Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Not publicly published but a long existing practice
Originally Posted by sfmaus
Original ticket must have been purchased on united.com within 30 days
Itinerary must be exact match, but different fare class is okay.
Fare difference must be >= $100.
$50 processing fee deducted and remainder issued as TCVA.
Multiple reports of success in 2019 including one in June and one in July, 2019 in which the $50 processing fee was charged separately and then an ETC issued for the gross fare difference.
Another recent case in this thread is late 2018.

A successful case of repricing and keeping a confirmed upgrade.
Print Wikipost

Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gusd
Thanks. Yes, it's all UA. I'm kind of worried they will mess it up and end up losing the upgrade. How about if I just reprice the return, and leave the outbound intact? Would that still imply the possibility of losing the upgrade?
not possible. You cant just reprice the return. You have to reprice the whole thing, and you need to have the ticket re-issued - again, for the entire itinerary.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:23 pm

Thanks. Yes, it's all UA. I'm kind of worried they will mess it up and end up losing the upgrade. How about if I just reprice the return, and leave the outbound intact? Would that still imply the possibility of losing the upgrade?
For $580 bucks savings I rather sit in coach..
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by emcampbe

not possible. You cant just reprice the return. You have to reprice the whole thing, and you need to have the ticket re-issued - again, for the entire itinerary.
Let me rephrase that, if I only change the return, but keep the outbound as is.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Let me rephrase that, if I only change the return, but keep the outbound as is.
can be done with an experienced agent. Call it in and make sure the agent understands you do not want to mess with the confirmed UG. It can be done.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Change fee waivable?

Hi,
Last week, I booked a trip on UA and partners from Wash DC to Kenya in September. Today the exact same flights are $250 cheaper per ticket. Is there any way UA will refund me the difference of fare?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 2019 at 12:32 pm Reason: Moved to consolidate thread
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Unless there is a significant schedule change, no.

In the same way UA would not come after you for price differences going the other way.

Other airlines have the same SOP. This is not unique to UA.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I believe UA has a standing policy of reissuing the ticket in this case for a $50 administrative fee and refunding the rest, as long as it was booked in the last 30 days. Never hurts to ask politely.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLrunner
Hi,
Last week, I booked a trip on UA and partners from Wash DC to Kenya in September. Today the exact same flights are $250 cheaper per ticket. Is there any way UA will refund me the difference of fare?
Originally Posted by findark
I believe UA has a standing policy of reissuing the ticket in this case for a $50 administrative fee and refunding the rest, as long as it was booked in the last 30 days. Never hurts to ask politely.
yes, exactly. You should get $200 back. This works for all UA tickets in my experience even those including partner flights.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by findark
Not sure "refund" is the best way to describe it as it has never gone back on my CC. Instead, I receive a TCVA for future use.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slippahs
Not sure "refund" is the best way to describe it as it has never gone back on my CC. Instead, I receive a TCVA for future use.
agreed it is usually an ETC. I have gotten a refund to my CC before as well., not sure why.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If this is a standing policy, then CSRs are not being trained to inform customers, and are gladly assessing change fee of $200+ plus fare differences.

Is this stated anywhere on UA?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
If this is a standing policy, then CSRs are not being trained to inform customers, and are gladly assessing change fee of $200+ plus fare differences. ...
"fare differences"??? this only applies to a fare drop of greater than $100. Probably pretty uncommon to be noticed except for folks that keep checking prices after purchase (or using a fare drop service)

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Is this stated anywhere on UA?
Not that I am aware of. But this has been in place for a long time (pmUA had no minimum delta and no fee until 2010? -- but services like yapta made it too easy to track)
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:13 am

United Price Drop Policy?

I made reservations 4 days ago and I looked at the prices today and found that they are $84 cheaper. I know that United only has a 24 hour price change policy, but I was reading about an unpublished policy that they can give you a voucher for the price difference if it is within 30 days. Has anyone tried this and does it work? There are 2 of us flying so it would be great to save $160 but I don't want to worry about calling if it won't even work.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2019 at 11:14 am Reason: Moved to consodidated thread
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rebecca_b
I made reservations 4 days ago and I looked at the prices today and found that they are $84 cheaper. I know that United only has a 24 hour price change policy, but I was reading about an unpublished policy that they can give you a voucher for the price difference if it is within 30 days. .....
Yes such a policy/ practice exists BUT it requires $100 reduction (per ticket) and UA charges a $50 service fee. See this thread wiki for more explanation.

And yes, posters have had recent success with these refunds
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
I asked very politely and I got the full refund of the fare difference without the $50 charge per ticket. I did have to book a new itinerary at the lower price and then UA customer service cancelled and refunded the old itinerary. And gained a more loyal customer.

FWIW my fare drop was $170 per ticket times 4 tickets.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by DLrunner; Mar 5, 2019 at 12:06 pm Reason: Additional info provided

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.