Packaging must be in receptacles smaller than 5 liters. Alcoholic beverages consisting of more than 70 percent alcohol by volume will not be accepted.

All alcoholic beverages must be packed to prevent breakage. United shall not be liable for breakage or spillage of alcoholic beverages. Normal checked baggage allowance limits, excess fees and carry-on limits apply.

Up to 3.4 oz. (100 ml) of an alcoholic beverage may be taken through the security checkpoint, provided it is less than 70 percent alcohol by volume, in a container that is 3.4 oz. or smaller, and is carried in a plastic zip-top bag.

If you are flying to the U.S. and have a connecting flight, even duty free liquids that meet U.S. requirements will not be permitted through U.S. security checkpoints. If you have a connecting flight, liquid duty free purchases must be placed in your checked baggage. Since you will be required to reclaim your checked bags prior to passing through customs inspection, you can place duty free liquids into your bags and recheck it for your connection.

Note: Alcohol transported on an airplane cannot be consumed on board.

Originally Posted by teeceedee
.. Why would it matter who I'm transporting it for? ....
this relates to the general security issue about transporting packages for other people. Unless you can positively state you are aware of the contents, it potential becomes a security issue. So best not to state it is for someone else.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So best not to state it is for someone else.
Or to be more clear and indicate that you purchased it as a gift for someone rather than that it is someone else's stuff you're playing sherpa on.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Ahh ok that makes sense. Good to kno!

I just remembered why this story cameback to me - opened my luggage and realized a bottle of Kavalan Whisky came home with me :-D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.