United Airlines- PayPal payment

Old May 6, 15, 10:03 am
Original Poster

United Airlines- PayPal payment

Hello guys,

I hope you can help with my case.

On April 15th, I bought a ticket with United Airlines through PayPal, that same day I got my e-ticket confirmed, so I was guessing everything was ok. Nevertheless, in my account of PayPal the payment status still looks as "Pending", which mean the airlines hasn't proceeded the payment yet. If it passes more than 29 days, the payment will be canceled and the will be refunded into my account.

I spoke to United and they told everything seem as I had already made the payment, and they re-confirmed my ticket. I spoke to PayPal and they told me the airline hasn't proceeded the payment yet.

I am worried that the Airline doesn't proceed the payment on time. What would happen? Would they charge me the fare the date of my flight? Is there going to be a fee or something? or, there has been a glitch and I'm going to get free tickets? What should I do?

Has anyone of you been in this situation? if so, please help me, I want to get on that plane for the price I paid for with PayPal.

Thank you
Old May 6, 15, 10:16 am

Programs: 1k
Do you have any other way to confirm?
If you confirmed with United did you get and email or are you a MP member account for a record?
I have had flight confirmations and "pending" showing on my CC before for several days, but not as long as you.
Old May 6, 15, 10:23 am
Original Poster

I got an e-mail with my e-ticket itinerary and my receipt. I wasn't a MP by the time I bought the ticket, nevertheless I talked to MP staff to redeem the miles of that flight and they told me the miles will be added to my account a few days later of my flight.

I tried to check-in, but it tells me that I can't do it yet, because it's too early. I doesn't let me check-in, but at least it recognizes that I have a ticket that will be checked-in in the future.
Old May 6, 15, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, Marriott G, SPG G
I used paypal as a form of payment a few times, and there did seem to be some delays in their processing. The charge usually appears on my credit card within a week after I purchase the ticket (but still as "United Air", not as Paypal). Even after the charge appeared on my cc, Paypal may still show "pending" for a few days. Maybe OP can check his/her cc and see if the charge posted
Old May 6, 15, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K Marriott Gold IHG Ambassador SPG Gold
About a month ago I tried to buy a UA ticket using Paypal. I am not sure what happened but the payment did not process. The rest of the reservation went through. I called the 1K desk and they transferred to web support who verified that the payment did not post. They think the Paypal transaction may have timed out. Anyhow, the individual who I spoke to was very articulate and definitely knew her area of expertise.
Old May 6, 15, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If PayPal is going through a credit card anyway, why not use the credit card directly? That way you have more consumer protections (assuming USA based) than if a debit card or something similar is used.

IMO PayPal only makes sense if someone doesn't have a credit card and even then, getting a prepaid card might make sense for travel purchases.
Old May 6, 15, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You have a reservation and ticket with receipt. I wouldn't mess with it.

United's computers can be challenging in the best of circumstances. I couldn't imagine what they have to do to handle a non-traditional payment method such as this.

Just leave it be. Best case, they never charge you. Worst case, you have an itinerary and receipt, and they will honor it with a bit of a fight.

But finding someone both knowledgeable and empowered to push something like this through in an organization as dysfuntional as post-merger United, is practically impossible.
Old May 6, 15, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

I really didn't want to use PayPal, but I had some money stuck there, so why won't use it?.

What worries me is that if United doesn't capture the payment they won't let me check-in at the day of my flight until I pay the initial fare or some fee for the delay, I don't know.

Do you think united can stop me from boarding that plane despite , me having a confirmed ticket? Have any of you been somewhere near close this situation?

Thank you so much for your replies

Originally Posted by FlyingFloosie View Post
About a month ago I tried to buy a UA ticket using Paypal. I am not sure what happened but the payment did not process. The rest of the reservation went through. I called the 1K desk and they transferred to web support who verified that the payment did not post. They think the Paypal transaction may have timed out. Anyhow, the individual who I spoke to was very articulate and definitely knew her area of expertise.
What is the 1k desk? What happened after? When and How did you pay for your ticket? Did you have to pay for a fee or a penaltie or did they give you the same price?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 6, 15 at 9:09 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 6, 15, 9:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by eduardoarb View Post
.... What is the 1k desk? ....
reference to special phone agents for elites (there is no "real" 1k desk but general set of agents for elites/premiers that 1Ks have priority access)
Old May 6, 15, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eduardoarb View Post
I really didn't want to use PayPal, but I had some money stuck there, so why won't use it?.
Because it is free and easy to transfer that money to a real bank account.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: