Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Mixed Cabin / Class Award" tickets -- discussion, Q&A, ... [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Mixed Cabin / Class Award" tickets -- discussion, Q&A, ... [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
You're allowed an open jaw -- actually, you're allowed two, but it can be tricky to use the second one. So, if DCA is your preferred destination, by all means, look for flights into DCA.

My concern wasn't about ending your trip at IAD; rather, when you're returning from BUD, I would try to avoid transiting IAD on the way to PHX. Otherwise, you've basically constructed two round-trip tickets end-on-end (IAD-BUD and then IAD-PHX). Technically, it is still allowed by the rules, but I can't promise it would price properly, and the agent may give you a hard time. (Or, everything may be fine; YMMV).

Have a great trip. :-)
I am planning on going to Bratislava and Budapest. Would it make more sense then to fly into Vienna and out of Budapest? Is that allowed and if so I would assume then I would fly back into IAD and not DCA anymore if I wanted to do that?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Non-elite has a one way business award ticket all on UA metal:
AAA-BBB in I
BBB-CCC in X
CCC-DDD in I

And is waitlisted for BBB-DDD in I. If they clear the waitlist, will they be subject to a change fee?

UA says "Fee will be charged for any change to cabin, award type, carrier, date or time" and the cabin, award type, carrier, and date are not changing, the time arguably is by a bit since the departure time of BBB-DDD matches neither BBB-CCC nor CCC-DDD.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:39 pm

UA: Mix class award flights

When searching for business class award flight to Switzerland JAX - GVA I do not find any awards. When searching individual flight segments, I find coach awards for the connection flight to IAD (Dulles) but when searching for business class awards from IAD to Geneva, I did find some business class awards.

My question is could I get a mix class award paying business class points (both segments under one reservation) if I called the airline and gave them the appropriate dates and flights. Currently looking at United flights?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jeff Rowland
.... My question is could I get a mix class award paying business class points (both segments under one reservation) if I called the airline and gave them the appropriate dates and flights. Currently looking at United flights?
Yes if all the appropriate rules are met.
-- Valid connection time
-- the domestic economy award is a saver award. Partner awards are considered saver awards and saver / standard awards can not be mixed in the same direction.

Have you tried booking this as a multi-city award?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by Jeff Rowland
When searching for business class award flight to Switzerland JAX - GVA I do not find any awards. When searching individual flight segments, I find coach awards for the connection flight to IAD (Dulles) but when searching for business class awards from IAD to Geneva, I did find some business class awards.

My question is could I get a mix class award paying business class points (both segments under one reservation) if I called the airline and gave them the appropriate dates and flights. Currently looking at United flights?
Some agent would do it some won't! In the latter case, just hang up and call again later.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Non-elite has a one way business award ticket all on UA metal:
AAA-BBB in I
BBB-CCC in X
CCC-DDD in I

And is waitlisted for BBB-DDD in I. If they clear the waitlist, will they be subject to a change fee?

UA says "Fee will be charged for any change to cabin, award type, carrier, date or time" and the cabin, award type, carrier, and date are not changing, the time arguably is by a bit since the departure time of BBB-DDD matches neither BBB-CCC nor CCC-DDD.
Non-elite did not pay a change fee when they cleared about 9 days before departure to BBB-DDD.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:44 pm

Mixed cabin award waitlisting

I booked an one-way award using Krisflyer miles on all UA metal and it is a mixed cabin award with HNL-LAX in econ and LAX-PHX in 1st. I was charged the 30k miles that Singapore charges for one-way in 1st from Hawaii to Mainland. Can I get waitlisted on the HNL-LAX in case a seat in 1st opens up? I've called United a couple of times and they seem confused as to what I want to do with one agent saying I don't have enough miles to waitlist. Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by buddy1671
I booked an one-way award using Krisflyer miles on all UA metal
.... Can I get waitlisted on the HNL-LAX in case a seat in 1st opens up? ...
UA can do nothing since it is SQ ticket / miles. You need to have that discussion with SQ -- SQ only purchased a economy seat on that leg. What SQ charged you does not matter, it is what SQ purchased from UA that matters.

Award tickets can only be changes by booking airline.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Will UA still put you on a waitlist for First/Business upgrade on a Mixed class award ticket if you call in?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
Will UA still put you on a waitlist for First/Business upgrade on a Mixed class award ticket if you call in?
I'm assuming you're on a business saver award?

The answer is yes, but don't use the word "upgrade." Tell them that you have a confirmed saver award and you'd like to waitlist for business / first class on the economy leg(s).
bbriscoe34 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm assuming you're on a business saver award?

The answer is yes, but don't use the word "upgrade." Tell them that you have a confirmed saver award and you'd like to waitlist for business / first class on the economy leg(s).
You wouldn't have any higher priority on that waitlist because it's an award would you?

It will depend on your status?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
You wouldn't have any higher priority on that waitlist because it's an award would you?

It will depend on your status?
Waitlist priority is a little fuzzy. Prior to the gate, you will be effectively lower than people with a waitlisted upgrade applied, because UA opens upgrade inventory before they open award inventory. On CPU-eligible routes, this can include CPUs also.

At the gate, there are a ton of conflicting reports. As best as I can determine, your priority is based upon status at the gate, grouped in with people using instruments to upgrade, and ahead of non-GS CPUs, if any. You can see more information here: Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:18 pm
Suspended

So IOW, don't redeem mixed-cabin awards expecting to get upgraded.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
So IOW, don't redeem mixed-cabin awards expecting to get upgraded.
I have had good success w/ IN waitlists.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:04 pm
Suspended

IN waitlists?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.